Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
You brought Mcnabb into the debate when you started talking smack about Eli. Therefore, I gave it right back to you by talking smack about your QB.

Yes, Eli LED his team to a superbowl and Eli WON a superbowl. Wiithout him the Giants never would have even gotten into the playoffs. Again, Donovan Mcnabb has FAILED to LEAD his team to a superbowl.

Also, let's not foget that Eli came into the leaque in 04 while Mcnabb entered in 99.
Ok then, I can see there is no worth in conversing with you. BTW, there is a difference between silly smack talk (example: Sheli wearing a skirt), and downright nastiness which I certainly wasn't, so chill.

To be honest, I would rather be an Eagles fan the rest of my life and not win a SB then be a Giants fan if they win every year until the end of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 PM

306 posts, read 319,880 times
^
Well, that tis the thing with the Eagles since Mcnabb is there.

They always make thep layoffs, they just don't get far.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
^
Well, that tis the thing with the Eagles since Mcnabb is there.

They always make thep layoffs, they just don't get far.
Definitely better than having a losing record every season.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
I was never an Eli fan, in fact prior to the Superbowl victory, I hated him. I always thought the Giants should have kept Kurt Warner and release Eli. Eli had a moment of clarity during the post season that led to the SB, but I'm still not a big fan. He is not very good when flushed out of the pocket, and his accuracy is inconsistent. He doesn't instill confidence in his receivers either. Look at how a guy like Drew Brees or Peyton Manning command a line and lead the offense, Eli does not have the command presence and does not instill confidence in his teammates. There are a half dozen QB's I'd take over him any day. But we have to do the best with what we've got and I can only hope he gets some help from the defense, which needs to do a better job.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I was never an Eli fan, in fact prior to the Superbowl victory, I hated him. I always thought the Giants should have kept Kurt Warner and release Eli. Eli had a moment of clarity during the post season that led to the SB, but I'm still not a big fan. He is not very good when flushed out of the pocket, and his accuracy is inconsistent. He doesn't instill confidence in his receivers either. Look at how a guy like Drew Brees or Peyton Manning command a line and lead the offense, Eli does not have the command presence and does not instill confidence in his teammates. There are a half dozen QB's I'd take over him any day. But we have to do the best with what we've got and I can only hope he gets some help from the defense, which needs to do a better job.
LOL. You are comparing him to the two best quarterbacks in the NFL.

He is far from the best, but he is definately top 10 and has proven that a team can win with him because he has a ring.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
LOL. You are comparing him to the two best quarterbacks in the NFL.

He is far from the best, but he is definately top 10 and has proven that a team can win with him because he has a ring.
The ring means nothing. Dan Marino was ten times the QB that Eli is and he has no ring. It's a team effort. Lot's of guys on the team get a ring just for being there, even though they did little or nothing to get the team to a SB victory. Jeremy Shockey got a ring that year too while he was out injured all season.

I'd still take Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Kyle Ortin and Aaron Rodgers are all better in my opinion. I would put Eli on the same level as Schaub, Cassel, McNabb, Cutler, and Hasselbeck, all good but not great QB's.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Coolhand makes a good point. You HAVE to have a good supporting cast. Marino and John Elway have several things in common. But Elway won those Super Bowls because Terrell Davis emerged. Marino had ok running backs, but no one in Terrell's class. For many years, Elway had to carry that club on his back, and Marino done the same. Elway had a player that went for over 2000 yards, Marino didn't.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The ring means nothing. Dan Marino was ten times the QB that Eli is and he has no ring. It's a team effort. Lot's of guys on the team get a ring just for being there, even though they did little or nothing to get the team to a SB victory. Jeremy Shockey got a ring that year too while he was out injured all season.

I'd still take Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Kyle Ortin and Aaron Rodgers are all better in my opinion. I would put Eli on the same level as Schaub, Cassel, McNabb, Cutler, and Hasselbeck, all good but not great QB's.
Ok, I agree with your post up until you started listing quarterbacks.

There is NO WAY that the Qb's in bold are better than Eli. Kyle Orton? Are you serious?

Eli is better than Shaub, Cassel, Cutler and Hasselback.

Just my opinion, this topic about qb's could be debated all day.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Thanks for that wonderful post, it shows your intelligence level.
??? I merely gave my opinion....my two cents.....about the N.Y. Giants.
I'm entitled to that.
Now, you want to talk about "intelligence level"? No problem.
You think "Eli" is better than P. Rivers - looks like I win the intelligence contest!
By the way, notice in your recent post how you state that it's your opinion. Well you ain't the only one that's entitled to that right so quit your whining.
Eli = the very definition of inconsistency; an average quarterback, at best.

Friendly banter is one thing, let's not get carried away here. I want a 2 way debate, but do it in a civil manner.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-05-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Ok, I agree with your post up until you started listing quarterbacks.

There is NO WAY that the Qb's in bold are better than Eli. Kyle Orton? Are you serious?

Eli is better than Shaub, Cassel, Cutler and Hasselback.

Just my opinion, this topic about qb's could be debated all day.
Ortin did not have the protection in Chicago and his performance suffered as a result. In Denver he is hitting his stride and showing what he's made of, and I've seen some flashes of good things to come with Ortin. Same with Rivers, he's got a lot more potential with the right protection, just needs a stronger offensive line in front of him.

Being a life long Giants fan, one of my peeves with that team has been their tendency to hold onto mediocre QB's for too long. They are a notoriously cheap franchise that doesn't like to spend money on the best talent available. They finally spring the big bucks and they blow it all on Eli. So far Eli is doing alright, he's way better than Dave Brown, Danny Kannell, Kerry Collins to name a few. But these last three games show that he is inconsistent and does not instill confidence in his offense. A good QB is a good leader, he does not have that leadership trait that other great or very good QB's possess. I'd put Eli on the same level of Phil Simms or Jeff Hostetler in terms of talent and ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football