Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times

Advertisements

I was watching "I love the millenium" on VH1 tonight and up came a topic I have forgotten about over time but now recall my memories of it. The XFL.

I was in 7th grade when the league debuted in early 2001 and was a devoted fan of Football. Wasnt the Hockey fan I am today, my interest for the NBA was starting to fade, and my college basketball team (NC State) who were expected to make the NCAA tourny was having another dismal season. So I was very excited to hear that a new football league would start after the end of the Superbowl to keep me entertained sports-wise. There were numerous promos to to get me anixuos for the season to start, and even sports media were getting excited.

I went over to a friends house the day the first game debuted. It was late saturday afternoon and my friend and me were digging in papa johns pizza ready to see the Las Vegas Outlaws were hosting the New York Hitmen, when Vince McManhon walked out onto the field in an XFL jacket and said in a rough voice " This is the XFL!!!!!!". Then came the XFL's version of the coin-toss, which was to put the ball in the center and have 5 or 6 guys have at it to determine possesion, this resulted in the first injury. Then came the actual game, which was quite dissapointing. Final score was something like 26-0 and both me and my friend were rather dissapointed in what we saw.

The league never would recover after it's first week. Ratings dropped big time and the numerous risque cheerleader moves plus the title of "WWE on Grass" made the league last only one season. Perhaps had the league not had so many WWE personailites, the league would have lasted a bit longer and had more fans.

Who else remembers this league?

R.I.P. XFL (2001-2001)

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 06-23-2008 at 10:08 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
I never watched much of it, but it was a fun spectacle while it lasted.

I remember that thing with the ball at the center of the field. Great gimmick, but also a good way to get someone killed! They should have started it like an Aussie Rules game ... just have the ref bounce the ball off the ground and let the guys go up and jump for it. Now THAT would have been cool.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
I liked what the XFL did rules-wise. Tried to make it more exciting and physical, such as no fair catch, and no extra point. But there were to many WWE personalities around it for most football fans to give it a chance. I think McManhon was gunning for more of a young 18-25 age male audience, especially with the cheerleaders in that league.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 PM

384 posts, read 272,522 times
I was in my senior year of high school when this league was around. Watched it every Saturday Night and thought it was the best thing on Saturday Night television since Saturday Night's Main Event. No fair catches, first possession determined by a a "bowl in the ring" like rugby scrum, coaches miced up in the locker room at halftime, Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura on commentary, and no ties. I remember one of the games went into 5 overtimes.

mod note-- a new thread has popped up about the XFL and its future. this one deals w/ the 2000 version. One thread is plenty. Thread closed.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-06-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football