Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:46 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,657,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I seen the skins fire a first year coach who finished 3-13 so to think a guy is not canned after 0-16 would just be shocking. I don't care how bad the roster is no NFL team should ever finish 0-16 when the coaching staff is getting paid to coach.
I don't remember seeing that.. ??

Schottenheimer was 8-8 and got fired.
Petitbon was 4-12...

3-13? i missed that season.

Regardless, don't use the Redskins as a bench mark for anything other than number of Pig noses seen at the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 12:50 PM

1,281 posts, read 775,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't remember seeing that.. ??

Schottenheimer was 8-8 and got fired.
Petitbon was 4-12...

3-13? i missed that season.

Regardless, don't use the Redskins as a bench mark for anything other than number of Pig noses seen at the game.
Richie Pettibone 1993. OK I was close. One loss off

Old 12-23-2016, 03:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,809,953 times
for a first year coach, this isnt his team yet. he might have been working with these guys for the year, and perhaps they are starting to come around to his way of doing things, but he still needs a little time.

i s ay lets see what his draft choices are, and how he reorganizes the team in the off season, and what they do in the first half of next season. if in the first eight games of next season the browns are close to .500, then keep him on and let him build the team. if not then let him go at the end of the season if things dont improve.

as for this season, the browns came close in a few game, they lost to the ravens by 5, the dolphins by 6, the titans by 2, the jets by 3, so there are four games they were in.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:48 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,830,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Cleveland has the absolute worst roster as far as talent in years the NFL has seen. The coach of the Lions 0-16 team deserved to be fired because he actually had serviceable talent on that roster like Megatron, Cliff Avril, and Jeff Backus among a pretty decent OL. Hue has Joe Thomas, Terrell Pryor, Jamie Collins and nothing else. Plus their division rivals have had the same coaches since 2008 and all have been in the playoffs consistently and even have rings to show for it. Cleveland needs to give Hue a fair chance to let a culture develop and that means keeping him beyond this year even with a 0-16 finish.
Agreed!

This once proud franchise has been a mess ever since Marty Schottenheimer was forced to resign by Art Modell after going 10-6 in 1988. Though Bud Carson took the club to the 1989 AFC Championship game, by 1991 he was gone. Then there is Bill Belichick in the "what could have been" situation. A good item to check out regarding THAT part of Brown history would be NFL Films "95 Cleveland Browns-A Football Life."

Fast forward to the 2000's. a plethora of bad decisions by management, poor play on the field, and the Cleveland fans? Oy.

Dissenter makes a good point regarding the other clubs in the Brown's division. Since Cleveland got back into the league in 2000 the Baltimore Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls as have the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Bengals? while Marvin Lewis hasn't got any Super Bowl appearances he at least has made the Bengal franchise respectable over the past dozen years. The dozen years before Lewis was named head coach? How about a dozen years of losing seasons?

Continuity can be a good thing sometimes, take the Steelers. Chuck Noll took over the job as head coach in 1969. Then Bill Cowher in 1992. Mike Tomlin makes the count three head coaches in 47 years. Think about that-47 years! And all three coaches have super bowl rings. The Steelers also have appeared in Super Bowls in 4 different decades.

Hue Jackson was named head coach by Al Davis in 2011. I'd have to look up to check the amount of head coaches the Raiders had 20 years previous to 2011. I'd guess a dozen. After Al Davis died, the Raiders set up a general manager who was a former Raider linebacker himself-Reggie McKenzie. And the first thing he did was let Hue Jackson go and picked his own man-Jack Del Rio. It will be hard to criticize the signing of Del Rio as he has brought the Raiders back from a couple decades of bad teams. Just like Cleveland has experienced.

It's been 27 years since the Browns have been in a conference championship game. Talk about a long dry spell. I'd like to see Hue Jackson get a shot at rebuilding this club.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-24-2016 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: correction, spelling

Old 12-24-2016, 06:54 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,605,754 times
Thanks for the Browns insight, a good read. I don't follow the AFC as close as the NFC, aside from Patriots and Steelers. I think fans don't see the big picture thinking firing coaches, general managers, changing team ownership will be an instant quick fix and it isn't easy as typing ideas on the internet!

Old 12-24-2016, 02:20 PM

Funny after I create this thread the Browns win their first game of the season. lol

Congrats to the Browns for avoiding 0-16

Old 12-24-2016, 07:10 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,458,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I seen the skins fire a first year coach who finished 3-13 so to think a guy is not canned after 0-16 would just be shocking. I don't care how bad the roster is no NFL team should ever finish 0-16 when the coaching staff is getting paid to coach.

No you didn't, because it's never happened.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
the skins was actually 4-12, I was one off for the 1993 season.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:49 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,388,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Oh yes it did happen. They fired Mike Shanahan.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:51 PM

17,555 posts, read 15,208,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Oh yes it did happen. They fired Mike Shanahan.
He wasn't a first year coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football