Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:06 AM

5,932 posts, read 5,738,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Murk, very good post. It's a sidebar from the subject of the original post, but good points. Northeastern Carolina still gets media from Hampton Roads, VA (Norfolk, etc).. which is Redskins' media market.. so there are still people coming up on Skins' coverage. And like u stated, they have dads & grand-dads who are lifelong Redskin fans. Redskins have a lot of reach into MD, VA, NC.

To your point about Washington being a long-time, sole representative of the NFL in the SouthEast, (pre-Panthers, Falcons, etc).. I heard that Redskins' fight song lyric, 'Fight for old DC.', once went 'Fight for old Dixie'.. but I've never heard that confirmed. Anyone know if that was the original lyric (?)
Thanks, Babe! And the "old Dixie" lyric would be fitting, given that George Preston Marshall was from the South, and had a reputation as a bigot!

Old 12-01-2016, 07:10 AM

158 posts, read 74,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
So you think Eli or Cousins, behind that Dallas o-line and with Elliot....that they wouldn't be as successful as Dak? I don't get the logic. Cousins and Eli would both have to scale back their production to be on Dak's level, becaue they both are asked to throw it a lot more. Dak doesn't throw very much, because his offensive coordinator doens't ask him to.

I get that some people find the term "game manager" as a negative. So without calling him a game manager, my point still stands that, when comparing the workloads of Cousins and Eli to Dak, they're WAY above what Dak is doing.

Look at your original scenario, you subtly changed the wording around....This latest post is "would they be as successful"....who knows, are you talking for a season? multiple seasons? No one knows

Your original post was "would they be 10-1"....I don't think they would....Cousins had some lousy games in the early part of the season. I would argue he made the pivotal mistake in the first meeting with the Cowboys with the Int in the endzone to Church....Eli, same way, he has had some bad games....Dak hasn't really had a "bad game"....Now before you start taking my post out of context, I am in no way saying Dak is a better or worse QB than any other QB....I am not the "in the moment, now" type fan....its 11 games, he is a rookie. I am enjoying his early success. 11 games does not make him "elite" in my mind....Play like this for 3,4,5 yrs, then you can be called "ELITE" or "Top 10", not after 11 games. Similar to how I feel about Cousins....3,4,5 yrs playing consistently like he has played over the last 7 or 8 games, THEN you can be in convo as an elite QB

Do I think Dallas would have a winning record if Cousins/Eli/Wentz was QBing them....yes....do I think they are 10-1, NO (my opinion)....I will give you something else to chew on....Since we are playing hypothetical....Take Dak out of the equation and Romo is healthy....out of Romo, Cousins, Eli, Wentz, Romo is not only the better QB, he would have a better record with the Cowboys than the other 3....Let the flogging start now....

Old 12-01-2016, 07:21 AM

1,281 posts, read 782,373 times
Quote:
So you think Eli or Cousins, behind that Dallas o-line and with Elliot....that they wouldn't be as successful as Dak? I don't get the logic. Cousins and Eli would both have to scale back their production to be on Dak's level, becaue they both are asked to throw it a lot more. Dak doesn't throw very much, because his offensive coordinator doens't ask him to.

I get that some people find the term "game manager" as a negative. So without calling him a game manager, my point still stands that, when comparing the workloads of Cousins and Eli to Dak, they're WAY above what Dak is doing.
No because Eli Manning is not mobile and was never able to buy time.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:29 AM

6,806 posts, read 5,696,249 times
This debate really falls into they 'my girlfriend is prettier than yours!' which is the old adage, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The best question would be; (hypothetically)
if you could trade your current QB (Eli, Cousins, Wentz) to Dallas for DAK straight up, would you.

I think the only takers would be the Giants, and not because Eli is not as good as DAK but because most would agree that Eli is on the backside of his career and Dak has (fingers crossed) many years ahead of him.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:32 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,710,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
This debate really falls into they 'my girlfriend is prettier than yours!' which is the old adage, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

if you could trade your current QB (Eli, Cousins, Wentz) to Dallas for DAK straight up, would you.

I think the only takers would be the Giants, and not because Eli is not as good as DAK but because most would agree that Eli is on the backside of his career and Dak has (fingers crossed) many years ahead of him.

I would argue that the Giants, Redskins and Eagles would all take that deal. They wouldn't like the PR hit that they would take for doing it but, in a vaccum, they would prefer Prescott to Eli, Cousins or Wentz.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:03 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,143,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Cousins and Eli...not a chance. Kirk is going to become one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL in March.

Maybe Wentz, but he has it so bad compared to Dak. Eagles are one of the worst teams in the NFL talent wise offensively.

I don't think Dallas fans truly understand just how lucky Dak is. #1 offensive line in the NFL. Check. #1 running back in the NFL. check. All day to go through his progressions and throw the ball because he's standing behind the #1 offensive line in the NFL. Check. If Dak played for some random team with an average line and RB like say Detroit or Giants, Dak would definitely not be 10-1. At this point in time, Dak is a compliment to Elliot. Dak is not the "feature" of that offense.

Also, people keep talking about how Dak only has 2 interceptions. Well when you're dead last in the NFL in pass attempts per game and there are 5 QBs who LITERALLY have 100+ more pass attempts than you....

Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 5,696,249 times
Quote:
Cousins and Eli...not a chance. Kirk is going to become one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL in March.

Maybe Wentz, but he has it so bad compared to Dak. Eagles are one of the worst teams in the NFL talent wise offensively.

I don't think Dallas fans truly understand just how lucky Dak is. #1 offensive line in the NFL. Check. #1 running back in the NFL. check. All day to go through his progressions and throw the ball because he's standing behind the #1 offensive line in the NFL. Check. If Dak played for some random team with an average line and RB like say Detroit or Giants, Dak would definitely not be 10-1. At this point in time, Dak is a compliment to Elliot. Dak is not the "feature" of that offense.

Also, people keep talking about how Dak only has 2 interceptions. Well when you're dead last in the NFL in pass attempts per game and there are 5 QBs who LITERALLY have 100+ more pass attempts than you....
You say DEAD LAST like its a bad thing.. ITS NOT! He throws the ball on average 30 times a game.. Last time i checked that was a fair amount of passes... No doubt the fact that he is NOT throwing it around the yard 40 times a game is equating to fewer interceptions... but its not the number you throw but how often you throw them.. Daks INT % is second to only Tom Brady.. that speaks a heck of a lot louder than 30 attempts per game..

I don't like to talk about his interceptions because as soon as you start talking about it, BAM.. interception. I always hate it when announcers mention 'Dak hasn't been picked off in 3 weeks' or 'No turnovers today for dallas' that's almost always the kiss of death!!! SO STOP IT!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:14 AM

14,337 posts, read 14,696,263 times
Really stats can be spun any way you want to get a point across, and coaches say (Belichick, McCarthy) all the time, stats are for losers. I'm sure Belichick said it first and McCarthy copied him.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:36 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,651,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Bill, what do you make of ESPN's MVP rankings through 12 weeks?

ESPN's NFL MVP Poll: Derek Carr takes top spot NFL MVP Poll 2016 - Derek Carr of Oakland Raiders tops ESPN rankings
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app
I can't disagree with their pick of Carr so far. He's having a great year and his brilliant performance leading the Raiders back after both being down and dislocating his pinky was definitely MVP caliber.

I disagree with Ryan at #2 for the reasons they listed as cases against him. He's going to need the other 9-2 and 10-1 teams to fall off that pace while the Falcons would likely have to win out and finish 12-4 to jump into the conversation.

And IMO, that conversation is still just three players, Carr, Dak and Brady. So that means I disagree with their #4 selection as well. Again, 4.9 ypc just doesn't scream MVP candidate to me at the RB position. When AP won the award in 2012 he had a 6.0 ypc average and played with a far inferior supporting cast (Ponder as his QB and Harvin as the #1 WR). Elliot is having a fine year, but not MVP worthy IMO.

This race is going to come down to the wire with a lot of big games coming up where every player will be able to make their case why they should be MVP.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:53 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,651,052 times
Quote:
When compared the "top QBs," when you look at what is being asked of them, Ryan, Rodgers, Brady, Cousins, Rivers, Ryan, Brees....ALL those QBs are asked to carry their teams' offense. They are all "gunslingers" who are asked to put their team on their shoulders week in and week out and lead their teams to victory. Dak is asked to handoff to Elliot most of the time.
So do you want to rewrite the award to mean the player throwing the most passes regardless of whether they are efficient and actually helping their team win? Efficiency is a huge part of the equation for me, more so than number of attempts. It's why I don't rate Elliot and his 4.9 ypc as high as others.

Quote:
ARE SOME OF YOU FOLKS REALLY CONSIDERING A QB WHO IS LITERALLY DEAD LAST IN THE NFL IN PASS ATTEMPTS PER GAME? FOR MVP?! Really, guys??
How exactly is he literally dead last when starting QBs like Tannehill and Tyrod Taylor are behind him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football