Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:39 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Ahh yes, forgot those. Get rid of them.
That's what I thought. Besides, I'll say this, if NFL gives London an NFL team, I guarantee you the NFL ratings will go down even further, much further. I can only hope that doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 12:44 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,068 times
The NFL tried to claim it was the election coverage which impacted viewing numbers for the season. Then there was talk of concussions on the field of play as turning people away. What ??. Football fans are suddenly repulsed by players getting injured. No sale either.

The main reason was down to Colin Kaepernick and some other NFL players becoming political. Quite a few fans just said enough of this nonsense, we just want to see football. We might come back when the NFL starts to grow a pair and tell the players to leave that politicking for off the field of play. Truly, it was not just Kaepernicks protest belief which irked many onlookers, it was as has been suggested the sense of apathy which made the whole thing so hollow. Colin Kaep's heart was just not in the whole protest thing from the outset. Maybe a group meeting with his homies and the idea came up to kneel at the next game. Sounded cool , he did it and then had to do it again thereafter. Just in ways a trial of endurance or resilience to do it all in the face of criticism. Like a dare and this QB was not going to flinch.

Thank you Kaep for maybe doing enough to not see you around next year. The NFL will look at viewing numbers after this season and make up their minds from there.

If there is a silver lining for this NFL year, it is a upcoming SuperBowl which promises to be a thriller. Focus on this aspect of the game and get rid of the garbage.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:10 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
Did people really care about the Kaep thing? Sure I thought it was stupid, but I just saw it as a has-been (backup at the time) trying to get a job like that gay basketball player that came out a few years ago when he was looking for a new contract (forgot his name now).

I don't know if the election had an impact on it, but it really was amazing. The other day I heard Donald Trump talk about Brady being a big name getting on magazine covers and talking about how it's nothing compared to his coverage. Which is really true. For the past 6 or 8 months, every single story on facebook has been Donald Trump, Donald Trump, Donald Trump. Most of it negative of course. You could have come out of a coma in September or October and glanced over a month worth of facebook updates, and you wouldn't even know who the democratic candidate was. I also remember a Belichick press conference before the Seahawks game when the liberal reporters kept trying to bully him into admitting he voted for Trump instead of talking about the Seahawks. Made me sick.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:21 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
The Kaep thing certainly didn't bother me... i talked to some that it bother but not enough to keep them from watching the game.

I think my NFL TV viewing has changed a lot over the past 10-15 years. i no longer spend most of my Sunday glued to the TUBE watching the NFL, regardless of who is playing.. at one time, i did just that but no longer. i can't tell you exactly WHY i changed, i think its a bit of saturation but also know that i have kids now and they take up more of my time. My viewing is really directed around my youngest son. he is a big fan of the Cowboys (where did he get that from) and he will watch an entire Cowboys game but he will not watch and entire game that does not involve the Cowboys so i mimic him.. for better or worse.. HOWEVER, we did watch the entire Falcons/Packers game this Sunday.. but only about 1 quarter of the Steelers/Patriots game..

Old 01-26-2017, 02:28 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
The only thing that intrigued me about Colin Kaepernick was how big his hair is.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:49 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
People who had problems with the Kaepernick thing are far too sensitive IMO. Or am I just too insensitive? It's like when people ask me why do I care so much if my team wins or loses? It won't affect your life any people say. Well, you could say the same about the whole Kaepernick saga. One, two or dozen players taking a knee before a game. How does that actually affect your life?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
A) The politicization of the sport via the anthem protests and the NFL's decision to stand silent as it spread across the league, and B) people are uncomfortable with people possibly causing permanent brain injury to themselves for our entertainment.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:08 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Did people really care about the Kaep thing? Sure I thought it was stupid, but I just saw it as a has-been (backup at the time) trying to get a job like that gay basketball player that came out a few years ago when he was looking for a new contract (forgot his name now).

I don't know if the election had an impact on it, but it really was amazing. The other day I heard Donald Trump talk about Brady being a big name getting on magazine covers and talking about how it's nothing compared to his coverage. Which is really true. For the past 6 or 8 months, every single story on facebook has been Donald Trump, Donald Trump, Donald Trump. Most of it negative of course. You could have come out of a coma in September or October and glanced over a month worth of facebook updates, and you wouldn't even know who the democratic candidate was. I also remember a Belichick press conference before the Seahawks game when the liberal reporters kept trying to bully him into admitting he voted for Trump instead of talking about the Seahawks. Made me sick.
Simply put...people are tired of watching commercials every 5 minutes..the game plods along.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:09 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
People who had problems with the Kaepernick thing are far too sensitive IMO. Or am I just too insensitive? It's like when people ask me why do I care so much if my team wins or loses? It won't affect your life any people say. Well, you could say the same about the whole Kaepernick saga. One, two or dozen players taking a knee before a game. How does that actually affect your life?
From what I gather, a lot of people who are cops or similar took a ton of offense to it. I don't know that many cops, but that's the feeling I got. I don't think it rubbed them the wrong way enough to stop watching football though. I don't know any soldiers.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:01 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
From what I gather, a lot of people who are cops or similar took a ton of offense to it. I don't know that many cops, but that's the feeling I got. I don't think it rubbed them the wrong way enough to stop watching football though. I don't know any soldiers.
Why would they stop the networks only shows the national anthems before the Super Bowl anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football