Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 07:50 PM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Browns are headed to be 0-16 and even though the coach is in his first season I think it's unacceptable. I mean once you are 0-11, 0-12 don't you take more chances to avoid going winless the whole season? I talked to someone on sunday who watched the Browns game and he said they never went for it on 4th down? I can't understand why a coach would play not to lose when the team is already 0-12 and 0-13. Why would he want his name associated with 0-16 and not do whatever to win one game? I;m sorry but I just don't see a need for a NFL coach whose team finishes 0-16 in the regular season. The 5-8 Eagles went for it on 4th down several times on sunday and you have a team like the Browns who is playing it safe at 0-13?

Anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 08:04 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
'ever'?

Well, we have a sample size - so far - of one.

However, in speaking historically of winless NFL seasons, while noting that none of them were 0-16 campaigns...

The 0-8-1 1982 Baltimore Colts brought back Frank Kush.

The 0-14 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers brought back John McKay - and kept him on even as the team ran its losing streak to 26 games.

The 0-11-1 1960 Dallas Cowboys brought back some dude named Tom Landry.

Hell, in 1943 Phil Handler guided the Chicago Cardinals to an 0-10 season. The next year the Cardinals and Steelers merged for a single season, and the Card-Pitt franchise (as it was officially known), with Handler and Walt Kiesling as co-coaches, also went 0-10 in 1944... and Hander was still brought back in 1945! (he was finally demoted to an assistant coach in 1946)

I think it all does depend on the circumstances.

But in the case of the 2016 Browns, yeah, they probably need to go in a new direction. Any other direction would likely be an improvement just by default.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
'ever'?

Well, we have a sample size - so far - of one.

However, in speaking historically of winless NFL seasons, while noting that none of them were 0-16 campaigns...

The 0-8-1 1982 Baltimore Colts brought back Frank Kush.

The 0-14 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers brought back John McKay - and kept him on even as the team ran its losing streak to 26 games.

The 0-11-1 1960 Dallas Cowboys brought back some dude named Tom Landry.

Hell, in 1943 Phil Handler guided the Chicago Cardinals to an 0-10 season. The next year the Cardinals and Steelers merged for a single season, and the Card-Pitt franchise (as it was officially known), with Handler and Walt Kiesling as co-coaches, also went 0-10 in 1944... and Hander was still brought back in 1945! (he was finally demoted to an assistant coach in 1946)

I think it all does depend on the circumstances.

But in the case of the 2016 Browns, yeah, they probably need to go in a new direction. Any other direction would likely be an improvement just by default.

The Browns punter should not even be playing anymore this season. lol Losing 16 straight games is just too many games in a row.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
Everyone knew the Browns were going to be bad. Hell I even said it in the preview thread on September 7 that the Browns would finish 0-16:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
4) Browns (1-15). I can't see a single winnable game for this team this year, but I can't pick an 0-16 team so I'll give them 1 win.

Of course in the same message I also had the Cardinals at 11-5, the Jets & Jaguars each at 9-7, the Lions at 3-13 and my stupid "At least they get the Bears 2 times" snide comment, Dolphins at 3-13, and the Giants at 5-11 so yah those haven't worked out quite as well.

What the Browns need at this point is stability. Stability in a head coach, and stability in a franchise QB, and they should both come in at the same time. Early mock drafts (for however many grains of salt those are worth) have the Browns selecting a linemen at #1 and if that's the case I WOULD NOT fire Jackson, however if the Browns brass deems Deshaun Watson or Gary Ward Jr worthy of drafting #1 than go ahead and fire him, that way you have the QB and the head coach coming in at the same time.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,536 times
Browns will finish 1-15.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Cleveland has the absolute worst roster as far as talent in years the NFL has seen. The coach of the Lions 0-16 team deserved to be fired because he actually had serviceable talent on that roster like Megatron, Cliff Avril, and Jeff Backus among a pretty decent OL. Hue has Joe Thomas, Terrell Pryor, Jamie Collins and nothing else. Plus their division rivals have had the same coaches since 2008 and all have been in the playoffs consistently and even have rings to show for it. Cleveland needs to give Hue a fair chance to let a culture develop and that means keeping him beyond this year even with a 0-16 finish.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Cleveland has the absolute worst roster as far as talent in years the NFL has seen. The coach of the Lions 0-16 team deserved to be fired because he actually had serviceable talent on that roster like Megatron, Cliff Avril, and Jeff Backus among a pretty decent OL. Hue has Joe Thomas, Terrell Pryor, Jamie Collins and nothing else. Plus their division rivals have had the same coaches since 2008 and all have been in the playoffs consistently and even have rings to show for it. Cleveland needs to give Hue a fair chance to let a culture develop and that means keeping him beyond this year even with a 0-16 finish.
The roster has nothing to do with taking chances

Old 12-21-2016, 08:52 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Looks like the Browns are headed to be 0-16 and even though the coach is in his first season I think it's unacceptable. I mean once you are 0-11, 0-12 don't you take more chances to avoid going winless the whole season? I talked to someone on sunday who watched the Browns game and he said they never went for it on 4th down? I can't understand why a coach would play not to lose when the team is already 0-12 and 0-13. Why would he want his name associated with 0-16 and not do whatever to win one game? I;m sorry but I just don't see a need for a NFL coach whose team finishes 0-16 in the regular season. The 5-8 Eagles went for it on 4th down several times on sunday and you have a team like the Browns who is playing it safe at 0-13?

Anyone agree?
I said, back in October or so, that I thought even if they did go 0-16, they'd bring Hue back, because this is in no way his fault. They had a fire sale before he got there, so blaming him was worthless. However, after 3 lackluster starts by RG3, who he touted as the savior of the franchise and everyone saying how he was such a QB guru.. I'm waffling a bit on whether or not he actually gets fired. I still don't think he deserves it, but.. Will it happen? I think better odds than not.

In general, anyone goes 0-16, they get fired.. It's just a matter of are there extenuating circumstances to keep them on? Guilty until proven innocent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Browns will finish 1-15.
They better win this weekend, because Pittsburgh won't be resting their starters in the last game.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,536 times
Yep, this is the game I picked for them to win over a month ago. Honestly, they should have won the first match-up against Baltimore.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:11 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Well, there's nowhere for him to go but up next year! Seriously, the Browns problems go way beyond their coach. They haven't been good since Brian Sipe was there!! Releasing players like Gabriel- who has thrived with the Falcons, and pinning your franchise hopes on the likes of Johnny Football and RG3- stupid is as stupid does. Also, continuing to "build" with players with bad character- Gordon, Manzel, Crowell- their ignorance in roster moves is beyond understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football