Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
You're right about that. If media market size was a factor then Jacksonville never would have been given a team. That move was totally political. Jax had the connections with the league that San Antonio simply did not have at that time. It's a little different now though. Goodell, who was in San Antonio last fall, is well aware of SA's NFL aspirations.
I'd go as far as to say that San Antonio or Los Angeles WILL have a team by the end of this up comming decade. As much as I like Jacksonville, I don't see them keeping the Jaguars that much longer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I don't mind another NFL team as long as it's a relocation. I don't care to see expansion and I think 99% of NFL fans agree with me on that.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:07 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Spade brings up a good point. The NFL has to take a look closely to see what areas would be a good fit. I think all of us can agree that due to this depression, er, recession, we are in, that there probably won't be much talk on new teams, but likely relocations. Maybe after the dust settles, they can take a look at expansion but look at it carefully.

Good idea for a vote poll, though, Spade!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:32 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Spade brings up a good point. The NFL has to take a look closely to see what areas would be a good fit. I think all of us can agree that due to this depression, er, recession, we are in, that there probably won't be much talk on new teams, but likely relocations. Maybe after the dust settles, they can take a look at expansion but look at it carefully.

Good idea for a vote poll, though, Spade!
That is a good point.

And ya know what.... I don't see the NFL expanding, either. Even when we do get out of this recession.
32 teams just feels..... right.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 AM

For sure, from a scheduling standpoint. I'm not sure what is going on with Jacksonville, I read a post somewhere that their franchise has problems with the city and might move. I'll have to research that one. In Buffalo, I DO know that things are contentious on the stadium issue, and that they are playing some of their games down the road in Toronto. I'm an AFL fan from day one, and that is REALLY going to pain me if that happens.

When the NFL DOES decide to expand, it would be good to take a hard look at the city that is lobbying for the franchise. How is their economy now and where do they project it five years from now? Is it a one horse economy? As certainly a new stadium will be built, will the citizens buy into taxpayer funding? If those questions are answered, then expansion will be a go. But not for the next few years anyway. The country's economy is just too screwed up right now to jump into expansion, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,806 times
You're wrong about San Antonio anyway. The city and most of Texas has managed to avoid the worst of the economic downturn the rest of the country has faced. San Antonio in particular has done exceptionally well during this period. Adding jobs in droves in all sectors of the local economy and with a great forecast San Antonio would be an ideal place for an NFL team. Even as the rest of the country suffers through hard times. League officials are aware of this scenario here and will take it into consideration come expansion or relocation time.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
You're wrong about San Antonio anyway. The city and most of Texas has managed to avoid the worst of the economic downturn the rest of the country has faced. San Antonio in particular has done exceptionally well during this period. Adding jobs in droves in all sectors of the local economy and with a great forecast San Antonio would be an ideal place for an NFL team. Even as the rest of the country suffers through hard times. League officials are aware of this scenario here and will take it into consideration come expansion or relocation time.
Not sure if you're talking to me, but I don't discount San Antonio. I done a little digging, and you're your area thankfully is doing better than most parts of the nation. 2.2 million certainly is a big enough area. Who in your area can make an expansion team happen here? Who's got the $$?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:14 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Not sure if you're talking to me, but I don't discount San Antonio. I done a little digging, and you're your area thankfully is doing better than most parts of the nation. 2.2 million certainly is a big enough area. Who in your area can make an expansion team happen here? Who's got the $$?
Good question. Red McCombs comes to mind first. He's a former owner and has the cash to make it happen. Or close to it. Also any of the big cheeses at any of the local F500 companies in town. Like maybe the chairmen of Valero or Clear Channel Communications. Or it could be an outside business man or consortium that could bankroll a team here. Just thinking of ideas.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 PM

167 posts, read 435,029 times
LA had two teams but the owners are who decided to leave. Not many people in LA proper cared about the rams when they left but raiders surely had a following and it's not that angelenos dont want a team its that the city council wont build a stadium with tax money. If the city had build a new stadium in the 80s or 90s the raiders never would've left

Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 PM

167 posts, read 435,029 times
yeah I think that jax is going to move in the next 5 years... hopefully to LA. How does the LA Sharks sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football