Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:01 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times

Advertisements

It is the superior game, no doubt about it. But Americans are never gonna admit that are they! Gridiron is their sport. But it is a shame they don't acknowledge it in terms of knowledge, interest or watching it. It is a game made for Americans they would love it if they gave it a chance. I mean - no pads, and no adverts! C'mon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 03:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It is the superior game, no doubt about it. But Americans are never gonna admit that are they! Gridiron is their sport. But it is a shame they don't acknowledge it in terms of knowledge, interest or watching it. It is a game made for Americans they would love it if they gave it a chance. I mean - no pads, and no adverts! C'mon!
sorry but rugby is not a superior game, just different. turn ndamukong suh loose in a rugby game, and you can bet that there would be a number of rugby players leaving on a stretcher. suh is big, strong, and a lot quicker than people give him credit for, and if he is playing his teams rivals, he will beat up on them as close to legally as possible.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:15 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
This is what I don't understand, not at all. We don't have to admit anything. I don't think NFL fans post on about NFL being superior to other sports. I've watched soccer, more than enough, having worked for a foreign company where soccer was played at picnics, not baseball. I haven't watched as much rugby, but I have and prefer NFL football. People living elsewhere prefer other sports but I don't try to say NFL is superior and they should give it a chance. Why would I?

Old 08-21-2015, 05:16 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
While I agree there are too many commercial breaks during football games, the fact that Rugby, like soccer, puts big ads on the front of their jerseys...........not to mention you have LED billboards in plain sight during the games also diminishes your claim.

Heck look at the video the OP posted - you see overlaid ads right on the field.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:43 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
OK but American Football takes it to another level.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 AM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

I gave serious thought of shutting this thread down when I saw it come up on the board but I'll keep this thread up for an extra day or so.
I'll give this thread till late tonight for extra comments, I'll weigh in for a couple comments myself. Then I'll close it. If the insults start flying, It closes earlier.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:34 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I've been to Rugby League and Rugby Union games... have watched NFL games, all three are boring to me.
The sport with the most continuous play, and true team sport, in my opinion, is Australian Rules Football. Where each player at times, has to both be able to defend, or attack, must be able to run 15-20km in a game, and can potentially be hit from any angle, from any player, who could be any size... I think the tallest player in the league is 6'11", and one of the shortest 5'8"... (all of which are tall to me )
I went to a Rugby match in New Zealand and enjoyed it, its fast moving and exciting, but the rules are totally confusing. I have a friend now (many years later) that is a New Zealander and he played Rugby when he was younger and has tried to explain some of the strange rules. The I have basics now but still don't get it entirely.

I also have watch a lot of Australian Rules Football and while the game is fast and has contact, it doesn't have the level of contact that either US Football or Rugby has.

My least favorite sport has to be Cricket...I went with a friend in New Zealand to a game and was almost in tears by the time it was over...and that was only the first day of the test. Needless to say I didn't go back for that second day.

Now I am a die hard Seattle Seahawk football fan and have been for 40 years....hardly boring.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:39 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sorry but rugby is not a superior game, just different. turn ndamukong suh loose in a rugby game, and you can bet that there would be a number of rugby players leaving on a stretcher. suh is big, strong, and a lot quicker than people give him credit for, and if he is playing his teams rivals, he will beat up on them as close to legally as possible.
I believe some of the Fiji Rugby players could match up in size with any NFL players.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I believe some of the Fiji Rugby players could match up in size with any NFL players.
very possible, since a lot of them come to the US and play college and pro football.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
^^ there are some cross code players. Jarryd Hayne on the 49'ers list, from rugby.
An American debuted last night in Aussie Rules too. He did ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I went to a Rugby match in New Zealand and enjoyed it, its fast moving and exciting, but the rules are totally confusing. I have a friend now (many years later) that is a New Zealander and he played Rugby when he was younger and has tried to explain some of the strange rules. The I have basics now but still don't get it entirely.

I also have watch a lot of Australian Rules Football and while the game is fast and has contact, it doesn't have the level of contact that either US Football or Rugby has.

My least favorite sport has to be Cricket...I went with a friend in New Zealand to a game and was almost in tears by the time it was over...and that was only the first day of the test. Needless to say I didn't go back for that second day.

Now I am a die hard Seattle Seahawk football fan and have been for 40 years....hardly boring.
do you know if you watched league or union? Or both?

Totally agree there is less constant contact in Aussie rules, but there's still a lot of contact (although I do prefer the way the game was in the 90s, which is different from today)

Well, you watched NZ play cricket, no wonder you were bored

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a live nfl game, just the stop/start I find very annoying, when I'm use to 30 minute quarters of continous play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football