Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 01:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I know you despise Seattle, but Seattle has a QB who is really good. They can still win the division if they win out. Destiny is in their own hands and they don't depend on anyone else at this point.
Where was destiny yesterday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 02:38 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Let's keep it all the way real. Anybody can win the NFC at this point. Who's the favorite?

--Eagles have been most consistent from Week 1 to now, but lost to a Seattle team with half a defense that everyone else has feasted on and took another loss early in the year to a playoff team in Kansas City. Obviously the biggest question is the loss of Wentz. I like Foles and he's one of the better backups around, but who is taking the Nick Foles Eagles over the other contenders? Not me!
--the Vikings are still legit but their three losses this year were to Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Detroit, hardly bastions of consistency this year. Some flaws were exposed yesterday and a blueprint was given on how to have success on that stout defense...
--Are the Rams for real or not? 9 wins this year and the only one over a current playoff team is versus Jacksonville, who is favor if they lined up at this moment. The Rams not only started slow yesterday but the gotdamn penalties and the way they finished...that game was theirs for the taking and they blew it. I think we clearly see that Wentz is better than Goff and that this is an immature team that is a year away from being a Super Bowl contender...
--Saints look like the best NFC team on oaper, but they also can't get outta their own way....
--I refuse to buy the Panthers as a legitimate championship contender. If they get in they have the gane to be a tough out. I can't see them going all the way...
--Falcons may backdoor their way into the postseason and may be the most dangerous team in the field if they get in. They can go on the road and beat any of the other teams...
--Seahawks have to win their division or they'll be out. Listen, few teams have dealt with as much injury bs this year. This team with their stars is probably 10-3 instead of 8-5. What real reason do I have to trust the Rams can go up there and win next week, based off who the Rams have shown me they are? Seattle will be a tough out if they get in...
--Lions, Packers, Cowboys, same old same. Not beating anybody if they get in...

So, the most consistently great team in the NFC this year is down their franchise quarterback, and that brings them closer to the pack. The other two "maybe greats" (Vikings, Saints) have both taken some ugly losses this year and lost to playoff opponents they may have to face. The Rams, Panthers, Falcons, have all been exposed multiple times at different times and on any given week the bad version if those teams may show up. Falcons have the momentum but aren't a playoff lock. Seattle isn't winning more than one game in the playoffs. Rodgers could come back like he never left and go on a tear...

Moral?

The NFC Playoffs 2017 Will be the most exciting conference playoffs in years. Anybody can win it. I guarantee you multiple teams that are favored will actually lose in January, which means any one of these teams can beat any other if they bring their A-games. Whoever wins the NFC will have earned it by beating multiple other elite teams...

Old 12-11-2017, 05:00 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Out of those teams, the team to fear the most is the New Orleans Saints.
Agree 100%. Drew Brees will hurt you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Where was destiny yesterday?
Good point.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 PM

939 posts, read 505,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Let's keep it all the way real. Anybody can win the NFC at this point. Who's the favorite?

--Eagles have been most consistent from Week 1 to now, but lost to a Seattle team with half a defense that everyone else has feasted on and took another loss early in the year to a playoff team in Kansas City. Obviously the biggest question is the loss of Wentz. I like Foles and he's one of the better backups around, but who is taking the Nick Foles Eagles over the other contenders? Not me!
--the Vikings are still legit but their three losses this year were to Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Detroit, hardly bastions of consistency this year. Some flaws were exposed yesterday and a blueprint was given on how to have success on that stout defense...
--Are the Rams for real or not? 9 wins this year and the only one over a current playoff team is versus Jacksonville, who is favor if they lined up at this moment. The Rams not only started slow yesterday but the gotdamn penalties and the way they finished...that game was theirs for the taking and they blew it. I think we clearly see that Wentz is better than Goff and that this is an immature team that is a year away from being a Super Bowl contender...
--Saints look like the best NFC team on oaper, but they also can't get outta their own way....
--I refuse to buy the Panthers as a legitimate championship contender. If they get in they have the gane to be a tough out. I can't see them going all the way...
--Falcons may backdoor their way into the postseason and may be the most dangerous team in the field if they get in. They can go on the road and beat any of the other teams...
--Seahawks have to win their division or they'll be out. Listen, few teams have dealt with as much injury bs this year. This team with their stars is probably 10-3 instead of 8-5. What real reason do I have to trust the Rams can go up there and win next week, based off who the Rams have shown me they are? Seattle will be a tough out if they get in...
--Lions, Packers, Cowboys, same old same. Not beating anybody if they get in...

Losing to Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Carolina constitutes losses to inconsistent teams? Color me confused. How are Minnesota's rare losses any more ominous besides as you point out, Philadelphia? Who are the good teams otherwise with only losses to "consistent" teams? Moreover, who are these apparently plentiful consistent teams across the league? Also, I don't know how you can proclaim Green Bay as being one and done with such confidence if they get in and have Rodgers available. And how would it be "same old same"? I don't recall Green Bay being a one-and-done most of the time when they get in the playoffs.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:01 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times
After Week 14, the Philadelphia Eagles are the ONLY team in the playoffs in either the NFC or the AFC.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
After Week 14, the Philadelphia Eagles are the ONLY team in the playoffs in either the NFC or the AFC.
yep, doesn't forebode well for them as they will likely lose their edge coming down the stretch while other teams that make it in late, will remain locked in right into the playoffs.

playoff contenders' record vs winning teams thru week 14

4-2 Philadelphia
6-3 Minnesota
3-3 LA Rams
5-4 New Orleans
5-3 Carolina
5-4 Atlanta
2-4 Seattle
3-6 Detroit
2-6 Green Bay
1-5 Dallas

Last edited by Ghengis; 12-12-2017 at 04:52 AM..

Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Philadelphia definitely doesn't have 4 wins against teams with winning record.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:25 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Maybe I am drawing a blank, but can anyone else remember a season in the last 11 or 12 years when one conference was so wide open? We have Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans (the NFC South is clearly the best conference this year), Los Angeles, Seattle, Philadelphia and Minnesota all playing well and really anyone of them could make it to Minneapolis in February.

At this point I would say the #1 seed is either going to be Philadelphia or Minnesota. (a very hot take I know)

Old 12-12-2017, 07:29 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
They do now. They have beaten Los Angeles (Rams are 9-4 and the Chargers are 7-6), Dallas (they're 7-6) and Carolina (they're 9-4). Going into this week they had only beaten one team with a winning record, Carolina. But both Dallas and LA Charges won to improve to 7-6 and the Eagles also beat the LA Rams this past week so they went from one win over teams with winning records to 4.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
good point, except that they do...definitely

the teams that are on the outside looking in, are there for a pretty glaring reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football