Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:04 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,654,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Is there a reason people are confident the Falcons can win a playoff game?
UH, i am pretty sure the LAST time the Falcons won a playoff game it was against this same Seahawks team..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 03:14 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,654,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
It does more than it used to. Way back when, you could usually count on Dolphins, 49ers, Cowboys to make it to the SB. Cowboys dominated the '80s. I got sick of them like others are sick of the Pats BUT I was not a hater. I rooted for them many times when they were the lesser of two evils.
No...
The 49ers were the team of the 80s.. the Cowboys were the team of the 90s and even then they only dominated the first half of that decade.. Don't get me started on the Dolphins, they haven't been to a Super Bowl since Reagan was in office.. and even then, they LOST!

Old 01-09-2017, 05:10 PM

71 posts, read 60,902 times
Doing something I rarely do. Going with all home teams for the win this weekend. Cowboys, Patriots, Chiefs and Falcons.

Packers got there usual out of Randall Cobb which is two good games during the year.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 PM

5,813 posts, read 5,607,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Maybe, I like to bring up the fact that ATL will be focused because they're being slept on, I realize that Seattle is a proud team too. No doubt, they will be ready to play. I just feel that the deciding factor will be ATL's offense and Matt Ryan is playing at an MVP level.

Hold on now, remember that Seattle lost to New Orleans and plays twice against LA and SF (losing to the Rams by the way). Let's look at the entire schedule (ATL had a tougher sched too). There are some common opponents and Seattle beat some teams that ATL lost to & vice versa. That Chiefs game, yeah it was putrid and ATL gave that away but Seattle lost an important game against a dead Cardinals team....

Anyway, Seattle dominated a Detroit team who was transported into the playoffs while on their deathbed (they lost 3 straight going in). Seattle already beat ATL so I do think ATL will be itching to get at Seattle. It's going to be a good game.
My point is, Atlanta is getting a ton of respect but they've lost when they've got a losing record versus teams with the defense to match their offensive weaponry--Chiefs, Eagles, Seahawks. Now, they did beat Denver and Arizona, those two wins were impressive. I just find it funny that people are insinuating this Falcons team is so dominant that we should overlook their weaknesses...

Seattle dealt with far more injuries than Atlanta this year. Not making excuses for an elite franchise with high standards, but you gotta provide some context to their losses. They employ two of the Top 5 safeties of the past 6 years on their roster, and went long stretches without both this season. Their QB was hurt pretty much all season. They had a running back carousel in which no RB could stay healthy; when one was, the other was out. They had Bennett out for a long stretch. People throw around this "inconsistent" word but it's a credit to phenomenal organizational control that they even won 10 games and their division. Franchises with lesser coaching and guidance would have crumbled the season away missing so many big time players. Closer to the truth, is if you take away a couple of those injuries, even with that crap O-line, Seattle probably easily gets a bye...

Now, I believe in Atlanta because I believe in Quinn as a coach. I think they are poised to be a contender, but there is holes all over that defense this season. I believe in Ryan, I've always liked him, and after Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers, I'd say Ryan has a case as a Top 5 quarterback of the last decade/ten seasons of NFL football. He's got an ugly monkey on his back though, and he's a 9-year vet. At some point, he's gotta show sustainable success and get to the Super Bowl. He's been to the playoffs four times and has only won one game. Will that change this year? There's a better than half chance it could, but if all we have to go on is resume, I think it's more than fair to say that in the Matt Ryan era in Atlanta, he's underachieved when they've needed him most. Michael Vick won more playoff games as the starter in Atlanta. These are the things and players that Ryan is going to be judged against...

I think this could be the game of the weekend. It's got plenty of interesting plot lines. There isn't a QB left in the tournament with more on the line than Matt Ryan. They are the trendy dark horse Super Bowl pick. They have a great young coach off the Pete Carroll tree who I really believe can turn out to be an all-timer. I believe they'll be focused, I just think Seattle will be too. And we know they can respond to adversity on the postseason stage. Will Atlanta?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 PM

14,320 posts, read 14,597,421 times
I remember last year in the wild card, all the home teams lost, visitors won. This year exact opposite, home teams won, right? I think getting down to the division, (I forget what happened last year, know Pack lost in OT in AZ), home teams will all have the edge probably.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,853,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I remember last year in the wild card, all the home teams lost, visitors won. This year exact opposite, home teams won, right? I think getting down to the division, (I forget what happened last year, know Pack lost in OT in AZ), home teams will all have the edge probably.
All the home teams won. Carolina over Seattle. Denver & NE beat someone at home. I can't remember who.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 PM

9,741 posts, read 7,444,442 times
Yes: Seattle did beat Atlanta. But they beat them on an atrocious call as the Falcons were driving for the game-winning field goal. With all the bad calls this year, that non holding/PI call on Roddy White on that 4th down incompletion on said drive might be one of the worst of the year. Atlanta is ready to get them back in the dome (remember the Seahawk zebras don't travel).

Old 01-09-2017, 08:10 PM

5,813 posts, read 5,607,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Yes: Seattle did beat Atlanta. But they beat them on an atrocious call as the Falcons were driving for the game-winning field goal. With all the bad calls this year, that non holding/PI call on Roddy White on that 4th down incompletion on said drive might be one of the worst of the year. Atlanta is ready to get them back in the dome (remember the Seahawk zebras don't travel).
That PI was bad and should have been called, it was an easy call and difficult to see how they missed it. That ain't why they lost the game, though:

Atlanta had a 24-17 lead heading into the fourth quarter, when the offense went stale. The Falcons D still held Seattle scoreless until 3:51 left, and when Seattle scored, they missed the PAT so Atlanta's vaunted offense got the ball back with 3:51 up 24-23. Ryan threw an interception, truly it was a drop by Julio Jones that caused that pick. Seattle kicked game winning FG. But the story of the 4th quarter was Atlanta's offense going missing after playing a very good game, blowing a 24-17 lead on the road in less than 4 minutes...

In that 4th Quarter, Matt Ryan went 3/8 for 32 yards and an interception. He took one 13 yard sack. The Falcons had five rushing yards. Atlanta had three offensive possessions in the 4th, only possessed the ball for 3:45 and scored 0 points. Atlanta had 8 penalties that game to Seattle's three. They turned it over twice to Seattle's zero. So let's talk about why and how they really lost the game. Seattle's offense kept the Falcons off the field, and Seattle's defense held serve on three Falcons 4th quarter possessions. Seattle only had 72 rushing yards on the day but kept with it and Wilson played a brilliant fourth quarter. Yes, the missed PI was horrible, but that was the Falcons last play of the game. They had 3 possessions before that where they did absolutely nothing...

Now, without question, it can be assumed it will be improbable that Seattle can duplicate that 4th quarter success in the Georgia Dome, the venue makes a huge difference. Let's also not forget that Wilson was pretty much immobile that day, deep in the throes of his injuries. Some of the players missing that day for Seattle: Rawls, Prosise, Richardson, Clark, Chancellor. Thomas is gone but all these other players are suiting up on Saturday. Specifically, we know Chancellor is a game-changer, and if both running backs are available, it presents a dynamic Seattle didn't have in Game One...

So, I think closer inspection at the circumstances of that game presents a different picture than Atlanta just running away with this. Atlanta was pretty much full strength, they were missing no key players in that game, whereas Seattle was missing a bunch. Truth, the team got better as the year went on and a full strength Falcons team at home cannot be discounted. But this is hardly the same Seahawks team they played in Week 6, and not just because Thomas is gone. To look at Seattle's late-year inconsistencies and declare an automatic Falcons win is fools gold and Atlanta will lose if they have the attitude of "if that PI was called, we would have won the game". They played a good game and still lost to a Seattle team with far more injuries than they had...

Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,556,308 times
ATL & Seattle will be a good game. I'm looking forward to it.

Murk, that pass interference by Sherman happened with 1:30 left on the clock. No, it isn't a guarantee that ATL wins the game but they more than likely win the game had they called PI (automatic first down at the 40 & one time out). So yes, that no call did cost ATL the game bro. Seattle won and now they play again.

You made your case and you are riding with Seattle....cool. I can't wait for Sat to roll around.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 AM

7,592 posts, read 6,071,917 times
WHEN BIRDS ATTACK !
Seahawks @ FALCONS Well, ALMOST everyone else is picking the Seahawks, which means that most everyone else will probably be correct
HOWEVER: The Falcons are flying high, but under the radar, while the Seahawks are flying up and down. I will admit that this game could go either way, it depends on whether the high flying Seahawks swoop in or the land loving ones arrive. If it is the former, then they will take a win back to Seattle. If they do not, then the Falcons will fly on to the NFC Championship. Either way, I look for this to be the best game of the weekend. The Falcons are a better team than people realize.

Texans @ PATRIOTS The Patriots (AKA THE Deflatriots) Are on the way to the Super Bowl, while the Texans are happy to be working in January. Not even a close game.

Steelers @ CHIEFS I did not look to see who everyone else picked, but Andy Reid has been eating well for the past two weeks, and when he is well fed, the Chefs win. He also tends to do well coaching when his team comes off of a rest, at least some of the time, statistically, but statistically, statistics don't seem to matter this season in the NFL (Which is my way of saying that I have no idea, nor have I had any clue since September, as evidenced by my barely over .500 pick rate)

Packers @ COWBOYS The Cowboys appear to be unbeatable, except by the Giants, and with the distractions of Randy Gregory gone for now, the Cowboys can focus on the task at hand, finding a way for two rookies to keep winning even when people say that they cannot. (Interesting, but Gregory seems to be the last of the Jerry Jones Inspired picks, as his son and managers made mist of the picks this year. Fitting, as Jones has always squandered picks on players that 31 teams would not touch due to drug/character issues. Who does he think he is, AL Davis ? )

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 01-10-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football