Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Even for those who think Romo's only motivator is self-interest, with the Dallas loss his chance of playing in this year's NFC Championship Game and Siuper Bowl ended. And, yes, there is always a chance. Just ask Drew Bledsoe, who, after losing the Patriots starting job to Tom Brady in 2001 due to an injury, came in early in the second quarter of that year's AFC title game in place of an injured Brady an with the Pats nursing a 7-3 lead over Pittsburgh. Bledsoe led them to 17 points, a 24-17 win, and a Super Bowl appearance. True, Brady was healthy again for the big game, but it might have been otherwise.

Every year, high schools churn out thousands of quarterbacks. Only a tiny, tiny percentage of them will claw their way to being a starting NFL QB for years on end. And one common denominator they have is an intense, almost maniacal competitiveness. You'll find very few of them moping around on the sidelines thinking "Well, if I can't play than I hope we lose so I save face!". And there's really no reason to think Romo is one of those.
^ This

I think there is ZERO chance that Romo was in any way "relieved" that the Cowboys lost so he could say "See it wasn't me"

If he DID feel that way then I have ZERO respect for the guy because thats just not how true athletes and competitors are put together....

I really think that anyone who believes otherwise has never played a team sport, true there are some "me first" guys, locker room cancers that may think like this but by and large its just not the way these guys think....Romo has literally bled with many of these guys for years guarantee he wanted that ring not just for himself but for his teammates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
^ This

I think there is ZERO chance that Romo was in any way "relieved" that the Cowboys lost so he could say "See it wasn't me"

If he DID feel that way then I have ZERO respect for the guy because thats just not how true athletes and competitors are put together....

I really think that anyone who believes otherwise has never played a team sport, true there are some "me first" guys, locker room cancers that may think like this but by and large its just not the way these guys think....Romo has literally bled with many of these guys for years guarantee he wanted that ring not just for himself but for his teammates
Zero? You need to dig deeper than the surface to see what I was reflecting
on. Of COURSE its not obvious nor should it be. Say what you want..but if Dallas had won ..Romo would have FOREVER been reminded how he failed.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak4 View Post
You may have a point because if the Cowboys had won Prescott would have accomplished something Romo didn't in his entire career as the Cowboys starter which was reaching the NFC Championship game.
All I'm saying..and if you don't think he knows that, you are kidding yourself. That said i don't think Romo held back at all teaching and driving Prescott. THAT is where his professionalism comes in. The embers I am referring to are buried much deeper inside.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Zero? You need to dig deeper than the surface to see what I was reflecting
on. Of COURSE its not obvious nor should it be. Say what you want..but if Dallas had won ..Romo would have FOREVER been reminded how he failed.
He has STILL failed....Cowboys never won a SB with him that hasn't changed, I will be shocked if this current group doesn't win at least 1 SB in the next 5-7 years...it doesn't matter that it didn't happen this year. That's why this whole line of thinking makes ZERO sense. Or maybe like the 72 Dolphins you think Romo will lift a glass of champagne every time the Cowboys get eliminated from the playoffs from here to eternity?

I still believe there is ZERO chance Romo was pleased with Cowboys losing, just not in the makeup of a professional athlete....at least not one with any heart or class and say what you will about Romo....he has class and heart.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
He has STILL failed....Cowboys never won a SB with him that hasn't changed, I will be shocked if this current group doesn't win at least 1 SB in the next 5-7 years...it doesn't matter that it didn't happen this year. That's why this whole line of thinking makes ZERO sense. Or maybe like the 72 Dolphins you think Romo will lift a glass of champagne every time the Cowboys get eliminated from the playoffs from here to eternity?

I still believe there is ZERO chance Romo was pleased with Cowboys losing, just not in the makeup of a professional athlete....at least not one with any heart or class and say what you will about Romo....he has class and heart.
Again..I did NOT say he was pleased. All i said was deep down I am willing to bet he felt a little relief. You are just ignoring human nature in your analysis completely. And no..it was only THIS year. I don't think even next year it would be the same.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:51 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I think it would only be human nature to somewhat relieved..

Its like this:

Your hired to do a job
eventually, the boss comes in and replaces you... thinking this new guy can do better...

the new guy comes and gets the SAME results.

it has to be somewhat of a relief..

but then of course.. i believe as many do that eventually this NEW GUY is gonna improve upon his former.. i think that is inevitable.. baring injury!

Old 01-18-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Again..I did NOT say he was pleased. All i said was deep down I am willing to bet he felt a little relief. You are just ignoring human nature in your analysis completely. And no..it was only THIS year. I don't think even next year it would be the same.
You are making up "human nature" and making up rules as to how long this supposed "relief" has a shelf life....

Sports aren't like other jobs its about competition and going to battle with team mates especially in football which is really about the "team" if the "team" is any good.

It would take a seriously self centered and selfish human being to be relieved his team didn't win a world championship just because he didn't take part.

And sorry, based on your "logic" you don't get to put a 1 year shelf life on how long this "feeling" would last because if Zak EVER gets to an NFC Championship Game or Super Bowl and wins one he will still have outperformed Romo.

This situation isn't new....it happened in New England 15 years ago, I was a big Bledsoe fan and still consider him an incredible class act. In fact, very similar to Romo as neither was a HOF QB but both were very good QB's and classy individuals...

I have read everything Bledsoe had to say about the experience he went through, NEVER did he suggest that he wished the Pats had lost...he called the experience bittersweet but I guarantee he wasn't pouting and hoping the Pats lost the SB because he wasn't starting....

“The ultimate goal is at hand, you’ve got a chance to win a world championship and you’ve got all these guys you’ve gone to battle with, but when you don’t get to be the guy that goes on the field, that stings a little bit,” Bledsoe said.

Although it won’t feel as sweet winning a championship as the on-the-field leader, Bledsoe enlightened the audience that it’s still better than the alternative.

“As a matter of fact, I have still never watched that 1996 Super Bowl that we played against the Packers,” Bledsoe said.
Drew Bledsoe: Watching Brady Win 1st Super Bowl Was ‘Bittersweet’ « CBS DC

Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think it would only be human nature to somewhat relieved..

Its like this:

Your hired to do a job
eventually, the boss comes in and replaces you... thinking this new guy can do better...

the new guy comes and gets the SAME results.

it has to be somewhat of a relief..

but then of course.. i believe as many do that eventually this NEW GUY is gonna improve upon his former.. i think that is inevitable.. baring injury!
Right...basically it in a nutshell. Same company..you still work for them..but you cant tell me you are wholeheartedly rooting for that guy.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
You are making up "human nature" and making up rules as to how long this supposed "relief" has a shelf life....

Sports aren't like other jobs its about competition and going to battle with team mates especially in football which is really about the "team" if the "team" is any good.

It would take a seriously self centered and selfish human being to be relieved his team didn't win a world championship just because he didn't take part.

And sorry, based on your "logic" you don't get to put a 1 year shelf life on how long this "feeling" would last because if Zak EVER gets to an NFC Championship Game or Super Bowl and wins one he will still have outperformed Romo.

This situation isn't new....it happened in New England 15 years ago, I was a big Bledsoe fan and still consider him an incredible class act. In fact, very similar to Romo as neither was a HOF QB but both were very good QB's and classy individuals...

I have read everything Bledsoe had to say about the experience he went through, NEVER did he suggest that he wished the Pats had lost...he called the experience bittersweet but I guarantee he wasn't pouting and hoping the Pats lost the SB because he wasn't starting....

“The ultimate goal is at hand, you’ve got a chance to win a world championship and you’ve got all these guys you’ve gone to battle with, but when you don’t get to be the guy that goes on the field, that stings a little bit,” Bledsoe said.

Although it won’t feel as sweet winning a championship as the on-the-field leader, Bledsoe enlightened the audience that it’s still better than the alternative.

“As a matter of fact, I have still never watched that 1996 Super Bowl that we played against the Packers,” Bledsoe said.
Drew Bledsoe: Watching Brady Win 1st Super Bowl Was ‘Bittersweet’ « CBS DC
Oh ok..human nature does not occur for athletes...RRRIIIGGGHHTTTT. You are right..I should not say 1 year..it could last way more than that.

lol..you do understand that Bledsoe could never voice what he really felt right? Bittersweet said it ALL. Also, I said several times I do NOT think Romo rooted against his team. You are making this black and white..try to think a little gray.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:22 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Zero? but if Dallas had won ..Romo would have FOREVER been reminded how he failed.
Very Big IF because Dallas did not win, nor could the current team win. The fault does not lie with Romo but goes much much deeper.
Romo took the team as far as anyone except for Staubach, Morton or Aikmen.
Further than some others on the position too.

The Problem is Not Romo, Romo is a team player but just one player, and with or without him, they still would have lost.

The fix for the team to get to the next level will be more challenging than it was to get to the current level.

I will post the answers on here when I feel like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football