Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:37 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If St. Louis is able to move forward with the proposal for a stadium on the river front, the Raiders may consider a move there instead of San Antonio. As a city St. Louis may not be a better destination than San Antonio (this point can be debated either way), but a brand new stadium may be enough to push it over the top. I think St. Louis' proposal is viable, and even though the Alamodome is already built, so too is the current stadium in St. Louis. And the promise of a new stadium with all the bells and whistles may be too much for San Antonio to overcome. But San Antonio is a growing city and as a few have noted in a football crazy state and near to other large cities. Texas population is growing too, and that equates to potential market share. Plus the Alamodome, itself old by NFL stadiums standards, would likely be replaced as a stipulation for location in San Antonio. San Antonio isn't an obvious option over St. Louis at this time. I think it may be for a more forward thinking owner, though.
The only problem with this belief is that Mark Davis has been quoted as saying that he has no interest in moving the Raiders to St. Louis at all. New stadium or no new stadium. He's just not interested. And as St. Louis is indeed preparing to build a new stadium up there it is not a done deal yet. And yes, I agree with the fact that San Antonio would likely have to include a new Dome deal in order to finally convince Davis to move his team to Texas. This new Dome would be approved and fully funded very rapidly down here if it meant an NFL would come to San Antonio. Ultimately we'll have to see what happens in this drama as Fall approaches.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,992,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The only problem with this belief is that Mark Davis has been quoted as saying that he has no interest in moving the Raiders to St. Louis at all. New stadium or no new stadium. He's just not interested. And as St. Louis is indeed preparing to build a new stadium up there it is not a done deal yet. And yes, I agree with the fact that San Antonio would likely have to include a new Dome deal in order to finally convince Davis to move his team to Texas. This new Dome would be approved and fully funded very rapidly down here if it meant an NFL would come to San Antonio. Ultimately we'll have to see what happens in this drama as Fall approaches.
Money (a new stadium IS money) talks louder than Mark Davis. If that proposal were offered and locked in, Mark Davis would pull a Baltimore Colts faster than, well, the Baltimore Colts.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:42 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,507,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I disagree. San Antonio and the Alamodome would be a fine alternative to the cesspool the Raiders play in now. The Raiders were the lowest earning team in the league last season. They would be a major cash cow for Davis if they played in Texas. There is no viable plan for a new stadium in Oakland coming anytime soon and only a deluded moron like Mark Davis would view not coming to Texas as a good idea.
There is more money for them move back to LA (the 2nd largest market) then to move them to the 37th largest market. LA is big enough to have two NFL teams and it's been on the West Coast since its inception. They aren't leaving California. San Antonio is only there for leverage and that's why SA officials complained about it.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:49 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is more money for them move back to LA (the 2nd largest market) then to move them to the 37th largest market. LA is big enough to have two NFL teams and it's been on the West Coast since its inception. They aren't leaving California. San Antonio is only there for leverage and that's why SA officials complained about it.
The Los Angeles area is nothing more than an amalgamation of many different communities that are simply within very close proximity to one another. Making up a very large community. Yes, LA is definitely a mega market, but when the same criteria of size is applied to the San Antonio metro area it balloons into a 4+ million person large NFL sized market. This mega region includes Austin of course and all of the adjacent communities along the I35 Corridor.

This region, which all NFL teams have is certainly large enough to support an NFL football team. Without question. You cannot just take the city of San Antonio which is the 37th largest TV market in the country and say that is all there is to the area. One must consider the entire metropolitan region before making a judgement on metro area size. Most people neglect to do this when they talk about SA being a viable NFL market.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:41 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,613,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I think you have that backwards: It is Rams in Inglewood and Raiders/Chargers in Carson.
That is what I was going to say.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:43 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,613,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Nothing is as bad as the Los Angeles Lakers.
Oh yea, how about the Utah Jazz??? I never think of Utah as the jazz mecca of the world.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Oh yea, how about the Utah Jazz??? I never think of Utah as the jazz mecca of the world.
I agree.

New Orleans needs to get their Jazz name back. It would go better with the Saints name!

Old 09-09-2015, 02:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,325,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
they'll probably relocate to St Louis after the Rams leave for LA
LA is looking for 2 teams. Many seem to think that the three top choices are the Rams, Raiders, or Chargers.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,325,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I agree.

New Orleans needs to get their Jazz name back. It would go better with the Saints name!
Maybe a change is in order. New Orleans is the home of Jazz and Salt Lake is the home of the Saints as in Latter Day Saints. LOL

Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Maybe a change is in order. New Orleans is the home of Jazz and Salt Lake is the home of the Saints as in Latter Day Saints. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.