Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 09:52 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,636,181 times

Advertisements

Yep. No shocker after the Eli Manning fiasco of the past week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 09:57 AM

18,193 posts, read 25,763,135 times
I've always had respect for the Mara family, the Giant organization has been a hallmark franchise from decades back. This was needed.

General manager Jerry Reese was shown the door as well.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 AM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yep. No shocker after the Eli Manning fiasco of the past week...
I really think that pulling Eli was a owner decision and McAdoo was no more than the scapegoat and messenger for that. I think the right decision business and future wise was what they did, go to Eli and say we wanna see what the other guys The Giants did what they should have done when they showed Coughlin the door, wiped the house clean.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,636,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I really think that pulling Eli was a owner decision and McAdoo was no more than the scapegoat and messenger for that. I think the right decision business and future wise was what they did, go to Eli and say we wanna see what the other guys The Giants did what they should have done when they showed Coughlin the door, wiped the house clean.
Supposedly, McAdoo somehow bungled the message. Yes, the decision apparently got approval all the way up the chain, but the way the message was delivered, was somehow screwed up by McAdoo. I dont know exactly what that means, or maybe that was double talk to your point, but that was part of why he is being shown the door today (among other reasons).

And I agree--they just delayed the inevitable by not showing everyone the door when Coughlin was fired a couple of years ago...

Old 12-04-2017, 10:27 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
there's no great time to have an HC vacancy I suppose but I think it's better to not wait until the end of the season, especially if you need to hire a front office position that will be making the head coach decision. Once the last game is played, I believe you can start reaching out to potential candidates on non-playoff teams and targeting the other playoff teams staff as they start dropping out of the playoffs.

The next wave of NFL head coaches - 2017 offseason

NFL head coaches in waiting? Hot coordinators in 2017 - NFL.com

Old 12-28-2017, 03:30 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Dave Gettleman just got named GM. Not a bad hire. Good with the cap and willing to make unpopular decisions but not good with player relationships.

Eli Apple suspended for the last game. Probably needs to start over elsewhere and needs to stay away from his mother.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:59 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,678,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
but not good with player relationships.
He will be a good hire and fit in.

You have to remember, Gettlemen is a Yankee from Massachusetts working as a GM in the south....he has a Northeast mentality and that didn't always play well with some in the Panthers organization with thinner skin. He is all business.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:36 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,582,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
He will be a good hire and fit in.

You have to remember, Gettlemen is a Yankee from Massachusetts working as a GM in the south....he has a Northeast mentality and that didn't always play well with some in the Panthers organization with thinner skin. He is all business.
I want ELI to stay but I like this hire and many Coaching candidates say they will not take the job if Eli leaves,so the Head Coach will be a big next step.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:57 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,678,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I want ELI to stay but I like this hire and many Coaching candidates say they will not take the job if Eli leaves,so the Head Coach will be a big next step.
I'm shocked that coaches would not take the job if Eli leaves....seems to me that you'd want a new QB to mold kind of what McVay is doing in LA....

No offense to Eli, but his best days are behind him. He is a 1st class guy and should let him explore other opportunities. The football Giants need to start over.

Disclaimer: I am not a Giants fan.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:04 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,582,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'm shocked that coaches would not take the job if Eli leaves....seems to me that you'd want a new QB to mold kind of what McVay is doing in LA....

No offense to Eli, but his best days are behind him. He is a 1st class guy and should let him explore other opportunities. The football Giants need to start over.

Disclaimer: I am not a Giants fan.
People asked , Cowher,Gruden and Dungy...............all said ,only if Eli were to stay.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-g...back-111772944
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football