Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Los Angeles needs a football team, it has the most populated county in the United States. The fan base would be enormous, the only problem is the cost of a new football stadium. I'm tired of Los Angeles fans having to root for the Oakland Traders, while I chose the San Diego Bolts. Las Vegas is the worst place to have an NFL football team, the gambling would be outrageous, and those Vegas folks know it.
As long as L.A. taxpayers don't foot the bill, I'm all for an NFL team setting up shop in L.A. I have no problems with an NFL team in Vegas either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 02:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Football and hockey just shouldnt exist south of the Mason-Dixon, thats just wrong. LOL

Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Default Either way

If LA were to get a team, we will pay for it. Raising property taxes or high ticket prices with high concessions attached. For awhile there in Jan. '07, the news reports a financier wanted to tear down a large section of a suburb in LA and make this megaplex venue if the commision did elect them for a team. It would mean many would be offered fair market value for our dream to bring a team here. Hmmmmmm

Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Football and hockey just shouldnt exist south of the Mason-Dixon, thats just wrong. LOL
Hockey, maybe, but there's nothin' like football in the south. Taking football out of the south is just like demolishing the Sears Tower.

But seriously, I wouldn't really mind if all the southern NHL teams went up north where they belong. But if that were to really happen, the Dallas Stars would go noooooo where.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:28 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Interesting thread. In no particular order:

LA
Las Vegas
Portland
Salt Lake City
Orlando (but note that Florida already has 3 NFL teams).
Toronto (but would fans support it?)
Columbus
Oklahoma City (is it large enough?)

BTW, for those of you who want to have an NFL team...there's an NFL-like team in Detroit that we'd like to kick out of town and ship to you. How about the L.A. Lions? Why not?

Maybe this year will be the year that the team finally starts to turn the corner. Now if only the owner of the team would just do the right thing and Fire Millen!

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 03-25-2007 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-26-2007, 08:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
San Antonio proved it could support a team when it hosted the Saints... but as others have said, I don't think the Texans or Cowboys would stand for it.

I'd be curious to hear what LA-area people feel about football returning. It seems like they survived without it yet there's always some report out about possible stadium renovations and sites.

Vegas will get a pro team; you just won't be able to bet on the games.

Toronto would be interesting though the overlapping CFL Argonauts schedule might complicate things. Why not throw Calgary in that mix too?

Columbus would be even more insane on fall weekends if the NFL came. And that's assuming the Browns and Bengals would let that slide. Same deal with Austin and the other TX teams.

With all due respect to Louisville, I feel it's too small a market for the NFL.

Tampa's too close for Orlando to work, IMO.

Portland! Most definitely.

If OKC can host the NO Hornets, maybe they could do the same for an NFL team.

Of course, all the above is assuming that a team is being relocated. I agree that the NFL has enough if even too many teams.
Louisville is the same size as Nashville, Jacksonville, and New Orleans. Its about 10 times bigger than Green Bay. Nashville is slightly larger metro wise but has two pro teams. Louisville would easily support the NFL. However, it wont happen for one main reason--the Brown family, who owns the Bengals, would not allow a competing team so close. Plus a good Louisville team could steal support from Cincy's NKY suburbs. Also, Louisville would most likely steal most of S Indiana from the Colts. Louisville has several large suburbs in Indiana. Louisville has flirted with NBA teams but ultimately doesn't have the new arena they want, but a new arena downtown will open in 2010 that will be one of the nicest in the nation. Its main tenant will be UofL. Louisville's pro sport is the university, much like OSU in Columbus.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:02 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm surprised no one's said Cleveland.

And before everyone freaks out, yes, I'm a longtime Browns fan ...

Go Browns!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default ..

An NFL team in Omaha would work as Lincoln, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Iowa city and Sioux City are close by, however, the fact that Husker stadium (Memorial Stadium) holds 85,000+ and sells out every week with high pricing and is sold out years in advance is something that should signal the fact that it would work, but it may hurt the Huskers attendance... In a way I would like to see it, but in a way, I don't... I love my Huskers..

Old 04-03-2007, 11:19 AM

10 posts, read 29,629 times
ColdCanadian is fairly correct. The CFL isn't very popular at all. In fact it's delt with being on the edge of bankruptcy numerous times before. Primarily because the quality of play is horrible. It's usually between highschool football and NCAA levels although it can be as bad as arena football if everything goes wrong.

That's not to say there aren't fans here. There are literally THOUSANDS of NFL fans that make the trip to Detriot or Buffalo to see a game and whenever the league is in town for an exhibition match they fill Skydome (I refuse to call it Rogers Center) and turn other untold thousands away at the box office.

There definately wouldn't be a loss in interest so long as a good team was put on the field. The reason interest in the Raptors has phased is because they were a losing team for years and years. Now theyre 3rd best in the East and voila, the fans are back.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
The Superbowl XL Champions Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to move to Vegas it the next decade, being that The City of Pittsburgh is losing over 50,000 people a year. However the 300,000+ that are left in Pittsburgh would probably disagree with this. The only reason the team hasnt left yet, is the impact on the community, the history the team has presented Pittsburgh with, and the strong, loyal, healthy fan base. GO Steelers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football