Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 PM

939 posts, read 505,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
How does the AFC look "weak" in comparison to the NFC???

Outside of Philly you think there is a dominant team in the NFC??

Arguably the 2 best teams in the NFC right now Philly and New Orleans have both lost to AFC teams this season..

The Rams??? Out of their 6 wins only 2 came against teams with a winning record...

All the teams have warts.....the most complete team is Philly....

I would bet on the Final Four being New England Pittsburgh Philly and New Orleans/Seattle

In the end it usually comes down to the best QB standing which means Brady, Wilson, Brees and Roth in that order for me....
Not overly impressed with New England or Pittsburgh most weeks. What I have seen from New Orleans and Philly the past month has been more consistently impressive. The Saints are a far better team, especially defensively when they easily were beaten by the Patriots week 2. And if I'm weighing the Rams against the Chiefs at this point as each conference's 3rd best, and the NFC current wild cards- at least without question, Dallas, vs AFC Willard contenders, that's a no brainier that favors the NFC as well.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Buffalo and Tennessee should be the wildcards. Nobody behind them has the clout nor the advantageous schedule to make up multiple games in the standings in the AFC. The Ravens seem incapable, the Jets are competitive, but dug themselves into too much of a hole due to the three game losing streak- all games they easily could have won. The Raiders have a very difficult schedule, and the Dolphins are the biggest joke and farce of a 4-4 team imaginable.
I hope you are right because I'm not totally confident the Bills can manage better than a 9-7 record, which would require a 4-4 finishing. But if the other wild card contenders can't do better than 8-8 maybe it won't matter.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I hope you are right because I'm not totally confident the Bills can manage better than a 9-7 record, which would require a 4-4 finishing. But if the other wild card contenders can't do better than 8-8 maybe it won't matter.
Hence some of why the AFC seems weak compared to the NFC. Call it "backing in" if one may, but every other wildcard contender in the AFC, it seems hard to believe any can be better than.500. I think the Bills get to 9-7 at worst, based on its remaining schedule. This is an odd year, where the playoff picture seems pretty clear cut and dry just 9 weeks in.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:55 AM

Bills remaining schedule is actually pretty tough. Saints (I'd there a hotter team currently), Patriots twice, Chiefs at Arrowhead, and Chargers in L.A. only likely wins are Miami twice and Colts. But Bills could easily split with Miami since those are divisional games.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM

I like Buffalo to win at least 9, which should be enough. Indy, Miami once for sure. Between Miami a second time and LA, I think Buffalo will be good. I also do not discount week 17 games being easier, if the opponent is so good, they may well have no incentive and rests players. Speaking of schedules, I might have overlooked Detroit. Definitely could get in, and even win the division. The Lions are a 'meh' type of team, but they have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:31 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think you need a 'bubble' vs an in and out.

I disagree about the Rams. They might get in.. Don't get me wrong, but I'm not giving it to them yet. The only quality win they have is over Dallas. Outside of that.. They've beaten teams that are a combined 9-21

That being said.. Their upcoming games are against teams that are a combined 29-30 and two of those teams are without their starting QBs.

They may very well make it.. I said that they wouldn't a few weeks ago before Arizona and Houston's QB situations developed.

Not to mention.. You've completely left Dallas off. If we take your division winners as NO, Minnesota, Philly and Seattle.. That leaves 4 teams fighting for 2 WC spots.. Being Dallas, Rams, Carolina and Atlanta.

Should the Rams make it.. Quick exit. They're not a playoff quality team, they just have the leagues easiest schedule.

Oh, there's Dallas.. Sorry, never saw them..
Have you seen the Rams play?? They are the real deal, it's not who they have beaten, it is how they have beaten them. Even in their lost to the Seahawks, 5 turnovers usually mean you are getting your but kicked, but we lost only 16-10. And could've if not should've won in the last play of the game.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:19 AM

The Rams are a good team. Opponents record is a very short-sighted, and almost meaningless manner to determine how good a team is. First, when did you play somebody; enormous difference if a result vs GreenBay was with Rodgers playing. Also, one team can skew everything. An 0-9 Browns team or an unbeaten team is just one likely win or loss and counts for no more or less. Better to qualitatively look at remaining games and gage the likelihood of a win or loss rather than being duped into buying into difficulty of past and future games that might include an outlier.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 AM

Through week 10 I think the final wild card spot in the AFC will come down to Buffalo or Baltimore. Baltimore has a slightly easier schedule. Advantage Baltimore. Buffalo is one game up in the standings on Baltimore. Advantage Buffalo. Buffalo has looked like a slow train wreck the last two weeks. Advantage Baltimore.

It's not out of the question that we see an 8-8 wild card out of the AFC. I wonder when the last time was we had an 8-8 wild card from either conference?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:49 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
2004 was a bad year for some NFC teams apparently! As we know and have argued, many teams get in the playoffs by winning their division with a weak record. However, looking at 2004 at NFL.com, two 8-8 NFC teams made the playoffs. I'm sure there's others, I found those by doing a search, came up with a 25 team list of worst teams in the playoffs!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM

Baltimore is the only team in either conference clearly on the outside, but I can feasibly see making the playoffs. 8-8 is a possibility of being good enough the AFC, while I am definitely getting the sense a 10-6 NFC team will be left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football