Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times

Advertisements

Like for one, does it really want anything when a player is out there on the football field? A long with actual football speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
Probably the most overrated stat ever. As a Raiders fan, I have watched them draft some of the fastest players over the years and pretty much all of them have been busts. Of course slower players they passed on went on to become Pro Bowlers and Hall of Famers.

Here are some of them:

Jacoby Ford (4.28)
Darrius Heyward-Bey (4.30)
Stanford Routt (4.27),
Darren McFadden (4.33)
DeMarcus Van Dyke (4.28)
Taiwan Jones (4.33)
Terrelle Pryor (4.36)
Fabian Washington (4.29)

Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
For wide receivers and defensive backs it's a measure of performance. For ANY line position it's meaningless. For defensive lineman and even linebackers to some degree, cut that distance in half. For offensive lineman what's important is how quick you are in 10 yards. The emphasis is size and quickness. How fast you react after the ball is snapped will be one of the main determining factors.

Even running back's success isn't hinged on a great 40 yard dash time. The important thing is how quick can you hit the hole, are you quick enough to evade tacklers, and whether you're tenacious or not.

Quarterback position, totally meaningless. Last I checked no NFL team is running an option offense. Heck, the running back position has been downgraded in importance dramatically as more and more teams resort to the passing game even when only short yardage is needed. Not always a smart move as Seattle found out in the Super Bowl.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
I agree with the above. If your defensive lineman are running 40 yards down the field, usually that's not a good thing.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
The best WR in history, Jerry Rice, ran a 4.71.

Best RB in history, Emmitt Smith, ran a 4.8.

Like I said 40 times are overrated.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:58 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post

Love your stats. Says it all.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post

Definate proof that combine performance often gets over and/or underrated against the complete package of the player.

Although I do not know their combine results, Andre Reed (WR) and Thurman Thomas (RB), both hall of famers, were not going to run away from too many guys on the field either. Neither had true breakaway speed.

Ranking skill positions by 0-40 alone ignores the importance of these athlete to be able to make cuts and quickly accelerate after a cut/stop. Some of the best 0-40 guys can just run fast in a straight line, which limits their true effectiveness.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
For wide receivers and defensive backs it's a measure of performance. For ANY line position it's meaningless. For defensive lineman and even linebackers to some degree, cut that distance in half. For offensive lineman what's important is how quick you are in 10 yards. The emphasis is size and quickness. How fast you react after the ball is snapped will be one of the main determining factors.

Even running back's success isn't hinged on a great 40 yard dash time. The important thing is how quick can you hit the hole, are you quick enough to evade tacklers, and whether you're tenacious or not.

Quarterback position, totally meaningless. Last I checked no NFL team is running an option offense. Heck, the running back position has been downgraded in importance dramatically as more and more teams resort to the passing game even when only short yardage is needed. Not always a smart move as Seattle found out in the Super Bowl.
Especially the part about the quarterback position. Which is ridiculous, the qb should be focused on throwing not running.

smh

Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I think there is importance to QB mobility in the NFL. 0-40 is not the end all, but guys like Russell Wilson have had a lot of success by using their legs as well as their arms.

Even non running QB's need to be able to avoid the rush, get out of the pocket, and not get chased down too quickly by fleet linebackers when buying time for receivers.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think there is importance to QB mobility in the NFL. 0-40 is not the end all, but guys like Russell Wilson have had a lot of success by using their legs as well as their arms.

Even non running QB's need to be able to avoid the rush, get out of the pocket, and not get chased down too quickly by fleet linebackers when buying time for receivers.
Yeah, but you don't see Peyton Manning running as much. You don't want your qb to be a Mike Vicki by running more than passing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football