Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the league change the overtime rules?
Yes, they should change it. 8 34.78%
No, keep it as it is 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:40 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I never understood why they changed the rule. Instead of crying that "we never got the ball" here's an idea: Stop them. Last time I checked defense and special teams were part of football too. But with that said now that it's this way I'm fine with it too.
I was fine with the old rule but I understand the impetus behind the change. In today's game where the rules and game-play favor offense, and in which kickers routinely nail 50+ yard field goal attempts, the chance of the coin toss lends more favor to the team that wins that toss than it did 40, 30, even 20 years ago.

I'm also fine with a tie after a full overtime fails to yield a winner. What's the big deal? It's half a win and have a loss in the standings. It's better than a loss but not as good as a win. So? At least it's football, whereas the silliness in which college football wallows in OT isn't. It's like the shootout or 3-on-3 in hockey to determine a winner. It's a gimmick, like a home-run derby or a 3-point contest to end a baseball or basketball deadlock.

Let them play one game, then one extra period. If it's still tied, it's a tie. It happens, on average, once/season. Or, 1 in every 256 games. Big flippin' deal.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:02 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
I know some people want both teams to have the ball like in college. In college both teams get the ball.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:48 PM

And in all fairness, wouldn't you prefer the NFL's overtime rules to be the same as college? Personally I'm fine with the current rules where the first touchdown or safety wins the game but not the case in college. Both teams get to have the ball and if the thefirst teams scores and the other team fails to score the game is over. That's how college overtime works.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:37 PM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
And in all fairness, wouldn't you prefer the NFL's overtime rules to be the same as college? Personally I'm fine with the current rules where the first touchdown or safety wins the game but not the case in college. Both teams get to have the ball and if the thefirst teams scores and the other team fails to score the game is over. That's how college overtime works.
I like the college OT rules.. I know alot of people don't, but.. I love it. The only thing I'd change is maybe the ball is spotted at the 50 vs the 25 yard line. That means, with no yardage gained, it's almost an impossibility to get points.. Whereas starting from the 25 is ALMOST a guaranteed 3 points.

I also like the idea of forcing the team to go for 2 after the first 2 possessions.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:33 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Here is my idea. Both teams get the ball.. period. if one scores and the other does NOT game over.. if both score.. then you can elminate a tie buy doing this:

Say the team that gets the ball first goes down and scores in 5 minutes exactly. The other team then gets the ball and 5 minutes are put on the clock. They then have 5 minutes to score ... otherwise game over.. if said team scores in 4 min.. they win if not, they lose.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:34 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
Just go back to a coin flip and first who scores wins. Nothing complex about it. If your defense cant stop them, then you didn't deserve to win anyway. It's all over-involved and silly now as are most of the convoluted solutions. They also lengthen a game that's too long now.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:09 PM

Bringing this thread up to date. While I do like college overtime rules, but I am currently fine with the current rules. Though there are people that do prefer college overtime rules.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:36 PM

465 posts, read 303,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I know some people want both teams to have the ball like in college. In college both teams get the ball.
This could wildly impact fantasy football if I have a QB and RB in a college-type of OT game vs the other team with nothing.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:41 PM

465 posts, read 303,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Here is my idea. Both teams get the ball.. period. if one scores and the other does NOT game over.. if both score.. then you can elminate a tie buy doing this:

Say the team that gets the ball first goes down and scores in 5 minutes exactly. The other team then gets the ball and 5 minutes are put on the clock. They then have 5 minutes to score ... otherwise game over.. if said team scores in 4 min.. they win if not, they lose.
I like this idea. It might be a good strategy to defer knowing your team still has an opportunity to get the ball back and knowing how much time you need.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:45 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
At the end of overtime if the game is still tied-----as in college, give each team one possesion at the 25 yard line and if they score have them go for two----if the game is still tied that is it----tie game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football