Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:28 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times

Advertisements

Saturdays in the Fall :: Deflated Balls: Brady vs. A-Rod

Interesting take. I'm sure plenty of people have strong opinions that steroids are worse than deflating footballs, but when it comes down to it, cheating is cheating. A-Rod missed a whole season, plus the playoffs, while Brady misses a few games.

Making it worse is the fact that the Pats are repeat offenders where this kind of stuff is concerned. Why won't the league drop the hammer on these guys? It would be one thing if they were an also-ran or noncontender, but the Pats are in the Super Bowl hunt year in and year out.

Sometimes I think the league gives them preferential treatment because they know it stokes the hatred from fans of every other team, which in a weird twist, translates to more viewers and more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
Well for starters, the NFL isn't the MLB. Also most people thought A-Rod's career was over (which isn't quite true as we are now witnessing), so losing A-Rod won't lose much money for baseball. NFL without Brady will be a severe money-loser.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:18 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
One extra factor is that is appears, thru advanced stats, that this "arc" of fumbles has been happening for YEARS, so Brady has been doctoring these balls for almost a decade, its not like he just started doing it.

One BIGGER factor is the Hall of Fame. A Rod might not get in, ever. Brady will get in no problem, and that's a massive factor for people who are in their late 30s, HOF is very important to these guys.

The Last factor is this. If you look at the fumble stats, it appears that Brady and the Pats are the only ones who were taking this specific edge while A Rod was playing against Pitchers who were cheating the way he was and he was in a "cheating era" where everyone was doing it...with Brady, he's the only one doing this specific type of cheating.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:07 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
The Last factor is this. If you look at the fumble stats, it appears that Brady and the Pats are the only ones who were taking this specific edge while A Rod was playing against Pitchers who were cheating the way he was and he was in a "cheating era" where everyone was doing it...with Brady, he's the only one doing this specific type of cheating.
You really believe then other teams weren't doing anything and Brady was the lone person gaining a competitive advantage in the NFL, IF in fact he did since there STILL is no proof. OK.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 05-12-2015 at 05:43 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 05:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
I equate deflategate with corking a bat in MLB. Sammy Sosa corked his bat and was suspended 8 games, or roughly 5% of the MLB season. Brady deflates footballs and is suspended for 25% of the season. Doesn't equate in my book.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
NFL without Brady will be a severe money-loser.
You can't be serious.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
I don't think Brady is a lone ranger in this deflating the football saga... but i bet he will be the last... I like the comparison of a corked bat to a deflated football... and the NFL will not loose a ton of money with Brady on the sidelines.. in fact, i bet more folks will tune in to see Brady miss that opener than might have if there had been no deflate gate. In the end, its a PR hit for the NFL, the Patriots and Brady, but lets be honest.. non will be hurting for cash any time soon.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
A-Rod was suspended in part as an example based on the long term and widespread use of steroids. He is just the most recent in a long line of juicers who have seen punishments and consequences ratchet ever upwards in the league's effort to curtail PED's.

Brady and the Pats were caught cheating, but to this point they are the only ones who have been caught and are the first ones.

I would have liked to see a bigger suspension for Brady myself, but I do not think the situation in MLB is at all the same as the one in the NFL.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
The patriots both times have been heavily fined and had draft picks taken away. Where is this preferential treatment

Old 05-12-2015, 12:52 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
comparing football to baseball is like....well, comparing football to baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football