Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM

121 posts, read 410,658 times

Advertisements

Ever since Eli (or should I say Archie), Manning told the Chargers not to draft him because he wouldn't sign with them, I have lost all respect for the Eli and daddy.

Does this irritate anyone else?

The system is setup so the weakest teams get the better players. Manipulating the system like the Mannings did is just wrong. Dear old daddy Manning just wanted the NY spotlight and for the possibility of a Manning / Manning superbowl. Well, regardless of who Eli plays against, I WILL ALWAYS ROOT AGAINST HIM.

It's too bad Eli has this 3 game winning streak, otherwise he may have been looking for a job.

BTW, I think San Diego is pretty happy how it turned out : getting Merriman and Rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
I thought it was classless and disgusting. I can't imagine why someone would pass a chance to live in San Diego to live in NJ. I guess he wanted to be in at big TV market so he could keep up with big brother in endorsement revenues. Hmm, Peyton is in a small TV market and he isn't doing bad.
Eli seems to have turned a corner. He doesn't play with that "deer in the headlights" look since the last regular season game. I think if he hadn't started winning he would have gotten his just rewards for wanting to go to NY. They would have made his life miserable.
Right now I am a HUGE Giants' fan. I don't want Billy B. getting a fourth ring. Knoll is the only head coach to win four so far.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Was it John Elway who did the same thing to the Colts? I forgot all about that Eli wah wah-ing about the Chargers! Can you imagine how it must have been to have Archie Manning as your Dad???? Yow!!! Ok, now for sure ... GO PATS!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
It's easy to knock what he did now, but at the time San Diego was in disarray and the outlook looked bleak. Remember the whole Ryan Leaf fiasco. Plus factor in that his dad played for a poorly run organization (the Saints) and you can see why he did what he did.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
I don't have any problem with it at all.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:49 PM

68 posts, read 261,087 times
I don't have a problem with it all either.....his Dad did what any other well informed and experienced Dad would do in helping his son make a good business move!!! Are you kidding me???? Go Eli!!!! He's doing great....what the hell is wrong with you people?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Was Archie his agent?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Was it John Elway who did the same thing to the Colts? I forgot all about that Eli wah wah-ing about the Chargers! Can you imagine how it must have been to have Archie Manning as your Dad???? Yow!!! Ok, now for sure ... GO PATS!!!
He was drafted by the Colts (Elway) and oddly enough it was Accorsi (who also wanted Manning for the Giants) who wanted him in Denver and the deal was done.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwannabe2 View Post
Ever since Eli (or should I say Archie), Manning told the Chargers not to draft him because he wouldn't sign with them, I have lost all respect for the Eli and daddy.

Does this irritate anyone else?

The system is setup so the weakest teams get the better players. Manipulating the system like the Mannings did is just wrong. Dear old daddy Manning just wanted the NY spotlight and for the possibility of a Manning / Manning superbowl. Well, regardless of who Eli plays against, I WILL ALWAYS ROOT AGAINST HIM.

It's too bad Eli has this 3 game winning streak, otherwise he may have been looking for a job.

BTW, I think San Diego is pretty happy how it turned out : getting Merriman and Rivers.
The teams picked in the 04 draft. Manning was selected by the Chargers and Rivers by the Giants. The deal was struck after that pick by Ernie Accorsi. Manning went to the Giants and the Chargers got Rivers and 3 Giants picks in the 04 and 05 draft. Yes it is true that he (Archie) didn't want his kid to play for the Chargers. Do you honestly think that Eli would have refused to play for the Chargers if the deal wasn't struck. I'm sure his father would have advised against it. Nobody forced the Chargers to make the trade.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
I don't have a problem with it, Elway did the same thing. Except Elway threw a fit like a two year old and said that if the Colts drafted him, he'd go play baseball. My response would have been, good luck playing baseball you jerk!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football