Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Doubt anybody is going to rat out Tom Brady or Bill B. This is what I thought happened all along...that someone switched the bag of footballs once they left the official's/locker room. It's the only thing that makes sense. Has anybody heard of the 12 extra footballs were at the required psi at halftime?
They usually get 25 footballs ready, but only twelve are the ones to be used.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:49 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Read this article:

NFL bears plenty of blame for #DeflateGate | ProFootballTalk

I posted this previously - guess you didn't read it
Are there any real grounds for calling this a sting operation? Or is that speculation.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Default HeadSmart Labs: Experiment vindicates Patriots

A Science Lab study using brand new official NFL Footballs...

All footballs are inflated to 12.5 PSI at 75 degrees...like they would be in a locker room...the balls are then put in a 50 degree room and made wet (there was heavy rain in the AFC Title game and about 45 degrees by halftime of the game).

Facts:
#1 Colder air will condense the air and decrease PSI in a ball
#2 Wet leather will expand and therefore decrease the PSI in a leather football.

Experiment Results:
The footballs lost PSI of up to 1.95 PSI --- perfectly in line with what the Patriot balls were. Keep in mind, only 1 Patriot ball was down 2 PSI. The rest lost less than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxsXFX3tDpg

Remember:

1) Andrew Luck's balls started off at 13.5 PSI, Brady's at 12.5 PSI. The Colt's balls can fall 1 PSI and still be legal.
2) The Colt's footballs may have been measured indoors during halftime giving them time to reacclimatise.
3) The Colt's balls may have been drier and wamer from the proximity to their sideline heater, both of which would increase their PSI in relation to a colder and wetter leather ball.

Scientifically speaking - a dry leather football at 12.5 PSI in a 75 degree room will fall up to 1.95 PSI in a wet 50 degree environment. Stop denying science and end the witch hunt.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
It's pretty laughable how quickly fans and the media forget what other teams have done and single out the Patriots as if they're the only organization that has ever cheated. They claim there's a culture of cheating when to date, they've been penalized for one infraction.

Broncos - Salary cap violations during a Super Bowl winning season
Steelers and Jets - coaches clearly interfering with play on the field
Saints - their illegal bounty program that could have lead to season, or career ending injuries
Seahawks - their coach was essentially run out of college football after what he did at USC. Not to mention the PED suspensions for some of their players
Lions - Multiple instances of their players intentionally trying to injure players as they lay on the ground

Other teams in the NFL have had player suspended for PED violations as well.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Honestly I don't even know. Like I said, this whole thing is a farce. I'm waiting for Stone Cold Steve Austin to come out during the Super Bowl and lay some whoop-ass on the field.

This whole story has been speculation since it leaked.
Well, the balls were deflated and that is not speculation.. so.. the WHOLE STORY is not speculation.... The speculation revolves around HOW they got deflated. I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that either the Pats did it or the Refs did it.. Until the recent report that a Patriots locker room attendant was seen on video tape removing the balls from the refs locker room.. i honestly felt that the Pats likely gave the refs the ball at 2lbs less PSI than was supposed to be in them and the refs simply didn't check them before the game.. now I am not so sure.

Short of the NFL coming out and admitting the balls being under inflated was the refs fault, which still could happen, the Patriots will never get the stink of this story off of then.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:51 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
LMAO... you sure twist everything around to what YOU want things to be! Don't quite think I've seen anything quite like you! SMH...again.
I don't want anything more than the truth to come out. Why is it OK for you to come on here and tell everybody what it can't be and no one else can say what they think it might be! If you want to have your way, stick to the Patriots thread. This is the one about the possible cheating. You are not the police here. SMH to you too, what ever the heck that means.

So what do you think happened? Did the attendant do it all on his own volition? So far these "leaks" have been pretty much on target. 11 of 12 balls seems to be pretty much right on.

Tammi must be n luv w/ Tommy and is blinded by luv.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 01-26-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I got a sneaky feeling that the NFL is not perusing youtube for the answer to this puzzle.. but who knows!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Ok, suppose the Colts inflated their balls to 13.5, the maximum and the Pats 12.5 the minimum. If they both lost one lb going from 72 degrees to 50, then Colts would be at 12.5 still legal and the Pats would be at 11.5, no longer within the rules.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
No one wants to believe or even consider this. This is the Patriots we're talking about. It just has to be cheating - a deliberate intent to undermine the integrity of the game and to gain unfair advantage on the rest of the NFL. Belicheat and Shady are at the helm.

Look at some of the facts - the Patriots fumble at such a low rate, it has to be soft footballs and nothing to do with coaching. 9 AFC Championships in 14 years - no team can be that good without gaining an edge somewhere. And there's always Spy Gate to hang a hat on.

BURN 'EM AT THE STAKE!!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I don't want anything more than the truth to come out. Way is it OK for you to come on here and tell everybody what it can't be and no one else can say what they think it might be! If you want to have your way, stick to the Patriots thread. This is the one about the possible cheating. You are not the police here. SMH to you too, what ever the heck that means.

So what do you think happened? Did the attendant do it all on his own volition? So far these "leaks" have been pretty much on target. 11 of 12 balls seems to be pretty much right on.

Tammi must be n luv w/ Tommy and is blinded by luv.
The ONLY leaks that we know of "on target" as you speak of are the soft balls. That's it, nothing else. And that one fact tells NOTHING about the truth or the reasoning or anything for that matter. I've said it a trillion times - until an official report is issued, all we have are unsubstantiated leaks and science either coming to the rescue or debunking any environmental reasoning (Nye guy for whatever he's worth). Up until now this has been nothing but a witch hunt handled miserably by the press and the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Ok, suppose the Colts inflated their balls to 13.5, the maximum and the Pats 12.5 the minimum. If they both lost one lb going from 72 degrees to 50, then Colts would be at 12.5 still legal and the Pats would be at 11.5, no longer within the rules.
From the science perspective this has already been mentioned. It "appears" viable, but in truth you would have to know exactly the environment both teams footballs were in from 2.5 hours before the game all the way to halftime to truly make a scientific argument about deflation.

This is one big OMFG. I, as a Patriots fan, also want the truth. But I, as a Patriots fan, think the rest of the free world has been on the attack with no proof but Spy Gate and assumptions of habitual cheating. Why can't everyone just wait until we hear some REAL news about this issue instead of believing in leaks. People are so freaking animalistic (don't think that's a real word, but whatever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football