Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 03:11 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times

Advertisements

So now, what if the Patriots lose in the Superbowl? What if Brady's passing rating is lower than normal? You know darn well the psi in the SB footballs will not be less than 12.5. He will be under even more pressure now to perform well, because if he doesn't, it throws all his games this season into question.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:17 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Short of acquiring an official NFL football my self, I would be willing to listen to a disinterested party who could handle one with 12.5 psi versus 10.5 psi and see if they can tell the difference. How about a blind test by several people with hands about the size of Brady's?
I do agree with this somewhat as it would be a scientific test other than the PSI in the environment test.

But with accusations still flying with an ongoing investigation, things are still unknown.

I used to play some pick up hockey. I had a particular stick I liked so I had a couple of them. I had a spare which was different. When my favorite broke and I played with it, I honestly didn't even think about it because my mind was on skating and trying to score. So a QB likes a ball a certain way pre-game. He is concentrating on the ball for grip etc. But once he's in the huddle with precious seconds to spare, I would think the actual football would be the last thing on his mind. To couple it with a windy and rainy day, there could be all sorts of reasons he may not be happy with a throw.

I watched many cheaters before that sold me on believing in them. I was duped. Until proven directly guilty, I guess I believe in innocent until proven guilty. Lance Armstrong or a sprinter - any cheating was with direct knowledge. Nobody touches their equipment I assume and can doctor it without knowledge, and they took performance enhancers knowingly. But a QB or a pitcher - once in the game they are just tossed balls and they play. Those balls are touched by many people and out of their control after any pre-game stuff. When your mind is focused on the game, the actual ball isn't talked about.

Cheating is an ugly animal for sure. I think it's harder in sports to look at a team of players and coaches to know how a cheat was perpetrated versus individual athletics like sprinting. Sure players on a team can do PED's, but in a case like this recent one in the NFL, it is very difficult to decipher.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:21 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Depends on who is cheating whether people care or not. For some reason they seem to care more when the cheating is in sports.
How do you teach your kids not to cheat, when the NFL says it's ok to cheat?

Come on, football is a rough, dangerous, sport. Just like boxing, sometimes I find the games hard to watch. Can't there be some ethics and morals in the game? This is just too blatant. Cheating is deceitful and harmful. Plus, why was it done? The Pats wanted the super bowl ring at any cost? Is it worth it?

I guess some people think if you can pull the wool over people's eyes and outsmart someone that makes them a hot shot. The coach of the Pats has gotten away with cheating in the past, so he thinks he is cool and can keep up the farce of being a big shot coach.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:21 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
So now, what if the Patriots lose in the Superbowl? What if Brady's passing rating is lower than normal? You know darn well the psi in the SB footballs will not be less than 12.5. He will be under even more pressure now to perform well, because if he doesn't, it throws all his games this season into question.
If you've watched him his entire career, in recent years he has put up stinkers. Those past two Super Bowl losses he was not stellar, so it wouldn't prove a thing. He had some pretty bad games this year, in good weather no less.

But we digress. I still say we need to wait until the report comes about before we even begin to draw conclusions. I think in every cheating scandal in any sport I have followed, it always plays out the same way. All sort of accusations fly, and yes, many times they are true, but not always. There can always be more to the story.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:26 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
If the QB is planning to throw the ball and does so quickly, he probably can't tell if a ball is low in pressure from one ball to the next. Especially if they are all the same (11/12). I wonder though, when the QB tucks the ball and runs with it, doesn't he instinctively grip it harder so that it cannot be stripped? Should a Pro QB be able to tell that a ball has low pressure in that circumstance?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I listened to both press conferences today and Brady was pretty vague. He didn't make a statement, just opened it up for questions. I don't know what to think but the media types were not satisfied with his responses. They were surprised by the coach (as was I) because he is notoriously not that detailed in his pressers. How does the NFL handle this will be the question!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
The Pats are a completely ethically defunct organization and a total sham. I used to think it all stemmed from Belichick's win at any cost, use any dirty trick and cheat and don't get caught mentality, but it looks like Brady is a big part of it too. He's a primadona totally obsessed with his own image and he'll do anything to make himself look good. Then there's Gronkowski who puts on that frat boy act. And don't forget the psycho murderer. I've never seen a group trying so hard to put on a false front. I really feel sorry for their fans, what an embarrassment they must be.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:15 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd3D2gsPUR0

Old 01-22-2015, 05:29 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The Pats are a completely ethically defunct organization and a total sham. I used to think it all stemmed from Belichick's win at any cost, use any dirty trick and cheat and don't get caught mentality, but it looks like Brady is a big part of it too. He's a primadona totally obsessed with his own image and he'll do anything to make himself look good. Then there's Gronkowski who puts on that frat boy act. And don't forget the psycho murderer. I've never seen a group trying so hard to put on a false front. I really feel sorry for their fans, what an embarrassment they must be.
Don't bring Hernandez into this discussion. The team cit him right away and offered a jersey exchange for fans. There have been other teams in the NFL that have stood behind players on their teams after doing awful things. You're also assuming the Patriots always cheat, which is clearly not the case. You clearly do not follow the Patriots if you think Gronk puts on a frat boy act and Brady is obsessed with his own image.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Short of acquiring an official NFL football my self, I would be willing to listen to a disinterested party who could handle one with 12.5 psi versus 10.5 psi and see if they can tell the difference. How about a blind test by several people with hands about the size of Brady's?
A tv station did just that today at the Official Pat's store in Foxboro today. That bought two Official footballs, took 2psi out of one and asked people leaving the store to handle both balls and tell the reporter if they could tell the difference. Out of the 5 people they showed, only one said he felt a difference...the ball was underinflated and guess what?? It wasn't!! Goes to show, mind over matter.

Also saw a Raven say this BS is all about one team (Colts) trying to make excuses for losing. Finally someone speaks the truth!

What does that old man Madden have to do with this newest "....gate"? I never heard how this crap started.

I SMH that so many haters have condemned Belichick and Brady. Jealousy makes hatred so much more ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football