Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:10 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Alejandro standing for the anthem by himself is a profile in courage.
He is already backpedaling.

The team had agreed, at least at first, to stay in the tunnel during the anthem.

“Unfortunately I threw my teammates under the bus, unintentionally,” Villanueva said. “Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself I feel embarrassed.”

Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva on standing for anthem: 'I made my teammates look bad' | Fox News

Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,675 times
I figure his jersey sales will hold steady anyway because: 1) a lot of people rushing out to buy them can't read; and 2) the ones who can might just see "threw my teammates under the bus" and think, "Hell yeah, you did! Ran 'em right over, hoss! MAGA!"

Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Good for him. Was proud of him for his service before and even more so now.

These athletes need to understand they're here at the fans pleasure, not because they've done anything great in their life (for the most part) other than be an exceptional athlete. Hell, several of them are pretty much scum (I'm looking at you Mixon). You turn off the fans, which they have with double digit declines in viewership YoY so far, and the money will start drying up and owners won't sign you in the future. It's a business, to make money, not promote your political agenda. I will guarantee you that any owner in the league today will 100% not sign a player he feels will hurt his brand or the earning potential of that brand, and smartly so.

As far as the protests go, feel free to lock arms and stand in solidarity, I 100% can get onboard with that and respect it but this kneeling for the flag will absolutely get my tv turned off like it has been all weekend.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:30 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

The team had agreed, at least at first, to stay in the tunnel during the anthem.

“Unfortunately I threw my teammates under the bus, unintentionally,” Villanueva said. “Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself I feel embarrassed.”

Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva on standing for anthem: 'I made my teammates look bad' | Fox News
Dude is humble and does not want the attention. Makes me like him even more.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Dude is humble and does not want the attention. Makes me like him even more.
The coach probably gave him a lecture and he backtracked quickly.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:11 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
The coach probably gave him a lecture and he backtracked quickly.
I'm thinking this is what may have happened because it made Tomlin look bad. Tomlin says he is "protecting his players".... What a joke.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm thinking this is what may have happened because it made Tomlin look bad. Tomlin says he is "protecting his players".... What a joke.
At the end of the day, all these football players are MEN who should be able to decide what they want to do or not. If you want to stand, stand, if you want to sit, sit, if you want to kneel, kneel, etc.

Not sure why people would want to kneel since IMO kneeling is given submission to another. I would rather stand and not put my hand on my chest.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:

I'm more in the Tomlin camp but I think Alejandro sincerely feels he may have caused unintended consequences for his teammates and he does not want to break the locker room up. I think neither side did anything wrong FWIW.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Tomlin guilted/threated the player to say that. May have even threatened to cut him from the team. The team probably came down on him too. Interesting that everyone should respect a players right to protest, but a played tthat doesnt conform and doesnt protest, follows the NFL rule, he gets hammered. I grow to hate liberalism more every day.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:37 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
This is the problem we have now....we have him (Villanueva) apologizing for standing for the anthem which is so wrong! I tweeted this last night, but what's great about our country is our free speech which gives people the right to stand, sit, kneel, crawl, burp, fart, or sleep through the anthem, really I don't give a $%^k what people do during the anthem, it's their right to do what they want to do, and I'm still going to watch football & all sports even if Joe Flacco drops his pants and moons the flag during the anthem. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about it! Can't I just watch my football & baseball & basketball & hockey & soccer in peace please??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football