Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,277,776 times

Advertisements

999 out of 1,000 times, a 1-yard slant to the end zone, a play run extremely fast, will either result in a TD or an incomplete pass due to a bat down.

Carroll's explanation makes sense, in that the defensive package sent out was for stuffing the run (goal line) period. That's a common play close to the goal line. For everyone to scream stupidest play in SB history gives zero credit in the defensive play Butler made. Not only did he read the play, but he perfectly times his jump into the route, AND he intercepted and held onto the ball instead of batting it away.

I totally disagree with all of the bad play talk - instead I see it as a great defensive play, period. It was the 1 in a thousand, and it just so happened to be a game ending play in a Super Bowl.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:48 AM

9,483 posts, read 9,795,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Im a fan of neither but, that had to be THE dumbest play call in super bowl history. Coach should be canned. No exceptions. Talk about snatching defeat frome the jaws of victory. If I were a player, I'd want to be traded.

Amazing: smack:
You would never make it in the NFL.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:49 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,657,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Yeah, it was a stupid play call. Not even a Hail Mary born out of desperation, just a stupid play call. The Patriots didn't beat the Seahawks, the Seahawks beat themselves. Still, it was a good Superbowl for who played in it.
Still, no credit given where credit is due.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:51 AM

5,071 posts, read 6,110,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I thought it very strange that Belichick had not called a time out to save time for his team to attempt a comeback after the certain touchdown Seattle was going to score. Then there comes an odd call and a pickoff. The Patriots win one of the most unlikely games in NFL history. And in the post game celebration and interviews Belichick is not seen smiling once.

Is he a freaking alien or something?
Everyone at our party was screaming for Coach B to call a timeout before the play that ended the game for Seattle.....he looked a little confused, but if he had called a timeout it might have given Wilson some time to plead his case for the Beast.

As we watched the end of the game we knew with two minutes on the clock it was a lifetime and anything was possible.

Just like the Hawks comeback against Greenbay.......until that clock ticks 00 anything is possible!

Old 02-02-2015, 06:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,847,802 times
Watching with a group of Pats fans, we could not believe the decision. One guy in our group was saying the Pats should just let Seattle score so there is more time available for a last chance drive.... Pete Carroll changed to a run play when he saw the Pats put out there run defense. The pass could have been a one time attempt without a downside, except Carroll overlooked the possibility of an interception. With so many players jammed into a small area along the goal line, an interception is a distinct possibility...

Old 02-02-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Everyone at our party was screaming for Coach B to call a timeout before the play that ended the game for Seattle.....he looked a little confused, but if he had called a timeout it might have given Wilson some time to plead his case for the Beast.

As we watched the end of the game we knew with two minutes on the clock it was a lifetime and anything was possible.

Just like the Hawks comeback against Greenbay.......until that clock ticks 00 anything is possible!
Belichick has always been stingy with his timeouts. I figured, he was saving the timeout and would call one after this play.. assuming the Pats stopped the Seahawks.. but who knows. If the Hawks had scored and the Pats got the ball with like 20 seconds and 3 timeouts.. geez.. Belichick was look stupid but instead its Carroll who looks stupid for calling a pass play.. I guess they can afford to look stupid occasionally...

Old 02-02-2015, 07:06 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,147,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Im a fan of neither but, that had to be THE dumbest play call in super bowl history. Coach should be canned. No exceptions. Talk about snatching defeat frome the jaws of victory. If I were a player, I'd want to be traded.

Amazing: smack:
LOL...what makes me laugh is not ONCE has anyone given credit to the D Back for making an amazing read...

Sure it wasnt the best call but give me a break, that play gets made once in a thousand times by the d back. LOL so many armchair coaches out there its laughable.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:08 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,277,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
999 out of 1,000 times, a 1-yard slant to the end zone, a play run extremely fast, will either result in a TD or an incomplete pass due to a bat down.

Carroll's explanation makes sense, in that the defensive package sent out was for stuffing the run (goal line) period. That's a common play close to the goal line. For everyone to scream stupidest play in SB history gives zero credit in the defensive play Butler made. Not only did he read the play, but he perfectly times his jump into the route, AND he intercepted and held onto the ball instead of batting it away.

I totally disagree with all of the bad play talk - instead I see it as a great defensive play, period. It was the 1 in a thousand, and it just so happened to be a game ending play in a Super Bowl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
LOL...what makes me laugh is not ONCE has anyone given credit to the D Back for making an amazing read...

Sure it wasnt the best call but give me a break, that play gets made once in a thousand times by the d back. LOL so many armchair coaches out there its laughable.
That's what I said previously.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

Agreed, if you read the comments here, it reads as if Carroll told Wilson to take a knee and let the Pats win.. geez.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,830,986 times
This thread was moved over from current events early this morning.There is already three threads going here regarding the game.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.