Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

This is about sports and the psychological inclinations of sports fans. It doesn't have squat to do with what you think is 'wrong with our country'.
I'm glad you feel that way. It's sort of cute and endearing.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:59 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You're right: people have disliked plenty of other sports franchises too. Like I said, success breeds contempt. Today more than ever this is not independent of the political and social climate of our country. But this is the football forum and I don't discuss politics/social issues online. Or in person. Life's too short for that kind of futility.

If you're a Pats fan why not just enjoy your team being champs again? Why worry about why others don't like your team?
That's a valid question. I don't worry about what others think, and the level of my enjoyment after this win is that it cemented (not that a win was 100% necessary) legendary status on the Patriots, Brady, Belichick, and Kraft. IMO this dynasty run is an amazing ride born from pure luck of convergence. No one could have imagined a scenario where Robert Kraft, Bill Belichick, and Tom Brady would all intersect, and 16+ years later we would have witnessed Super Bowl 51 and it's implications on NFL history.

Success does breed contempt and hate, mostly blind I believe, towards the successful. COuld be simple jealousy, or something else. The story line leading into this Super Bowl is 100 fold better than anything Vince McMahon could have concocted for the WWE. When it was over, it was etched forever in sports folklore. Anyone who watched that game understands that, the fact this game will be spoken of generations down the line. To have witnessed it was awesome, and to be a fan of the Patriots makes it a once in a lifetime sports memory.

I think Brady's Facebook page is a hoot. Following what Tom & Gisele allow you to see publicly, I just don't see anything negative there. Of course I could be wrong, but Tom Brady exemplifies what a role model is, period. That's what I see. He's a leader of men, and those men follow and are successful because they do.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
He cheated and mostly got away with it.
Please expand. The loose use of the word cheat without definition is what I'm driving at. Explain and substantiate the cheat. If you believe it's all about cheating, then you are saying the Pats cheated in this Super Bowl. Every game for that matter. So again, please expand.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:14 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
With me it's not about Brady. He's legit.

However, I personally have little appreciation for Belichick -- as a person. For instance, he could be less rude to the media. His manner seems to be arrogant, and comes off as annoying. As a coach he may be the greatest in the NFL, but that's as far as I'm able to receive the guy. The way he presents himself is a bit much.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:03 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
That's a valid question. I don't worry about what others think...
In all fairness, it may have actually been a bit unfair as I think more about it. Especially since one of my pastimes during football season is to follow a whole litany of semi-pro sports sites (Fansided, SB Nation) for the AFC West teams. During the 2015 season these sites for the Kansas City Chiefs were especially wonderful to read. Especially going into that week 2 game in KC.

Fans were rooting for the Chiefs defense to take Peyton Manning out and end his career that night. They didn't want a win, they wanted blood! Naturally it was incredibly satisfying to see Manning get the ball with just over 2 minutes remaining and needing a TD to tie the game, and drive the length of the field for said TD. Then just a few seconds later the defense created that turnover and Bradley Roby's scoop and score secured the win.

While I am not influenced one way or the other by what others think, I do check in and honestly may have even enjoyed their salty tears that night. The Broncos haven't beaten the Chiefs in three tries since that game, but they have won a Super Bowl so that sort of makes up for it.

So again, probably an unfair question on my part. Enjoy another Pats championship. It really is a historic accomplishment on the part of the Patriots, from the owner down to the guy who mixes the Gatorade before the games.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I have reasons, but know they wouldn't fly with the Brady fan club.
One reason I hate him though is because his experimental Justin Bieber & long hair days are over. Come the boring weeks of late Sept it actually provided a reason to tune into the Patriots. Just to see how Brady's hair was coming along.
The point of my O.P. is a curiosity as to the reasons. Not going to hurt my feelings nor should it to any Brady fan, but I am interested in hearing the viewpoints from "the other side"

Old 02-09-2017, 06:02 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,734,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, I'm sure you could...

In reality, dominant sports teams have always been disliked. That's the nature of competition - all eyes are on the king of the hill. The Cowboys may have been America's Team, and even the most popular team, but they were the most disliked, too (to some extent still, but it's hard to muster too much dislike for a team that never really does anything any more).

Ditto the Yankees dynasties. Ditto the Celtics of old. Ditto Manchester United more recently. And need I mention the Soviet Olympic juggernaut that always won the overall medal count? Let's face it - the reason few people can muster loathing for teams like the Detroit Lions and Houston Astros and Denver Nuggets is that no one envies them. No one wishes they were the local team. No one cares.

And that's ultimately what is at the hate of sports dynasties - wishing that those guys were our guys. It's an admiration that can never be expressed.

This is about sports and the psychological inclinations of sports fans. It doesn't have squat to do with what you think is 'wrong with our country'.

Note: I admire what the Patriots do. The sustained success of dynasties generally impresses me.

So you think Tom Brady, a senior at Michigan in 1999, somehow influenced the NFL to institute what is commonly known as the 'tuck rule'? Because that's when it was implemented. It was being called and enforced before the 2001 AFC Championship Game, you know - in fact, the Patriots had the call go against them during the regular season that year (a Testevarde 'fumble' that was called - correctly, because calls aren't dependent on whether or not you or I like the rule in question - an incomplete pass, negating a Patriots fumble recovery).

If you dislike Tom Brady for a rule with which he had absolutely no role in creating, then you are really reaching.
I think many people believe this. That tuck rule was rescinded in 2013. The applicable rule now reads,
Quote:
Item 2. Passer Tucks Ball. If the player loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, or if the player loses possession after he has tucked the ball into his body, it is a fumble.
IMO, BTW, the Raiders got hosed by that Tuck Rule Game ruling. The Raiders would've won that game, and would've won the Super Bowl.

Edit, added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The point of my O.P. is a curiosity as to the reasons. Not going to hurt my feelings nor should it to any Brady fan, but I am interested in hearing the viewpoints from "the other side"
I think it is simply human nature to be envious of success. Nothing more, nothing less. It is the human condition.

Last edited by echo7tango; 02-09-2017 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Quoted emphasis changed.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:06 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
The Patriots under Belichick are cheats, there's no getting around that or debating that. So there's a big part of the hatred for the team which spills over to Tom Brady. He's a cheat, so you can forget the greatest QB or leader of men. He's extremely skilled but lacking in character and comes across as strange. Family man? I think its a show, personally. He's got a trophy wife. Also had some odd haircuts which was reminiscent of Bruce Jenner. Yeah, he's strange.
Then this is a more personal observation but the local Pa Patriots fans are... buttheads. I'm not just talking obnoxious low self esteemband wagoners, but these( and there are few of them, thankfully) but these guys are malcontents. Guys that seem to wear being *******s as badges of honor. Then you watched the parade and many Boston fans showed no class.
My teams have done things I've been ashamed of( signing Michael Vick, Penn States scandal) and I made no excuses for them. I just don't see any integrity in Patriots fans.
Maybe hatred for the guy is too strong a word, just a complete lack of respect for him and his fans. Hey, if you don't care about any of his negatives, or the teams negatives, great. Just don't expect others to overlook them.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:10 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Brady hate and hate for the Patriots in general is a microcosm of what is wrong with our country. We've vilified success and rather than applaud it we loathe it. Success breeds contempt. If we didn't despise the wealthy so much we'd probably have a greater appreciation for what the Pats have accomplished. If we believed in rewards of one's labor like we used to perhaps we'd have a better appreciation for the Pats. If we didn't live in an era where people believed everyone should get a trophy...

I could go on.
>>>> Its just the opposite. We've put success as the only measure of worth and it no longer matters how its achieved. If you get rewarded and succeed, you've automatically earned it and are deserving of praise and admiration.
meh.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The Patriots under Belichick are cheats, there's no getting around that or debating that. So there's a big part of the hatred for the team which spills over to Tom Brady. He's a cheat, so you can forget the greatest QB or leader of men. He's extremely skilled but lacking in character and comes across as strange. Family man? I think its a show, personally. He's got a trophy wife. Also had some odd haircuts which was reminiscent of Bruce Jenner. Yeah, he's strange.
Then this is a more personal observation but the local Pa Patriots fans are... buttheads. I'm not just talking obnoxious low self esteemband wagoners, but these( and there are few of them, thankfully) but these guys are malcontents. Guys that seem to wear being *******s as badges of honor. Then you watched the parade and many Boston fans showed no class.
My teams have done things I've been ashamed of( signing Michael Vick, Penn States scandal) and I made no excuses for them. I just don't see any integrity in Patriots fans.
Maybe hatred for the guy is too strong a word, just a complete lack of respect for him and his fans. Hey, if you don't care about any of his negatives, or the teams negatives, great. Just don't expect others to overlook them.
Even on the Patriots side of the fence, I think many other fan bases are equally obnoxious. , but it's hard as a fan with the Pats ridiculous ownership of the AFC couple with the other teams successes over the Brady period not to have an expanded chest. Lots of championships will do that to you.

And IMO, myself and many others (fans and experts) think the cheating thing is HIGHLY debatable.

To assume his marriage is a dog and pony show made me chuckle. I mean who is who's trophy? If you base it on money, Tom is Gisele's trophy as she makes more money, and her field is nearly as great as Brady is to the NFL. I don't think power couples can ever have one side be a trophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football