Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
The Giants nearly brought a tear to my macho eye (my other eye was ballin').

When Barber dissed Eli Manning just before Week 1, that was the best thing to happen to Eli. It motivated him, although it took some time for that to manifest itself. :D

I agree. I nearly lost my voice from shouting at the refs. My friends had to put a restraining order between me and the TV.
I was listening to NYC sports radio on the way in today and a caller made the point that it's an absent SHOCKEY not being all in Eli's face in the huddle that's making the difference. As soon as Shockey was out - Eli came to life. The announcers (Boomer being one of them) thought that was a valid point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:29 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
Quote:

The Patriots will obviously be a tough challenge. But they're not playing as well as they did the first few months of the season. Go Giants!!
um, they're playing well enough to be 18-0

And every week, people have claimed their next opponent would be "the one" they couldn't handle. The Jags were supposed to be too much for the Pats, the Chargers were supposed to be too much, too.
Haven't seen it happen yet....

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I was listening to NYC sports radio on the way in today and a caller made the point that it's an absent SHOCKEY not being all in Eli's face in the huddle that's making the difference. As soon as Shockey was out - Eli came to life. The announcers (Boomer being one of them) thought that was a valid point.
We were talking about the same during last weeks game. Seems like no Shockey equals no turmoil. I think the Giants may shop him at the end of the season. I like him as a player but I don't care for the extra baggage like the on field antics and not reporting to camp. Kevin Boss looks good considering he's a rookie. On a side note, what do you think the Giants are thinking about "NOT" giving Jay Feely the six million he was looking for?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Wow, I didn't even think about that! Here I was thinking how impressed I am w/ the Giants offense that they made it to the SB despite not having Shockey. But I see your point that they made it to the big show b/c of not having him. Very interesting.

That said, Shockey has so much talent that I don't think anyone can really replace him. Sure, there might be better receiving tight ends, like the Cowboys' Witten. But he also does the little things, like block and to be the "x factor" in the locker room and huddle to pump up the team. But I didn't know he was making Manning nervous like that.

Boss has played very well as Shockey's replacement and who knows how the rookie will turn out. I'd still prefer Shockey over Boss, baggage or not.

Speaking of Boss, the Giants' had a great draft this season w/ all these over-achieving rookies.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
um, they're playing well enough to be 18-0

And every week, people have claimed their next opponent would be "the one" they couldn't handle. The Jags were supposed to be too much for the Pats, the Chargers were supposed to be too much, too.
Haven't seen it happen yet....
I just meant that the Patriots were blowing everyone out of the water Sept.-Nov. and are squeaking wins and not even covering the point spread for the past 1.5 mos.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Wow, I didn't even think about that! Here I was thinking how impressed I am w/ the Giants offense that they made it to the SB despite not having Shockey. But I see your point that they made it to the big show b/c of not having him. Very interesting.

That said, Shockey has so much talent that I don't think anyone can really replace him. Sure, there might be better receiving tight ends, like the Cowboys' Witten. But he also does the little things, like block and to be the "x factor" in the locker room and huddle to pump up the team. But I didn't know he was making Manning nervous like that.

Boss has played very well as Shockey's replacement and who knows how the rookie will turn out. I'd still prefer Shockey over Boss, baggage or not.

Speaking of Boss, the Giants' had a great draft this season w/ all these over-achieving rookies.
Not a bad 2007 pick. They have done well over the past few years. Jerry Reese has done them well.

1 20 Aaron Ross
2 51 Steve Smith
3 81 Jay Alford
4 116 Zak DeOssie
5 153 Kevin Boss
6 189 Adam Koets
7 224 Michael Johnson
7 250 Ahmad Bradshaw

I was kind of hoping for a Charger / Giant superbowl to see how the Manning / Rivers trade would have played out. Either that or Peyton vs. Eli, but I'll settle on the Pats!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
While Favre didn't have a good game, he didn't have that bad of a game. The Packers were beaten on both sides of the ball, flat out. I was REALLY dissappointed in the pass coverage. Plaxico Burress PWNED Al Harris. I was telling my wife by the end of the third quarter that the Giants should just run the exact same play the rest of the game putting Burress on the outside against Harris and they would complete 3 out of every 4.

Ryan Grant never did anything at all, which I thought was a big key for the Packers to win was Grant getting at least 110-120 yards to soften up the passing coverage. The Giants front 4 didn't get that much pressure on Favre overall, but they weren't letting any runs or screens get by at all.

Bottom line is the Packers were outplayed. Just glad they made it as far as they did because before the season I was just hoping they would make the playoffs as a wild card. They are VERY young, and really won't be losing anyone in the offseason. I can easily see Favre deciding to play one more year and saying that he's coming back and that he is retiring after the season, period. Even if he does retire, Aaron Rodgers looked really good when he took over against Dallas. GB also has a lot of room under the salary cap right now to pick up a superstar somewhere. Overall, I think GB will be just as good next year, maybe even better.

But for now, the Giants are tops in the NFC. Congrats on the great game, good luck in the SB.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
While Favre didn't have a good game, he didn't have that bad of a game. The Packers were beaten on both sides of the ball, flat out. I was REALLY dissappointed in the pass coverage. Plaxico Burress PWNED Al Harris. I was telling my wife by the end of the third quarter that the Giants should just run the exact same play the rest of the game putting Burress on the outside against Harris and they would complete 3 out of every 4.

Ryan Grant never did anything at all, which I thought was a big key for the Packers to win was Grant getting at least 110-120 yards to soften up the passing coverage. The Giants front 4 didn't get that much pressure on Favre overall, but they weren't letting any runs or screens get by at all.

Bottom line is the Packers were outplayed. Just glad they made it as far as they did because before the season I was just hoping they would make the playoffs as a wild card. They are VERY young, and really won't be losing anyone in the offseason. I can easily see Favre deciding to play one more year and saying that he's coming back and that he is retiring after the season, period. Even if he does retire, Aaron Rodgers looked really good when he took over against Dallas. GB also has a lot of room under the salary cap right now to pick up a superstar somewhere. Overall, I think GB will be just as good next year, maybe even better.

But for now, the Giants are tops in the NFC. Congrats on the great game, good luck in the SB.
Plaxico was having a field day. I still can't figure why they went away from him in the fourth quarter. The Plaxico of old probably would have taken 2 or 3 unsportsmanlike like penalties locking up with Harris, he may have even gotten himself ejected. They were going at it though! Good game.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Not a bad 2007 pick. They have done well over the past few years. Jerry Reese has done them well.

1 20 Aaron Ross
2 51 Steve Smith
3 81 Jay Alford
4 116 Zak DeOssie
5 153 Kevin Boss
6 189 Adam Koets
7 224 Michael Johnson
7 250 Ahmad Bradshaw

I was kind of hoping for a Charger / Giant superbowl to see how the Manning / Rivers trade would have played out. Either that or Peyton vs. Eli, but I'll settle on the Pats!
Yes, Reese has done well to replace Acorsi. The Giants use to bomb in drafts (at least 1st round), but maybe their draft pick luck is finally changing.

I also wanted to see Manning vs. Manning SB or Eli/Phil. Here's to hoping Brady has another off-game. : \

Old 01-21-2008, 11:42 AM

BTW, I wonder if TO cried again after last night's game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football