Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I agree, Tam88, this will be very interesting to watch. Oakland apparently kept coming up with the same plans when given time and didn't have good options. A few years ago Tony Romo couldn't hold a football event in Vegas due to NFL objections, and here they are with a team to be there.

I'm not sure how it will be having a team in Vegas, although fans of teams that travel well, might like to go there for a game.

How are the players going to react, they are under contract, have to accept it but doesn't mean they have to be happy about it.
Once Nevada approved $750 million in public cash for the move, it was game over for Oakland. California was in no position to match that offer.

I think the fact that Nevada does not have a state income tax while CA has a 14% income tax will warm players up to playing in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:45 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Very true, one thing some fans might not even consider when it comes to players, where they live, taxes they have to pay, etc., it gets complicated. Many players have Florida as their state residence, no income taxes there either.

Income taxes are a big issue, every state has a different tax base and many have reciprocal agreements. I did payroll for years and it was an ongoing thing to explain to employees about living in one state, working in another, having to pay taxes where they living.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Taxes aside, this is a big downgrade for the players and front office personnel in terms of living in the Bay Area vs. Las Vegas. Vegas is a nice place to visit once a year for 2-3 days, but to live there? No thanks.

Anyways, now Mark Davis is saying the team may remain in Oakland through the 2019 season:

Mark Davis: Could stay in Oakland through 2019 season | ProFootballTalk

I am going to guess there will be a lot of empty seats (rightfully so) for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 seasons.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The Raiders will not be moving to Sin City after all. Sheldon Adelson and Goldman Sachs have pulled out of the deal. This leaves the supremely moronic and incompetent Mark Davis holding the bag. If you all will recall MD came calling on San Antonio roughly 3 years ago, dangled the Raiders in front of us, and then decided in the end to give SA the middle finger. That was a very stupid, short-sighted thing to do. The SA-Austin corridor is booming in every way, has three times the population of the Las Vegas region, and would be a great area for any NFL franchise to move into. This is well known now.

The decision not to move the Raiders to South Texas has had lasting repercussions for MD. With the Vegas deal on life support and virtually dead, MD has few options left. He could have had his team playing in a very sufficient Alamodome with the promise of a newer bigger dome down the road. The Alamodome is not state of the art but would be infinitely superior to that ancient cesspool in Oakland. It's covered, can hold 72,000 people for football games and is already paid for. Davis' refusal to move to Texas when he had the chance will prove to be his downfall in the end.

Given such an opportunity that was presented to MD by San Antonio city leaders back then, any owner or even any competent businessman would have grabbed the deal. So, after all has been said the proposed move to LV by the Raiders was just a quixotic fantasy gone bad. Congratulations Mark. You have proven yourself to be a complete idiot.[/url]
Definitely don't go into fortune-telling!

You might think Mark is a complete idiot for not moving his team to your beloved San Antonio, but he is laughing all the way to the bank in Vegas baby!

Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Taxes aside, this is a big downgrade for the players and front office personnel in terms of living in the Bay Area vs. Las Vegas. Vegas is a nice place to visit once a year for 2-3 days, but to live there? No thanks.
i disagree. vegas is a pretty nice place not to just visit, but to live there as well. friendly people, plenty to do, even without the gambling, lots of good shows and restaurants there, and the business opportunities are much better than the bay area, or at least as good. and with no personal income taxes in nevada, the players are going to save a ton of money.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
It's gonna be an awkward couple of years coming up in Oakland. The Raiders do currently have quite a few fans who travel from outside the Bay Area to see the team, so it will be interesting to see how attendance is affected. As an Oakland native, this is why I never fully invested in the team, because the Davises have been looking to leave ever since they moved the team back.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
So only the Miami Dolphins voted against the move? I think now is the time for the San Francisco 49ers really try to dominate the bay area metro. Make it an unwelcoming place for the Raiders. The Raiders have left Oakland twice now. If I was a Raiders fan I would switch to 49ers.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:57 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
31-1. I was a little surprised that Stephen Ross of the Dolphins was the lone holdout. I figured it'd be Jerry Richardson of the Panthers.
I wouldn't be surprised if Miami, New Orleans, Houston and Phoenix voted against the move. This just puts Las Vegas in the Super Bowl rotation.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
I don't see how the Raiders stay in Oakland for 3 seasons waiting for stadium. That part makes no sense at all. They'd better moving anywhere for those years rather than staying. Going to be majorly awkward. Also, surprised more owners weren't against this move.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Also, surprised more owners weren't against this move.
It's easy "free" money for the other owners, they will each get a cut of the relocation fee, which is supposed going to be $350 million for the Raiders.

Why NFL relocation fees are the biggest boondoggle in sports

According to the article I posted, the 29 NFL owners (not the Raiders, Chargers, Rams) will be getting ~$53 million each for just voting, even the teams that voted no on relocation get the free money!

In addition, the owners probably feel with the Raiders moving to Vegas that increases the Raiders market value, which in turn can help the value of the other franchises around the league. It's basically a no-brainier, win-win for the rest of the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football