Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 02:17 PM

5,794 posts, read 5,574,247 times

Advertisements

A couple anecdotes from the first quarter of the season as it wraps up. I think after 4 weeks, we have a realistic handle on team's identity. I'll add more thoughts as the week wraps up:

NFC

-it's time to officially announced that Russell Wilson is one of the elite quarterbacks in the game. And by elite, yes, I mean Top 5. The way he came on after Week 6-7 last year, and the way he leads his team and his play this year, is all the confirmation we need. This man turned a corner last year and is a baller...
-that Seahawks defense is still in the Top 3-4 units in the league. If that offense continues to develop in its consistency, this is a very, very dangerous team. I'm not ready to pull them as my NFC favorites just yet, but, boy, this is a potentially explosive football team...
-the Carolina Panthers are in trouble. Not only have they failed to build an adequate line for Newton, but Newton himself appears to have regressed (holding the ball, horrible reads, etc). That secondary was a liability last year that was masked, but clearly it's the weakest link on a defense that isn't dominant anymore...
-I'm definitely not buying stock in Atlanta yet, but congratulations to Dan Quinn. He's turning that team around, and through four weeks, they are clearly the best team in a not so good division. And Julio Jones...
-every time I believe in the Detroit Lions, they let me down...
-the Green Bay Packers will certainly perform better down the stretch, but that is not a dominant football team. Remember I told you guys this on 10/2/16...
-Anybody who claims to know who will win the NFC East is lying to you. There may be a 3-way tie for first at the end of the year with the 4th place team only a game behind. Most wide open division in the NFL...

AFC
-the Patriots will be fine. I still don't believe they are the unanimous favorites every analyst says they are, but they'd have to fall off a a cliff to not win that division...
-my God, I hope Irsay fires Pagano after this season, and then fires himself. The Colts are a dumpster fire waiting to happen...
-will the Jaguars ever put that group of young talent together? They have to get a veteran head coach...
-Derek Carr is everything he was advertised and expected to be. In another year or two, this may be his league. And gotdamn, has Michael Crabtree grown up. We all knew he had elite talent, but going to Oakland has brought something out in him. He is a Top 10 receiver, right NOW, in a league loaded with elite receivers. He's special...
-The Denver Broncos are much better than I expected them to be, and they are, for the moment, my favorite to win it all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 03:25 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
My big surprise this year is Trevor Siemian. I thought he would be fine with Denver's D and CJ Anderson but he has exceeded expectations and I think he will be the man in Denver for a sweet while.

As a Panthers fan, I very much feared that we would have a Super Bowl hangover and we overreacted to last year by giving Michael Oher and Kurt Coleman extensions and my fears have come true.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:32 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,594,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My big surprise this year is Trevor Siemian. I thought he would be fine with Denver's D and CJ Anderson but he has exceeded expectations and I think he will be the man in Denver for a sweet while.

As a Panthers fan, I very much feared that we would have a Super Bowl hangover and we overreacted to last year by giving Michael Oher and Kurt Coleman extensions and my fears have come true.
Part of the problem is it has been a murders row of opponents. Sure, if you are a good team, you need to come up with at least one win against three tough opponents, but Denver and Minnesota are two of the best in the league at moment. And now, it certainly looks like Atlanta may be in that conversation too based solely on their offense. I was down on Matt Ryan the last couple years. He might be the first quarter MVP so far.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Another shock, Cardinals at 1-3 and Rams at 3-1. I thought the inverse would happen.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Another shock, Cardinals at 1-3 and Rams at 3-1. I thought the inverse would happen.
That Rams defense is one of the best in the league. That said, I'm not buying their stock just yet. They have a winnable schedule to get to 9-10 wins. They have a 3-week stretch in December (@Pat's, vs Falcons, @Seahawks) that will be the most significant stretch of their season. How they perform then will tell what kind of team we're looking at. That offense has yet to take off against a sold defense...

I will say, if they come out of that aforementioned 3-game stretch at 2-1 or 3-0, I'll be a believer then. Until then, I can't believe they are a real contender, but I will concede that they are certainly improving...

Conversely, the Cardinals are in trouble. Carson Palmer has regressed and that defense certainly isn't performing to standard. They played pretty well against LA, but the week before they let the Bills offense blast em back to Arizona...

Based off of what I've seen so far, this team isn't winning more than 8 games. Just to do that, they have to go 7-5 the rest of the run, and look at their schedule:

@Niners, vs Jets, vs Seahawks, @Panthers, vs Niners, @Vikings, @Falcons, vs Redskins, @Dolphins, vs Saints, @Seahawks, @Rams...

There is more than 5 losable games in there. I said the Rams can possibly hit 10 wins; for Arizona just to get to 10 they have to go 9-3, and can anybody realistically see this team running off 9 of the above schedule, based on the performance we've seen so far?

The Cardinals are horribly out of sync and they are in some trouble. Next year may be time to find a new quarterback...

Old 10-03-2016, 06:26 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,594,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The Cardinals are horribly out of sync and they are in some trouble. Next year may be time to find a new quarterback...
They'll go after Romo. Seems to be the Cardinal way to bring in ageing QBs. They need immediate satisfaction.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
They'll go after Romo. Seems to be the Cardinal way to bring in ageing QBs. They need immediate satisfaction.
Repped! Lol @ "The Cardinal Way"...

Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
that assumes the cowboys will let romo go, or let him go cheap enough that the cardinals can afford him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football