Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Great win by the next Super Bowl champions! Cowboy fan here who was glad to see y'all spank that Green and Gold everywhichway but Sunday! Demolish those 49ers and bring home the trophy that should always be in the NFC East!
Wow...most NFC East fans arent that diplomatic. I have friends that are NFC East fans and they were pulling hard for the Pack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Key word there is Cowboy fan, not much to cheer for, and if they want it to stay in the east so bad why don't they get to the playoffs and contribute?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
so true. i don't think any of us could've envisioned the giants having such a lopsided edge in time of possession. i mean, we all figured that the giants defense would have to step up, big time (and they did), but the game plan to play "keep away" via a ball control offense - moving the chains methodically with power running and timely passes - worked to perfection.

and yet the giants still barely won!

what if mark ingram doesn't convert the first down on that 3rd-and-15? that was one of the most incredible "run-after-the-catch" individual efforts i've ever seen.

what if o.j. anderson couldn't move the chains? the guy was over the hill and seemingly had lead in his shoes; he was the total embodiment of a "grinder". leading up to the game, i really didn't know if o.j. could run effectively - and i certainly wouldn't have guessed that the giants could've controlled the ball like they did with such a plodding (yet bruising) runner.

and how about when on the final play from scrimmage before scott norwood's ill-fated field goal attempt, thurman thomas rushed all the way down to the 30 yard line to set up the field goal? i actually thought for a second that thomas was going to bust it and go all way to the house. every time he touched the ball in that game, my heart skipped a beat. he was just that scary.

in the end, i remember feeling that the giants really "stole" a title that season. i didn't think they'd beat the niners (but knew they'd play them tough), and i felt there was virtually no chance they'd be able to contain the bills.

for whatever reason, people seem to remember thomas's poor showing in the subsequent three super bowl losses but not that he had a tremendous game in the super bowl vs. the giants. in fact, if the bills had won, he would've been the game's mvp.
So many "ifs" in SB XXV. Ingram's play on 3rd and 15 was the single greatest one person effort to move the sticks, only rivaled by Mark Bavaro 4 years earlier on Monday Night Football against the 49ers when he flattened Ronnie Lott and took on 8 other players to gain 25 yards.

If Jeff Hostetler fumbles the ball in his own end zone when Bruce Smith tackled him for a safety. If Dave Meggett, on the same drive as Ingram's catch and run, is tackled on 3rd and 5, instead of breaking a tackle at the line of scrimmage, if Thurman Thomas isn't tackled by Everson Walls at the 40 yard line after he breaks out a 30 yard run on shotgun formation which would have easily turned into a TD, if Myron Guyton doesn't come in last minute and dislodge a pass to Andre Reed which would have gotten the Bills inside the red zone for a sure TD and instead settled for an FG. As you stated, so accurately, the Giants literally stolen that game. I didn't feel like they could have or should have won, because the personnel on the Bills was on a level higher than I have seen a loser of a Super Bowl. That was by far the Bills best Super Bowl team of the 4 editions they fielded.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM

I remember right after the Giants-49ers game earlier this year, in the locker room, post-game, coach Jim Harbaugh was congratulating his team and he said (I quote): "We are going to see these guys again further on down the road, you beat one hell of a football team today, be proud." After the Giants subsequently funked, I thought Harbaugh had overrated the Giants, but I was wrong.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Wow, what a great showing by the GMen!!
There were a couple of points during the game where I thought the refs were trying to even up the game. The fumble non call was one of the worst calls I have witnesses. Then, the Osi personal foul was a joke. Fourteen points came as a result of those two calls. Consider how dominant a performance it was by the Giants if you eliminate the 12th man on the field.
Anyhoo, no disrespect to the Pack, they had a great season, but caught the Giants playing at the level that we Giant fans expected for most of the year.
They better not get complacent because the Niners are no joke. Savor the great win for a day and back to work.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:10 PM

570 posts, read 581,082 times
way to go giants...I knew you can do it...

bear fan bugs...

Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wow, what a great showing by the GMen!!
There were a couple of points during the game where I thought the refs were trying to even up the game. The fumble non call was one of the worst calls I have witnesses. Then, the Osi personal foul was a joke. Fourteen points came as a result of those two calls. Consider how dominant a performance it was by the Giants if you eliminate the 12th man on the field.
Anyhoo, no disrespect to the Pack, they had a great season, but caught the Giants playing at the level that we Giant fans expected for most of the year.
They better not get complacent because the Niners are no joke. Savor the great win for a day and back to work.
They most certainly are not a joke, they're the real deal. If the Packers had beaten the Giants today, they were going to have to get right back at it, because I thought the 49ers were the team with the best shot to beat the Packers at home, not the Giants nor the Saints.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Giants are hot too. NIners D and the Giants D has really come around, should be fun.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Niners will be a tough game...

Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
GIANTS 37
REFS 14
PACKERS 6
The officiating wasn't only terrible in this game, it was pretty bad in all the games this weekend. Let's see what Carl Johnson has to say about the effort of Bill Leavy's crew! How many times have you seen a game in the NFL where a QB had 46 passing attempts and not 1 holding call especially when it's an obvious passing situation and the defense is blitzing? I don't think I have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football