Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 07:48 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

Shocking to me that that anyone would put Eli in this discussion as an honorable mention. I'm a big fan of rings being the tie breaker but Eli isn't anywhere close to the discussion to warrant a tie breaker IMO.

As a Redskins fan I have mad respect for Roger Staubach, that guy was incredible especially at crunch time. He never seems to get the love he deserves IMO yet people put players like Eli ahead of him and that's weird to me.

My list, in order:

Tom Brady
Joe Montana
John Elway
Johnny Unitas
Peyton Manning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

As a Redskins fan I have mad respect for Roger Staubach, that guy was incredible especially at crunch time. He never seems to get the love he deserves IMO yet people put players like Eli ahead of him and that's weird to me.

My list, in order:

Tom Brady
Joe Montana
John Elway
Johnny Unitas
Peyton Manning

It's a short list of NFL quarterbacks who have won two super bowls and also a Heisman Trophy. How about a list of two? That's Staubach and Jim Plunkett. When I think of the "what if's" I think of Staubach. What if:

He had played for someone other than Navy. He didn't join the Cowboys until 1969, finally was named starter in 1971. He was 28 years old when he joined up with the Cowboys.

Jackie Smith would have caught that ball in the end zone against the Steelers in Super Bowl XIII.

He hadn't retired a year, maybe two years early because of the concussions he had in the last few seasons of his career. Various articles on the net have him with as many as 20 concussions.

Solid top 5 list Dave!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-10-2017 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Peyton,Brady,Montana,Rodger Staubach,Dan Marino............if I can only choose five?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
A Rog ...
his TD to INT ratio will be the best of all time and he'll be at the top of the list for overall % probably.

He'll reach 300 TDs this year, with well under 100 INTs, something the rest of the great QBs haven't done.
This is a very notable accomplishment and one reason I hold Eli Manning in such low regard. Unfortunately this is not a stat that is looked at as real important by the "experts" but in terms of giving your team a chance to win it is huge!

The P. Manning parallel is pretty telling also. During Manning's Colts days he was the team. I think the GB FO has not done a good job putting enough of the right talent around AR but that is also a reflection of not getting many (any?) high round picks the last decade. Belichick does it for NE but that is an either an anomaly or a reflection of a superior program and coaching. (The longer they do it you'd have to rule out the anomaly thingy).

Old 07-10-2017, 01:11 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Shocking to me that that anyone would put Eli in this discussion as an honorable mention. I'm a big fan of rings being the tie breaker but Eli isn't anywhere close to the discussion to warrant a tie breaker IMO.

My list, in order:

Tom Brady
Joe Montana
John Elway
Johnny Unitas
Peyton Manning
While I understand your point someone put Michael Vick in so yeah I'd take Eli in a heart beat over Vick.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
While I understand your point someone put Michael Vick in so yeah I'd take Eli in a heart beat over Vick.

Well now that is beyond ridiculous. But just because someone for whatever reason felt the need to put Michael Vick on the list does not mean Eli belongs in the company of Joe Montana and Tom Brady.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:28 PM

OK I had to go back and look at some of the posts after reading Michael Vick was on one list. The All Time Greatest list is not about a guy who had 3 years where DCs had to game plan for his running ability. That is simply crazy.

I am a huge Russell Wilson fan, I defend him when arguing with fans who don't even consider him a top QB. But again to put him in the company of Tom Brady while bypassing players like Peyton Manning? Those posters putting these 2 players on any all time list should have their Sunday Ticket revoked as they clearly do not understand pro football.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I liked Russell when he was playing for the Badgers but something about him now gets on my nerves pretty quick.

However, he should be in a conversation for a top QB but he is not up there with Brady, Rodgers, or Peyton.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:53 PM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
Quote:
OK I had to go back and look at some of the posts after reading Michael Vick was on one list. The All Time Greatest list is not about a guy who had 3 years where DCs had to game plan for his running ability. That is simply crazy.

I am a huge Russell Wilson fan, I defend him when arguing with fans who don't even consider him a top QB. But again to put him in the company of Tom Brady while bypassing players like Peyton Manning? Those posters putting these 2 players on any all time list should have their Sunday Ticket revoked as they clearly do not understand pro football.
People want to be contrarians for attention sakes- I don't believe for a second they actually believe the likes of Russell Wilson, Vick, etc... are in the top 5 of all-time. That's opposed to the conglomerate who REALLY do believe someone such as Terry Bradshaw is top 5, which is still some what far removed from being comprehensible.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Sonny Crockett is the greatest fictional QB that never made it to the big time. This much I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football