Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:56 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I cut the refs some slack on missed calls..
When your team wins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
When your team wins
no doubt.

But i learned LONG AGO not to spend too much time pining over bad calls by the ref.... At the same time, i don't begrudge those who do bark about bad calls by the ref costing their team a win... So if a Viking fan comes up to me today screaming about that bad (no call) on the 2 point conversion screaming it COST them the game.. i wouldn't disagree with them, i would just tell them to take a number... and get in line..

Old 12-02-2016, 06:41 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
People only complain about refs if their team loses. If your team wins a close game with some questionable calls against them, you'll crow for five minutes but then celebrate the win.

Every team has to deal with bad calls at some point. My Cowboys commit some dumb penalties at times that are obvious penalties and there are situations where we get flagged on B.S. Over the course of a season, it generally works out where everyone gets a reasonable share of bad/lucky calls. No team gets a disproportionate share of bad calls. "Good" teams in recent years (Pats, Seahawks etc.) appear to get more calls because they tend to play in lots of high-profile games where everyone is watching them.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:13 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
It feels like the refereeing has been getting worse over the years.

And I'm not a conspiracy theorist...but I am absolutely convinced that there are a few "media darling" teams that get the benefits of some calls.

For example, let's say it's 4th & goal from the 2 yard line. If Tom Brady throws incomplete into tight coverage and there's some contact that's close to a penalty, the refs will throw a flag...because it's Tom Brady. If it's Stafford, Mariotta, or Winston on that play....the refs might not throw a flag.

Goes the other way too. When there's clearly holding by a lineman on a big play for the A-list teams, the refs might swallow the whistle. But for non-media darling teams like TEN, DET, NYJ, etc.....the refs will throw a flag and bring the big play back.

Much like in the NBA when superstars LeBron, Curry, Harden, etc get fluff calls because of who they are. I firmly believe that this is also the case for the NFL's most popular teams. No, the games aren't flat out "rigged." But sometimes it feels like the refs will "do what they can" by throwing a questionable flag if it helps an A-list team win the game.

End of the day the NFL is a business and it loves ratings. When teams like the Patriots, Cowboys, Seahawks and Packers are doing well, it's good for the NFL. Hell, Goodell would probably give BOTH nuts for a Patriots-Cowboys superbowl, because it's good for business.
It seems like it has gotten worse. What they need to do is speed up instant replay as well because they take too long.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Officiating is BAD this year. Much worse than I've noticed it in recent years.

As an Eagles fan, I've noticed quite a lot this year. The one that stood out to me the most was the Eagles vs. Falcons when Jordan Matthews of the Eagles was hit helmet to helmet by Falcons safety Keanu Neal so hard that his face mask and visor was bent and had to be replaced. He was also bleeding from the mouth. There was no helmet to helmet call by the refs.

I don't know what it is. Are refs asked too much and are there too many rules? Are they biased and paid off? Do they need to be full time?

What is the solution? Do they need to be fined and disciplined on missed calls? Should there be reviews on referee calls and missed calls?

Who knows.
Watching the Ravens/Eagles games right now. In the first half the Eagles QB threw away two passes before being sacked that never made it to the line of scrimmage, so yes, I agree with you. Ravens staff is also falling short for not seeing it and throwing the red flag in.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:42 PM

I see many calls made, that were questionable, and if the original call had been made the other way, the play would have been reviewed. Whenever a call is close like that, I wish the refs would call it in a way that would allow for a review, even if they would give a slight edge to the wrong call.

A good example that I saw was a couple years ago when the Ravens were in a playoff game, a receiver caught the ball in the end zone and just as the second foot came down the ball got stripped. they called it incomplete, which meant it could not be reviewed since it was under two minutes to play. I have DVR so I rewound it and played it in slow motion. In the video I had I could not see the second toe touch the ground, but as the leg came down the ankle began to pivot upward, which could only happen if the toe touched down. In the next frame the ball got stripped. Ravens lost the game and were out of the playoffs.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:56 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Watching the Ravens/Eagles games right now. In the first half the Eagles QB threw away two passes before being sacked that never made it to the line of scrimmage, so yes, I agree with you. Ravens staff is also falling short for not seeing it and throwing the red flag in.
Didn't see the play but you can't challenge a "missed penalty" so Raven's staff isn't falling short....

Also, again without seeing the play, the ball only has to reach the line of scrimmage if the QB is out of the tackle box and is just throwing the ball away.....if there is a receiver judged to be in the area ball doesn't have to make the line of scrimmage...

Old 12-18-2016, 01:05 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I see many calls made, that were questionable, and if the original call had been made the other way, the play would have been reviewed. Whenever a call is close like that, I wish the refs would call it in a way that would allow for a review, even if they would give a slight edge to the wrong call.

A good example that I saw was a couple years ago when the Ravens were in a playoff game, a receiver caught the ball in the end zone and just as the second foot came down the ball got stripped. they called it incomplete, which meant it could not be reviewed since it was under two minutes to play. I have DVR so I rewound it and played it in slow motion. In the video I had I could not see the second toe touch the ground, but as the leg came down the ankle began to pivot upward, which could only happen if the toe touched down. In the next frame the ball got stripped. Ravens lost the game and were out of the playoffs.
That was the Lee Evans Non Catch against the Pats in 2011....

That isn't how replay works in the last 2 minutes, if a play is questionable the booth can initiate a review and call down to the ref...

It doesn't matter "how" the call was initially made unless its a scoring play which are all automatically reviewed..

The official call on the field was "no catch" ....the ball was on the way out before the second foot came down.

The booth officials were on record after the game stating they did not initiate a review because they agreed with the call

Old 12-18-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
That was the Lee Evans Non Catch against the Pats in 2011....

That isn't how replay works in the last 2 minutes, if a play is questionable the booth can initiate a review and call down to the ref...

It doesn't matter "how" the call was initially made unless its a scoring play which are all automatically reviewed..

The official call on the field was "no catch" ....the ball was on the way out before the second foot came down.

The booth officials were on record after the game stating they did not initiate a review because they agreed with the call
In the time that they had to look at it, they probably couldn't make the determination to overrule the field call. If they had called it the other way, they likewise wouldn't have been able to over rule the field call.
I looked at it frame by frame and I saw the second foot bending upward as the leg went down, which could only be caused by the foot touching down. The ball was still in his possession and the next frame is where it started coming loose.
So, had it called a touchdown, it would have been automatically reviewed and, in my opinion, it would have held up.

I have an issue with what the booth officials said, after thinking about it. They could have stopped play long enough to look at it closer. Then if they still didn't see anything to change the call then play on. But they didn't bother to look. In a playoff game where a possible score can be the difference between winning and losing, it should have been reviewed.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:51 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
It seems like officiating has gotten worse. Any thoguuths on officiating this year?

Mike Pereira’s take on full-time refs is exactly why NFL officiating is so bad | For The Win
The officiating has been atrocious. I have turned off a few games due to bad officiating. These refs need to be held accountable for bad officiating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football