Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 05:21 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,384,997 times

Advertisements

Chicago is so into the Bears.... I can't see another franchise making it there. Even if the population appears to justify it.

Bring back the Cards!!! My Dad was a Cardinal fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,028,593 times
I really think San Antonio should have an NFL team. The people in that city are incredibly supportive of their NBA franchise and I think they would be equally enthusiastic about having an NFL team. Florida, New York, and California already have 3 teams so why not? Even though LA doesn't seem to be able to keep a team it's a shame they don't have one since they are the second largest city in the country.
Portland, Oregon might work (about 2 million in the metro and already have an NBA franchise). Las Vegas might be a good place for another one (about 1.8 million metro). Other cities/metros that would be large enough to support a team get a lot slimmer after Vegas. Someone mentioned Birmingham and Oklahoma City earlier (about 1.2 million metro in each). Those two might work since football is so huge in the south and in the state of Oklahoma.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 AM

7 posts, read 20,052 times
The Birmingham 'Bamas! LOL

Old 08-14-2009, 01:30 AM

...and hailing from Mississippi.. the Jackson Jethro's!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 AM

I don't think that it seriously has to be a huge metro area in order to have a team. I think that a city like Baton Rouge would do great with an NFL team.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnfl View Post
I think that a city like Baton Rouge would do great with an NFL team.
I am going to assume you are kidding.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 PM

63 posts, read 169,682 times
Baton Rouge is 1 hour from New Orleans. Way too close and Baton Rouge is way too small. Remember when the Saints played at Tiger Stadium in 2005? Empty seats everywhere...

Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared422 View Post
Baton Rouge is 1 hour from New Orleans. Way too close and Baton Rouge is way too small. Remember when the Saints played at Tiger Stadium in 2005? Empty seats everywhere...
Contrast that with the sellouts at the Alamodome that same year. The NFL will be in San Antonio.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnfl View Post
I don't think that it seriously has to be a huge metro area in order to have a team. I think that a city like Baton Rouge would do great with an NFL team.
The original NFL had a team in Sheboygan (Green Bay being the sole survivor of those days when "market size" was not a determining factor in the placement of franchises).

So, declaring it to be Historically Appropriate, I'll second your nomination of Baton Rouge. And go one step further, proposing Great Falls, Montana--for the very excellent reason that there isn't an NFL team within many, many miles of that part of the country.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 PM

63 posts, read 169,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Contrast that with the sellouts at the Alamodome that same year. The NFL will be in San Antonio.
Did San Antonio have trouble selling out those games? I seem to recall Tom Benson Auto and/or AT&T having to buy tickets (and give them away for free) to ensure a sellout for the Falcons game.

I still think the most feasible city for an NFL team to go to is Los Angeles. I know the previous two teams didn't work out well, but if done right (a NEW world-class stadium would go a long way), they could be very successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football