Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:39 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Jimmy will be traded before Brady is gone. There is nothing to lead me believe Brady doesn't have a couple of years left in him, and Jimmy won't sit around waiting when he could cash in.
I don't see Bill Bellichick jettison Brady in favor of Jimmy Garoppolo unless Bill Bellichick is willing to coach the Patriots for another 5 to 10 years. I somehow feel BB retires in another year or so. He's 64 years old. He's won 4 Super Bowls with the Patriots, and I think a couple as a coordinator with the Giants. What does he have left to prove? That he can win one without Tom Brady? Maybe! But, I seriously think at 64, with the list of accomplishments BB has had during his coaching tenure, he's more than OK with riding out into the sunset when Tom Brady decides it's over. And I think if Tom Brady is truly Superman and can play at a high level for another 3-4 seasons, then you'll see Bellichick stick around, but I believe both go at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:10 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Jimmy will be traded before Brady is gone. There is nothing to lead me believe Brady doesn't have a couple of years left in him, and Jimmy won't sit around waiting when he could cash in.
That could go another way, seems the Pats have treated Brady quite well to keep him around, I'd think Garoppolo might take that into consideration and be patient, the Pats are a lot more solid operation than many other teams and that's coming from someone who's been a Jets fan since they were the Titans.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't see Bill Bellichick jettison Brady in favor of Jimmy Garoppolo unless Bill Bellichick is willing to coach the Patriots for another 5 to 10 years. I somehow feel BB retires in another year or so. He's 64 years old. He's won 4 Super Bowls with the Patriots, and I think a couple as a coordinator with the Giants. What does he have left to prove? That he can win one without Tom Brady? Maybe! But, I seriously think at 64, with the list of accomplishments BB has had during his coaching tenure, he's more than OK with riding out into the sunset when Tom Brady decides it's over. And I think if Tom Brady is truly Superman and can play at a high level for another 3-4 seasons, then you'll see Bellichick stick around, but I believe both go at the same time.
Bill has won 6 Super Bowl titles - 2 as the defensive coordinator of the Giants and 4 as the head coach of the Patriots. He has nothing left to prove - he's easily one of the greatest coaches in NFL history and the best of his generation without a doubt.

Brady is not going anywhere. He's retiring as a Patriot. Jimmy is signed through the 2017 season so he's not going anywhere at the end of this season unless the Patriots trade him somewhere. If the Patriots win the Super Bowl, I'd like to see Tom retire on top and have Jimmy be the future.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:46 PM

65 posts, read 70,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
As we all know the Patriots QB Tom Brady has been forced to sit out the first 4 games for the suspicion of his involvement in deflated footballs. A rather harsh sentence in my opinion but that opened up a huge chance for the backup QB.

Jimmy Garoppolo looked good last night against the Cardinals and the team squeaked one out in a nail biter for the win.

The big question is if Jimmy G goes on to improve and win games what is going to happen to Brady?
When game 5 starts there is no doubt that Brady will be the starter but what happens if he comes back and doesn't play as well as JimmyG ?

This could be the beginning of the end for Brady.
I do agree that Jimmy G played a phenomenal especially against that Arizona defense. With that being said, I don't think Jimmy G will continue being our starter once Tom Brady returns from that suspension. If anything, this can be used as a stepping stone in the near future for Jimmy G where he'll be our QB... However, if he continues to play brilliantly these next 3 games, don't be surprised if they use him as a trade chip for draft pick next off season.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 PM

62 posts, read 36,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacui View Post
I do agree that Jimmy G played a phenomenal especially against that Arizona defense. With that being said, I don't think Jimmy G will continue being our starter once Tom Brady returns from that suspension. If anything, this can be used as a stepping stone in the near future for Jimmy G where he'll be our QB... However, if he continues to play brilliantly these next 3 games, don't be surprised if they use him as a trade chip for draft pick next off season.
You don't think? I don't care if the Pats are 4-0 and Garrapolo is in the top 10 in QBR....Week 5 vs Cleveland, #12 is under center, not #10....seriously, the fan with the 10 minute memory needs to go find another sport....This is Tom Brady, not Sam Bradford....Brady starts, it's a no brainer

Old 09-12-2016, 01:06 PM

65 posts, read 70,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Seas View Post
You don't think? I don't care if the Pats are 4-0 and Garrapolo is in the top 10 in QBR....Week 5 vs Cleveland, #12 is under center, not #10....seriously, the fan with the 10 minute memory needs to go find another sport....This is Tom Brady, not Sam Bradford....Brady starts, it's a no brainer
What are you talking about? I just said Brady will be the starter once his suspension ends....

Old 09-12-2016, 01:44 PM

62 posts, read 36,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacui View Post
What are you talking about? I just said Brady will be the starter once his suspension ends....
I was re emphasizing this is a no brainer....you said "I don't think...." And I was just piggybacking that even if Jimmy G is 4-0 and plays GREAT....there is not even a shadow of a doubt that #12 starts week 5

Old 09-12-2016, 02:24 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Maybe not quite the no-brainer that you think.

Brady got his start by replacing a hurt Drew Bledsoe who had just signed a contract extension. At the time, Brady was little more than a 6th round draft pick who had attempted only 3 passes the year before, but he stayed the starter after Bledsoe was cleared to play. Besides, Bellichik has a history of making tough personnel decisions.

The threat of Garappolo leaving is real. He is a free agent after 2017, and he WILL get paid. Brock Osweiller got 4 years and $72 million for winning a few games in Denver. With the salary cap, the Pats cannot afford two monster contracts, and Garoppolo would be stupid to walk from that kind of money, even for a year.

Brady could get Manning-ed. The Pats let him go, take the fan fallout, but start a young QB because of Brady's age.

As for Belichik being the greatest ever, time will tell. If he is smart he will leave when Brady does. Having a top quarterback makes you look like a genius. Mike Shanahan was "the mastermind" before suddenly he developing a case of stupidity. The turning point was Elway's retirement. When Brady retires, how the Pats play will let you know what kind of coach Bellichik is.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:13 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
I'm in the "I'd never put it past Belicheck" camp.

I think Brady starts and finishes once he comes back though. The 2017 off-season could be a wild one though for the Patriots. I do think they value having him as a back up. But unless 2017 is Brady's last season, they are likely to deal Garapollo before the 2017 Draft.

BUT, that I think is when the Patriots could seriously start thinking about dealing Brady instead. So, could this be Brady's last season as a Patriot?

And as other's have mentioned, what is Belicheck's long term plan? Is he going to stick around? If not, would he then not care if the Pats are left with nobody at QB when Brady retires? In that case, then maybe it comes down to Kraft calling the shot in effort to make sure the team is still competitive when both coach and QB are gone.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Maybe not quite the no-brainer that you think.

Brady got his start by replacing a hurt Drew Bledsoe who had just signed a contract extension. At the time, Brady was little more than a 6th round draft pick who had attempted only 3 passes the year before, but he stayed the starter after Bledsoe was cleared to play. Besides, Bellichik has a history of making tough personnel decisions.

The threat of Garappolo leaving is real. He is a free agent after 2017, and he WILL get paid. Brock Osweiller got 4 years and $72 million for winning a few games in Denver. With the salary cap, the Pats cannot afford two monster contracts, and Garoppolo would be stupid to walk from that kind of money, even for a year.

Brady could get Manning-ed. The Pats let him go, take the fan fallout, but start a young QB because of Brady's age.

As for Belichik being the greatest ever, time will tell. If he is smart he will leave when Brady does. Having a top quarterback makes you look like a genius. Mike Shanahan was "the mastermind" before suddenly he developing a case of stupidity. The turning point was Elway's retirement. When Brady retires, how the Pats play will let you know what kind of coach Bellichik is.
1. The Brady Bledsoe comparison is weak....Bledsoe peaked from 94-97, his last 3 years before he was replaced by Brady was a steady downwards spiral with a QB rating that while never great had fallen from the mid 80's to mid 70's and a 3 year total of TD's barely more than INT's....not to mention that team was in the toilet at that time and Bledsoe was underperforming....oh he also NEVER WON ANYTHING.

Brady has 4 rings, is only 2 years removed from his last SB victory and despite a porous O Line and the worst beatdown of his career was a missed extra point away from making last years SB.

2. Garoppolo leaving isn't a threat, its a near certainty. Barring a major injury to Tom Brady or a Peytonesque fall off the cliff in ability, Garoppolo will be traded or leave as a free agent after next season.

3. The Manning comparison is weak, as would be a Montana-Young comparison. Jimmy looked good last night but lets not pretend it is even remotely likely he will be the next Steve Young or Andrew Luck. In both Mannings and Montana's cases it was a combination of accumulation of injuries along with potential HOFer back ups in place that lead to a legend leaving....Brady has no injury issues and again Jimmy isn't Young/Luck

4. Shanahan isn't even Belichick's league when it comes to coaching. BB has proven himself with the Giants and honestly his time with the Brown's has been overblown in terms of his supposed ineffectiveness....he was dealing with crappy front office situation and a team on the move....heck he got the Browns to the playoffs in his last full season with the team....the only other time they made the playoffs in the last 20 years was 2002.
Just getting the Browns to the playoffs should be statue worthy never mind all the Superbowls...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football