Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:35 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,585,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
It was an awful play call, and I don't know if the coaches told him to throw it to the middle of the field, but I will say this: Lynch was wide open on the left side of the field, even though they obviously should have run it.
If he throws the ball lower, like to the receivers knees, it is probably either caught by the receiver or incomplete. The db made a great read and play on the ball but I doubt he would have been quick enough to make the read AND react to get low enough to get the ball of it were thrown where it should have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,996,527 times
Oh well I guess since you say so, it was all Wilson's fault and not Carroll's.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,078,043 times
As critical as I am of Wilson, that was not his fault. Why throw the ball from the 1 when you have a guy named "Beast Mode" on the backfield? Just a 3rd year QB, Wilson, in that situation (4th qtr of the Superbowl) probably didn't feel confident enough to audible out of the horrible call that came in.

That epic meltdown was entirely on the coaching staff.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
If by "historic," you mean middle-of-the-pack, no QB stats in the top 10? Then yes, Wilson was historic LOL

As I've said before, during that 2013 superbowl season, Russell Wilson literally had the best defense in the last 30 years. 16 out of the 31 other QBs in the league could've played on that Seattle team and won a superbowl. it wasn't as if Wilson some some kind of x-factor that was putting up monster passing numbers.

Here's where Russell Wilson ranked during the 2013 Superbowl year:

Passing Yards: 16th
Completion %: 12th
Pass Attempts: 22nd
Touchdowns: 10th (i guess he was top 10 in something lol)
Sacked: 44 (4th worst)

Pretty average. Did Wilson play well for a rookie? Yes. Was he the reason they won the superbowl? Not even close

When your defense only gives up a historic 15 PPG, having to score 16 points in ain't that difficult. Especially when your average starting field position is close to the 40 because your #1 historic defense creates so many "3 and outs" and has opposing teams punting from inside their own 20 so often.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 AM

Best defense in last 30 years is a bit of a stretch.

Wilson still made some great plays in that SB, even if he didn't need to.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,178,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
If by "historic," you mean middle-of-the-pack, no QB stats in the top 10? Then yes, Wilson was historic LOL

As I've said before, during that 2013 superbowl season, Russell Wilson literally had the best defense in the last 30 years. 16 out of the 31 other QBs in the league could've played on that Seattle team and won a superbowl. it wasn't as if Wilson some some kind of x-factor that was putting up monster passing numbers.

Here's where Russell Wilson ranked during the 2013 Superbowl year:

Passing Yards: 16th
Completion %: 12th
Pass Attempts: 22nd
Touchdowns: 10th (i guess he was top 10 in something lol)
Sacked: 44 (4th worst)

Pretty average. Did Wilson play well for a rookie? Yes. Was he the reason they won the superbowl? Not even close

When your defense only gives up a historic 15 PPG, having to score 16 points in ain't that difficult. Especially when your average starting field position is close to the 40 because your #1 historic defense creates so many "3 and outs" and has opposing teams punting from inside their own 20 so often.
Are Russell Wilson's first three years the best in NFL history?

When considering the totality of Russell Wilson's accomplishments, they truly are amazing. True, there are some QB's with more yards, or more TD's, etc., but Wilson is ranked in the top 5 or top 10 of a wide variety of stats over his first three years. One could easily say that overall, Wilson has had the best first three years of any QB in NFL history. Here are a few of his accomplishments:

- Wilson is the first QB in NFL history with a passer rating of over 95.0 in each of his first three seasons.

- Wilson has 24 games with a passer rating of 100+ in his first three seasons...more than any other QB in NFL history. Flacco, Marino, and Palmer are tied for second with 19.

- Wilson leads all QB’s in the NFL over the last 3 years with 10- 4th quarter comebacks and 15- game-winning drives. No other QB in NFL history has ever done this in their first 3 years.

- He is one of only five players with at least 20 touchdown passes in each of first three seasons.

- Wilson is the first and only QB in the Super Bowl era to have average yards per attempt of 7.6 or better in each of his first three seasons.

- Wilson’s career yards per passing attempt of 7.9 is fourth-best of all QB’s since 1951.

- Wilson is ranked #1 in career postseason yards per attempt. His career average of 9.01 (min. 200 pass attempts) is the highest in NFL history.

- Wilson is the only QB in NFL history to appear in two SB's in his first three seasons.

- Wilson holds the record for most passing yards in a playoff game by a rookie QB with 385 yards. The old record was set in 1937 by Sammy Baugh with 335 yards...that record stood for 75 years.

- Wilson is ranked at #2 in all-time career passer rating (min. 1200 attempts) with a 98.6. Only Aaron Rodgers has a higher career passer rating.

- Wilson's passer rating of 98.6 for a player’s first 3 years is the best in NFL history.

- Including postseason, Wilson's passer rating of 98.5 for a player's first three years is the best in NFL history.

- Wilson's postseason passer rating of 97.8 in his first three years is the best in NFL history.

- Wilson’s career postseason passer rating of 97.8 (min. 200 attempts) is the 5th best in NFL history.

- Wilson's TD% of 5.8% in his first three years is the 2nd highest in NFL history; only Dan Marino is higher with 6.9%.

- Wilson's INT% of 2.1% in his first three years is the lowest of any QB in NFL history.

- Wilson is ranked #2 all-time with a career TD to INT ratio of 2.77 (min. 1200 attempts) behind only Rodgers.

- Wilson is ranked #3 all-time with a career INT rate of only 2.1%, behind only Rodgers and Brady.

- Wilson is the first and only QB in NFL history to throw for 300+ yards and run for 100+ yards (313 & 106) in the same game...against the Rams on 10-19-14.

- Only one QB in NFL history had more than one season with more than 20 TD passes and 10 or fewer interceptions in his first three seasons: Wilson, who has had three such seasons.

- His 72 touchdowns are the seventh-most ever through a player’s first three seasons.

- Including the postseason, Wilson has 84 passing TD's in his first three seasons, 4th-most in NFL history.

Yes... Historic. He's setting records

Old 08-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Quite a few good points, Bradd. I read them all and acknowledge them.

At the end of the day, I guess I'm still just baffled that he has become the second highest paid QB in the league, when his QB stats aren't in the top 10.

And when I say "stats," I mean the big time stats, the Hollywood stuff. total passing yards, pass attempts, completion percentage....not those obscure, off the beaten path stats, like "only the 3rd qb in nfl history to score 3 or more touchdowns when his team plays on an odd numbered day of the month in November."

If you look at the "big time" stats, Wilson is nowhere to be found. Hey man, he's a good QB, probably around 10th or so in the league overall. But how is he the 2nd highest paid?

Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,440,513 times
Quote:

At the end of the day, I guess I'm still just baffled that he has become the second highest paid QB in the league, when his QB stats aren't in the top 10.

And when I say "stats," I mean the big time stats, the Hollywood stuff. total passing yards, pass attempts, completion percentage....not those obscure, off the beaten path stats, like "only the 3rd qb in nfl history to score 3 or more touchdowns when his team plays on an odd numbered day of the month in November."

If you look at the "big time" stats, Wilson is nowhere to be found. Hey man, he's a good QB, probably around 10th or so in the league overall. But how is he the 2nd highest paid?
Up above you also left out his rushing stats. Another stat that probably helped make him the 2nd highest paid that was left out...2 Super Bowls in 3 years. Guys that can do that get paid, as they should.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 PM

217 posts, read 206,977 times
Quote:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Wilson. He's a very good QB, but nowhere near the 2nd best in the league.

Also, the problem I have with a lot of those stats that you brought up end with "in his first three seasons in the league." QB's like Rodgers, Brady, Philip Rivers and Kurt Warner (that's just off the top of my head, there's probably more) had to sit out their first year or two because they were back-ups so those stats don't tell the whole story.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:27 PM

You guys are making such a big deal about him being the 2nd highest paid. It's because the contract is brand new. Flacco was the highest paid after the SB (I think), but it didn't take long for Rodgers to sign a bigger contract (and whoever else since then).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football