Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:28 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,046,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Please take that sh*t to the POCs threads...
So you agree with me that a sporting event is no place for politics, because that is what I was inferring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 11:10 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,010,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
The NFL is simply losing popularity. Television ratings and attendance are down.
Eh, this is a GREAT thing for us the fans, the true fans of the NFL. I'm more into the NFL than ever. So what if popularity amongst the fringe masses takes a dip? "Waning popularity" allowed me to buy $45 lower level tickets to the Rams v Washington DC Football Team (lol) this Sunday. Works for me. I'm looking forward to an interesting season.

The NFL owners have been too cocky for too long, hopefully we can bring them down a few notches. When things get too popular, they get too pricey.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:26 AM

8,773 posts, read 10,180,688 times
Nothing wrong with two LA teams, in fact it would have eventually happened one way or another. I agree with others that it should have been the Raiders and not the Chargers but what is done is done.

However, there is a lot to do and see in Los Angeles and surrounding. Watching two teams that are, non-compelling lets say, is probably not going to be high on a lot of lists. This isn't like say Omaha getting a team and the novelty of having a team lasts for a few years.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:14 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,457,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
This is going to happen more around the NFL, simply because watching on TV (whether at home or at a bar) is a great experience. It definitely beats being in most parts of an NFL stadium.
Definitely true, for me. My Sunday now will consist of RedZone and doodling with my two new fantasy squads. Who knew? Why would I hop on the MetroRail and head to Reliant, dodging smelly bums in the process, when I can relax?

Old 09-16-2017, 08:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,758,947 times
Hmm, tonights USC-Texas game has sold out the Coliseum. Perhaps SoCal is still in college football mode...I wouldn't blame them as this has been their daily diet for the past 20+ years.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:22 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,798,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
So you agree with me that a sporting event is no place for politics, because that is what I was inferring?
I don't agree with you at all. For anyone to think that whatever belief they personally have is the sole reason for ratings being down is pretty self-centered.

Believe it or not, politics have ALWAYS been in major pro sports. How do you think people felt when they were desegregating rosters...?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:26 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,141,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Hmm, tonights USC-Texas game has sold out the Coliseum. Perhaps SoCal is still in college football mode...I wouldn't blame them as this has been their daily diet for the past 20+ years.
USC has played in LA cotinously for over 100 years, has been loyal to the city, and has deep roots in the city. They deserve that level of support. The Rams and Chargers dont. They left the city and have only been back a little over a year. They need to earn that bond. They dont deserve it blindly and unconditionally yet.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,798,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
USC has played in LA cotinously for over 100 years, has been loyal to the city, and has deep roots in the city. They deserve that level of support. The Rams and Chargers dont. They left the city and have only been back a little over a year. They need to earn that bond. They dont deserve it blindly and unconditionally yet.
Well the Rams had their 50th season in L.A. last year, believe it or not.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:15 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,141,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well the Rams had their 50th season in L.A. last year, believe it or not.
Yes but they spent 21 years somewhere else. That will kill any bond.

It will take time to get that back.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:44 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,758,947 times
I agree with Illusive here. SoCal still loves USC, and the fact that there were no pro teams for 20+ years probably makes a difference. Yes, the tradition of a college is important, but seriously, they are not going to move, nor could they.

I think the Rams could get it back, but as mentioned it will take some time.

As for the Chargers, good luck. If they are comfortable being the 2nd team in LA, then so be it. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have stayed in San Diego. (IMO the Chargers were insulted by the vote to not build a new stadium and reacted too quickly, but what do I know?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football