Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 PM

214 posts, read 871,706 times

Advertisements

i think the nfl would be a good fit in salt lake city utah, and yes people would go to the games on sunday as well on monday. if utah can support having the utah jazz,utah blaze and real salt lake, salt lake city can support a nfl team. we can all say thank you to governor jon huntsman who save real salt lake from the team leaving utah you just have a few tight wad people who feel like building a nice sports stadium is not good enough but i think msl will get better over the next's few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:15 PM

394 posts, read 1,006,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio
2. L.A.
3. Las Vegas
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto
5. Columbus, OH
6. Austin
7. Louisville,KY
8. Orlando, FL
9. Portland, OR
10. Oklahoma City
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
the nfl requires larger markets than say the nba or nhl. i'm thinking an absolute minimum of 2 to 2 1/2 million people. that eliminates most of the cities on this list except.....
l.a.: obviously big enough but will they support them. on the other hand how can you not have a team in the 2nd largest market????
toronto: easily big enough. probably way overdue
portland probably big enough. big time football country
las vegas: maybe not big enough yet , but they will be soon. i don't see the nfl ever putting a team there though
san antonio: only if it combined s.a. with austin...too small by itself.

Last edited by scootertrash61; 11-27-2007 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: forgot one

Old 11-27-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCoop21 View Post
Shoot--why not Boise, ID? California & Texas should not even be considered for another sports team until other places have been given a chance, IMO.
why not boise ???? too small for the nba....WAYYYYYYYY TOO SMALL FOR THE NFL

Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM

[quote=ColdCanadian;196956]Is the Green Bay area really that big? If not, then how did they get a team?[/QUOTE

grandfathered....one of the nfl's oldest teams. also the city actually owns the team

Old 11-27-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
The Superbowl XL Champions Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to move to Vegas it the next decade, being that The City of Pittsburgh is losing over 50,000 people a year. However the 300,000+ that are left in Pittsburgh would probably disagree with this. The only reason the team hasnt left yet, is the impact on the community, the history the team has presented Pittsburgh with, and the strong, loyal, healthy fan base. GO Steelers
i don't live in or know pittsburg, but iam a distant relative of the rooney family and i just don't see the steelers ever moving as long as the rooneys own the team.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM

i see people on this site saying football shouldn't be played in the south because it's a cold weather sport. GET REAL i'm no great defender of texas , but texas is maniacal agout their football, especially highschool ball. i don't think any other state in the country even compares to texas when it comes to supporting high scool football. "friday night lights ring a bell"????

Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM

262 posts, read 299,729 times
Quote:
i see people on this site saying football shouldn't be played in the south because it's a cold weather sport. GET REAL i'm no great defender of texas , but texas is maniacal agout their football, especially highschool ball. i don't think any other state in the country even compares to texas when it comes to supporting high scool football. "friday night lights ring a bell"????
I like that totaly agree with you
rep point^

Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
Yeah, where did that come from....as if I don't know (Northerners/Midwesterners). Texas is a football state. Period. Southern football is king. Do they have the Big 12 and SEC up north? Was Friday Night Lights about a team in Ohio? I don't think so.

Anyway, back to the thread.....
L.A. , Toronto, San Antone, and Vegas are big contenders (except maybe L.A., they can't keep a team) and Portland probably could support a team, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

As for the SLC..... Utah, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, and Wyomming.... Broncos country. So I don't think Utah could support a team.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 AM

214 posts, read 871,706 times
Default slc is more radiers and 49ers nation

slc is more radiers and 49ers nation last time i was living in slc.....and it can support a team stop bashing on slc last time i check it did host the 2002 winter game has portland ever held a the summer or winter games i don't think so. takes notes and do more re-search people.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 AM

201 posts, read 905,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
the nfl requires larger markets than say the nba or nhl. i'm thinking an absolute minimum of 2 to 2 1/2 million people. that eliminates most of the cities on this list except.....
l.a.: obviously big enough but will they support them. on the other hand how can you not have a team in the 2nd largest market????
toronto: easily big enough. probably way overdue
portland probably big enough. big time football country
las vegas: maybe not big enough yet , but they will be soon. i don't see the nfl ever putting a team there though
san antonio: only if it combined s.a. with austin...too small by itself.

Actually, the NFL doesnt require so much population, as it does corporate presence. Remember, NFL games are one day a week, people will travel a long distance to go to them. You could place an NFL stadium in the middle of the state, and consider the whole state, and probably pieces of the surrounding states your market. Two great examples of this are the Minnesota Vikings and Washington Redskins. The Vikings pretty much cut a swath from inside WI Packer country, through IA, and out through the Dakotas. The Redskins have a huge rabid fan base that attends games all the way out to West Virginia, and down to Northern North Carolina.

The problem is the corporate presence. Corporations arent interested in buying advertising and licensed seats and luxury boxes at a place 100 miles away. This makes places like the frequently mentioned Virginia Beach metro area, a terrible place to put a team even if they could build a stadium.

Also, San Antonio is plenty big enough to support a football team. Its actually the biggest city, population wise, without a professional football team outside of LA, and many cities with a much smaller population base have a team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football