Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Super Bowl is the most watched event in the world.
As a pesky former European...

Super Bowl Audience Saints v Colts 106M international viewers.

FIFA World Cup Final Spain v Netherlands 700M international viewers (although estimates are as high as 1.75B through unofficial rebroadcasts and pirated viewing). This is a four yearly event (so may be arguably not comparable with the Super Bowl)

England FA Cup Final Arsenal v Man Utd (2005). 484M international viewers (this is an annual event so is comparable with Super Bowl) I don't have figures for 2006 onwards.

FIA Formula 1 World Championship, average race viewing figures, 520M per live broadcast race in 2009 (the FIA does not release viewing figures for individual races) this is down 13% on the previous year. So F1 beats Superbowl every live broadcast (of which there are 19 this season) by at least 4-5 times the international viewing figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,599 times
only problem there... soccer is boring, regardless of viewership.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
As a pesky former European...

Super Bowl Audience Saints v Colts 106M international viewers.

FIFA World Cup Final Spain v Netherlands 700M international viewers (although estimates are as high as 1.75B through unofficial rebroadcasts and pirated viewing). This is a four yearly event (so may be arguably not comparable with the Super Bowl)

England FA Cup Final Arsenal v Man Utd (2005). 484M international viewers (this is an annual event so is comparable with Super Bowl) I don't have figures for 2006 onwards.

FIA Formula 1 World Championship, average race viewing figures, 520M per live broadcast race in 2009 (the FIA does not release viewing figures for individual races) this is down 13% on the previous year. So F1 beats Superbowl every live broadcast (of which there are 19 this season) by at least 4-5 times the international viewing figures.
Very interesting post Gungnir. I'd be interested to know how popular amateur sports are in Europe. With college football being so incredibly popular here I wonder if there is an equivalent on the Continent.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Please oh PLEASE don't start talking about soccer here....

(Oh and just a correction on my last post.... Utah does have ONE non-college team that's pretty big. The Jazz..... Other than that, I stand by what I said)

Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Oh, and dude, the NFL is the most popular in America when it comes to PRO sports. COLLEGE football is the most popular sport in this country. It's been like that ever since the creation of the sport. Period.
It depends on where you live. In the Northeast, college football doesn't come close in popularity to the NFL or even baseball. In the south, its college football and NASCAR.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:

Go to Alabama.... Go to Knoxville... Go to South Carolina, Utah, Nebraska, Mississippi, West Virginia, Iowa.... Go to AUSTIN.
Alabama, Knoxville, West Virginia and the rest of those are not major league sized cities, but they happen to have colleges, so of course college teams will be big there. That doesn't mean that college football is bigger than the NFL everywhere...just in backwater places that have college teams but no pro teams.

Go to Pittsburgh and see who's bigger, the Steelers or the Pitt Panthers and Penn State. Go to North Jersey and see if people care more about Rutgers than the Giants or Jets.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
It depends on where you live. In the Northeast, college football doesn't come close in popularity to the NFL or even baseball. In the south, its college football and NASCAR.
Well no offense, but the Northeast is just one part of an entire country. And we all know that college football isn't nearly as big there as it is in the rest of America, but it's still debatable to say which is more popular. And as far as the rest of the country goes, I still say college football is overall more popular than the NFL, regardless of where you are.

And cities and towns don't matter that much. I know Angelinos who could care less about having an NFL team there since "USC is L.A.'s team". There are alot more Florida Gators fans in Jacksonville than than Jaguar fans. Not really sure about Seattle, but it wouldn't surprise me if UW was bigger than the Seahawks (historically).

Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Very interesting post Gungnir. I'd be interested to know how popular amateur sports are in Europe. With college football being so incredibly popular here I wonder if there is an equivalent on the Continent.
Nope, not even semi-pro and minor professional leagues the notable exception of the annual Oxford-Cambridge boat race.

Quote:
Please oh PLEASE don't start talking about soccer here....
Was just correcting a misconception, that you originally drew attention to . Per event the most popular sport isn't even soccer, it's the Formula 1 World Championship (since there are only 19 or so events, not the thousands of soccer matches).

You may now return to your scheduled programming.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Was just correcting a misconception, that you originally drew attention to .

You may now return to your scheduled programming.
Yeah I know, that's why I said said that.

I have to constantly be reminded by some people (*cough* BRITS *cough*) that the Super Bowl is NOT the most watched sporting event in the world.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:19 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
It's not debateable at all when you look at population #s - not even close

In Mpls who do you think is more popular, the gophers or Vikings? In KC do people go out for the chiefs or KU, K-State or Mizzou? Even in a place like texas where the longhorns are super popular, the Cowboys rule the day

The vast majority of NFL teams wouldn't have billion dollar values if they weren't very popular nationwide

and UW is definitely not larger than the Seahawks and while northern FL you don't have a big jaguar fan base, the dolphins are so popular they rule the sports page across all sports in southern florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football