Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times

Advertisements

It seems like the AFL has lost momentum after their one-year hiatus from bankruptcy. After having as many as 19 teams in the last decade, the league has lost teams every year since its reboot and despite adding at least one team each year in response, the league still now only has 12 teams.

In the past years, the AFL has folded classic teams like the Chicago Rush, Georgia Force, Utah Blaze and Kansas City Command.

The new AFL commissioner wants to add 8-12 teams over the next three years, which would mean 20-24 teams if no more teams were to fold. Is that plausible? Has arena football have anything left in the tank? Why has arena football has problems with keeping popularity unlike football, basketball, baseball, or hockey? Do you like arena football?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
It seems like the AFL has lost momentum after their one-year hiatus from bankruptcy. After having as many as 19 teams in the last decade, the league has lost teams every year since its reboot and despite adding at least one team each year in response, the league still now only has 12 teams.

In the past years, the AFL has folded classic teams like the Chicago Rush, Georgia Force, Utah Blaze and Kansas City Command.

The new AFL commissioner wants to add 8-12 teams over the next three years, which would mean 20-24 teams if no more teams were to fold. Is that plausible? Has arena football have anything left in the tank? Why has arena football has problems with keeping popularity unlike football, basketball, baseball, or hockey? Do you like arena football?
Arena football has its place in a corner of the American market, but is dwarfed by the popularity of both the NFL and college football. Even High school football has a major following of its own.

My guess is that arena football is considered to be a bit too quirky and outside the realm of those who are purists. However, even most casual observers of football would most likely prefer mainstream football to arena.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are fanatical followers of arena football, and that will always be the case, but in smaller numbers. Just my humble opinion!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:42 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
The AFL should focus on expansion after the 12 existing teams are financially and operationally successful. It does not need to see franchises relocating or folding each season.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
arena football has plenty of issues to deal with. as noted the popularity of the NFL and college football dwarf the AFL. and major league baseball also cuts into the AFL attendance. so unless there is a players strike somewhere that would put the spotlight back on the AFL, they are going to continue to struggle.

another issue, at least for me, is the basketball like scores in these games. i mean winning 88-86 because each team scores a touchdown every possession isnt all that much fun.

the lack of weather having an effect on the game, at least some of them, is also a factor. granted when you go to the northeast you want to be in a domed stadium, but get into the southwest and you should be playing outdoors.

i would like to see it harder to score in arena football, but i dont want the flavor of the game to change a lot. jsut enough to make it interesting to watch again.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:18 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
My first exposure to indoor football was a minor league of sorts team, the Evansville BlueCats. I worked with one of the cheerleaders, and she gave a few of us tickets to a game. The final score was something like 74-71. The production value was good; but watching the two teams score every time was just not interesting to me.

I've since caught some of the AFL games on tv; but the game just doesn't do it for me. If Indianapolis were to get an AFL team, I would be willing to try again.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i would like to see it harder to score in arena football, but i dont want the flavor of the game to change a lot. jsut enough to make it interesting to watch again.
1st and 15 like six man football? Three downs like Canadian football? Add an extra person on the field?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
1st and 15 like six man football? Three downs like Canadian football? Add an extra person on the field?
any of these changes are possible. another idea would be to make the teams have a running play for each set of downs. it could go something like this, four downs, need 20 yards for a first down and at least one play has to be a running play.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Quote:
any of these changes are possible. another idea would be to make the teams have a running play for each set of downs. it could go something like this, four downs, need 20 yards for a first down and at least one play has to be a running play.
A mandated running play may be nice, and this would assume that all teams actually have an adequate running game!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
A mandated running play may be nice, and this would assume that all teams actually have an adequate running game!
whether they have an adequate running game or not, it would force the teams to run the ball at least once per series of downs, and of course that would force the teams to develop a running game.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
whether they have an adequate running game or not, it would force the teams to run the ball at least once per series of downs, and of course that would force the teams to develop a running game.
I would love to see mandatory running plays. I'm not sure how you can do that without the defense having the advantage of knowing one of four downs will be a run play. But if they made rules to strengthen the run game it'd be good, plus longer possessions and fewer scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football