Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,323,438 times

Advertisements

Pretty much non-existent. No news coverage whatsoever on national news or in the bigger newspapers. Everybody focused on the Alpine Skiing World Cup in Vail. Some international/Irish pubs showed the game, though, so expats could watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,758,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
On a world wide basis...........Formula one races, cricket test matches, the World Cup of soccer, and in Canada, the Stanley Cup play off series, all have more appeal than the Super Bowel.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Touche LOL.
I went to international schools due to my parents' job and had lived in 3 different continents as a child,
I had never heard Super Bowl until I came to the US. Wimbledon? Yes. Tour de France? Yes. But SuperBowl? Nope. Even then, when I was in Miami it was almost unheard. (Maybe because of South American populations in South Florida? I dont know....but you get the point!)

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 02-03-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 03:37 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,701,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Pretty much non-existent. No news coverage whatsoever on national news or in the bigger newspapers. Everybody focused on the Alpine Skiing World Cup in Vail. Some international/Irish pubs showed the game, though, so expats could watch it.
Thanks for your input

Old 02-03-2015, 05:55 PM

18,063 posts, read 25,162,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Of course it's huge here in the US. Latest numbers say 114 million people viewed it.

Just wondering how it is viewed in Europe, Asia, etc. I'm pretty sure Canadians get a rise out of if due to proximity.

Do other countries schedule their day around Super Bow sunday or is it just casual viewing. We know futbol is huge over there so not sure how american football relates to them.
People watch it around the World, in the same way that people in the US watch the UEFA (Europe) Champions League.... there's people that watch it, but it's rare.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:11 PM

231 posts, read 460,915 times
Lets say all my non-American from England, Mexico, to Holland were txting me on whatsapp talking about how packed the bars were there for the SuperBowl. Apparently its like that every year. I guess they love our game.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM

18,063 posts, read 25,162,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
Lets say all my non-American from England, Mexico, to Holland were txting me on whatsapp talking about how packed the bars were there for the SuperBowl. Apparently its like that every year. I guess they love our game.
Goes with my point,
bars also get packed in the US during the World Cup

Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,323,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
Considering that TVs aren't as common in European bars as in American ones and that not all bars with TVs show the Super Bowl, that's not too surprising. I know of two bars here in Vienna that showed the game. About 300 people attended. In a city of 1.7M.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:24 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,316,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Of course it's huge here in the US. Latest numbers say 114 million people viewed it.

Just wondering how it is viewed in Europe, Asia, etc. I'm pretty sure Canadians get a rise out of if due to proximity.

Do other countries schedule their day around Super Bow sunday or is it just casual viewing. We know futbol is huge over there so not sure how american football relates to them.
I lived in Japan for four years and worked with a lot of expats from other countries, and I can tell you that hardly anyone outside North America cares about it. One problem is that while America's tuned into the game, most of the rest of the world is either asleep or just waking up, so even if they did care, they probably wouldn't commit to the weird schedule. But when I lived there, it took a lot of effort just to find a bar that would show the SB live.

First year there, I had to take a train to a place two hours from my apartment and the owner overslept and opened late - we missed the first quarter. Got a little easier the next few years, as I was able to find a place in the city that would carry it livel. Apparently, this owner figured out he could make money off us Yanks after repeatedly getting calls about opening up the bar on a Monday morning.

But most people really couldn't give a peep. They don't understand the rules, or why the game starts and then stops. The Anglos relate more to rugby, and the Europeans and South Americans seem to relate more to FIFA football (like most of the world). Most of the world tends to gravitate toward games that are non-stop and no amount of trying to explain the strategy or the beauty of the game is going to convince them.

It's not surprising because most Americans are the same way: if we didn't grow up playing hockey or soccer or rugby as kids, we're not going to relate to it. You might get a few junkies who get into the game for odd reasons, but other than that, people tend to identify with their own experience. And the Super Bowl is the ultimate game in a uniquely American adaptation of the game of rugby, er, football.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:10 PM

8,242 posts, read 8,586,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Polls out there can be skewed, but only an estimated 35% of the population watched the SB….that leaves 65% who didn't
Recent immigrants, infants, severely mentally ill, Alzheimer's and coma patients, homeless, people that had to work, prisoners, subtract those and the percentages would change. It was the most watched TV event in history so it was a big deal.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:21 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,701,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Recent immigrants, infants, severely mentally ill, Alzheimer's and coma patients, homeless, people that had to work, prisoners, subtract those and the percentages would change. It was the most watched TV event in history so it was a big deal.
Yeah getting 35% of Americans doing any one thing is an accomplishment by itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football