Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
There is a certain trait of a football quarterback that few of them had that Stabler definitely had. And that is NOT having a fear of failure. Joe Namath is in that category and so is Brett Favre. If they threw a pick they pretty much shook it off. Hell, if they lost the game they shook it off. They just went to the next topic at hand.

I really believe that is one of the reasons why Al Davis had Stabler replacing Daryle Lamonica as the starting quarterback. But there were other reasons for the change. Lamonica had limited mobility, Kenny could scramble, boy could he scramble. Lamonica couldn't read defenses as well as Stabler. Lamonica could get shook up fairly easy after being continuously hit. Stabler was fearless. He'd get creamed in the backfield on a cornerback blitz but he would come right back and throw a touchdown pass on that same cornerback late in the 4th quarter and win the game for the Raiders.. Stabler was a true competitor. Lamonica had a stronger arm, his nickname was "The Mad Bomber." But in the long run it was easy to see why Stabler took over from Lamonica.
Do remember too that the Raiders lost 3 straight AFC title games before beating the Vikings in Super Bowl XI. So Stabler could have easily won more than one SB being that the AFC was clearly much stronger than the NFC at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 11:58 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
I have to believe that Fred Biletnikoff, HOF wide receiver, owes much of his career stats and success to Kenny Stabler!

Old 07-12-2015, 02:14 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Do remember too that the Raiders lost 3 straight AFC title games before beating the Vikings in Super Bowl XI. So Stabler could have easily won more than one SB being that the AFC was clearly much stronger than the NFC at that time.
Agreed. I remember well.

I remember the 1972 Steeler/Raider playoff game. The "Immaculate Reception." And I also remember how big of a grudge match it was for the whole game regarding both defenses. I remember Lamonica going something like 6 for 18 for only 60 some yards in the first half and Madden putting in Stabler in the second half to get some mobility in the picture. If Franco Harris didn't catch that ball at the very end a lot of people would have been talking about the 30 yard touchdown run Stabler had to put the Raiders on the board. The Steelers scores came by field goals until Harris scored at the very end.

I remember the 1968 AFL Championship game-Raiders versus Jets. On the last drive of the game the Raiders got a break on a Lomonica bomb as Jet db Jim Hudson got a late personal foul penalty on Warren Wells. The next play Lamonica threw a bad pass to Charlie Smith that actually was called a lateral. The winds at Shea Stadium at times were just brutal. I've seen tapes of that game and it showed Daryle actually throwing the ball ahead just a tad and a big gust of wind blew the ball sideways. It was ruled a lateral as Jet linebacker Ralph Baker wisely picked it up and started running with it.

I remember the 1969 AFL Championship game with the Chiefs. It was the first year that wildcards were introduced to the playoff format. Raiders finished 12-1-1 that season. They were at home. Back in those days the Raiders/Chiefs rivalry was just flat out nasty, during that late 60's stretch the Chiefs had lost 5 out of their last 6 games to Oakland. The Chiefs had beaten the Jets the previous week to advance. Stram must have come up with a bunch of new defensive formations (he was good at THAT) and the Raiders never threatened in the game, wound up losing 17-7.

Yeppirs, I remember those games. Damn, I remember being YOUNG!!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-12-2015 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: spelling correction, addition

Old 07-13-2015, 05:44 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
RIP Snake,
Aside from participating in and watching the Immaculate reception from the sidelines.

Ken Stabler was directly involved in 3 more famous plays in the NFL.
Sea of Hands
Holly Roller
Ghost to the Post

I missed the Sea of Hands play but was watching the other two on TV. Dave Casper was the obvious playmaker on Ghost the Post, what a catch! But that Holly Roller play, only the snake could have come up with something like that!

Old 07-14-2015, 03:02 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I have to believe that Fred Biletnikoff, HOF wide receiver, owes much of his career stats and success to Kenny Stabler!
Fred Biletnikoff spent most of his prime with Daryle Lamonica throwing him the ball, not Ken Stabler. By the time Stabler replaced Lamonica, Biletnikoff was near the end of his prime. Cliff Branch was Stabler's primary target.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,395,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
A truly great QB, he needs his Bust in the HOF
RIP Snake...put him in the HOF next year!
Attached Thumbnails
Kenny Stabler "The Snake"-Dead at 69-snake.bmp  

Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Wow...I had forgotten that Stabler wasnt in the Hall!

Old 07-17-2015, 07:15 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy53420 View Post
RIP Snake...put him in the HOF next year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Wow...I had forgotten that Stabler wasnt in the Hall!
Incredible, right?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
A good player to be sure, but I've never heard or seen anyone present a case as to why Stabler's merely above average career deserves a place in the HOF.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Roll Tide, Snake. You will be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football