Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times

Advertisements

Congratulations Eagles, this was well earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Feel good win of the new millennium, something that brought America together to root for a team with heart and class and they weren't disappointed.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Foles played brilliantly and deserves everything coming his way. His confidence was outstanding. Something has obviously clicked, because in these playoff games he looked like he should be a starter somewhere. And he definitely outplayed Brady--better ball placement, accuracy, pocket awareness, just absolutely GORGEOUS deep balls, Foles was money last night and will make a ton of money moving forward here soon...

Congrats to the Eagles on that long awaited Lombardi...

Question, what does this say about Andy Reid? Listen, I wasn't a fan of the Pederson hire, I thought he was too inexperienced to take on the task of repairing the dumpster fire of the Chip Kelly era. Clearly I was wrong and thank goodness the Eagles pay people smarter than me to scout coaches. That is the best front-to-back coaching performance I've seen in the Super Bowl in a long time. The guy is 1000x ballsy, but more than that, he got a team that just kept losing big player after big player to buy in and win the whole damn thing...

I'm a huge fan, now. And I can't help but feel that he's cultivated a culture in just two years, that Reid couldn't do in 14. Reid, who consistently put Super Bowl caliber units on the field for Philly, consistently fell short. I think this win is absolutely an indictment on Reid's coaching and inability to win it all...
If there were players/coaches left over from the Reid regime, i might be inclined to agree with you but its been a few years since Reid left and this is an entirely different club - Top to Bottom... You can say Reid simply can't get your team over the top but using this team as an example is a bit of a stretch if you ask me..

Old 02-05-2018, 11:18 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Congrats. The team won in a shootout, something you would not expect from a Brady led team who usually wins those. The Eagles made a play or two that could be deemed the difference in the game. Both defenses were sub par, but one big play (strip sack) near the end of the game is what making a play means.

Tough for this Pats fan, but we were beaten on the field of play, and out-coached.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 02-05-2018 at 11:57 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 AM

agreed... defense were abysmal... which you don't typically see in a SB>>> usually one or often BOTH teams have a top notch Defense... you couldn't prove it after last nights name!

Old 02-05-2018, 01:59 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
If there were players/coaches left over from the Reid regime, i might be inclined to agree with you but its been a few years since Reid left and this is an entirely different club - Top to Bottom... You can say Reid simply can't get your team over the top but using this team as an example is a bit of a stretch if you ask me..
I see where you're going with this, so here's a question. Just roster to roster, was this Eagles team better than the 2001 Eagles, 2002 Eagles, 2003 Eagles, or 2004 Eagles? That was a four-year stretch in which Philly owned the NFC and put out squads that dominated consistently....

Reid had this type of talent here before, arguably more so. Why couldn't he win when it mattered?

Old 02-05-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I see where you're going with this, so here's a question. Just roster to roster, was this Eagles team better than the 2001 Eagles, 2002 Eagles, 2003 Eagles, or 2004 Eagles? That was a four-year stretch in which Philly owned the NFC and put out squads that dominated consistently....

Reid had this type of talent here before, arguably more so. Why couldn't he win when it mattered?
I would say he never won "when it mattered" because he never had the best team "when it mattered."
Comparing rosters is a bit of a stretch but if you simply look at key positions then yes, i think this team is better than any of those. Their record shows it and the end result shows it... Of course this is debatable..

In 2001 the Eagles lost the Rams on the road (greatest show on turf).. in a close game, hardly Reids fault.. lost to a better team.
In 2002 the Eagles lost the Bucs at home.. the Bucs eventually won the SB... its hard for me to argue the Eagles were better than the Bucs that season but some will simply because they were at home..
In 2003 the Eagles lost to the Panthers (at home) in just a terrible game.. it was windy but McNabb was god awful... This was the one game i felt the Eagles lost but should have won.. Suppose they win this game, do you think they are favored to beat the Patriots in the SB?
In 2004 they finally break through, beat the Falcons at home, advance to the Super Bowl and lose 24-21 to the Patriots.. a better team.

IMO, the Eagles fell short in 3 of those 4 seasons to a better team... you can certainly blame Reid for that if you want to but i don't think that team was hands down more talanted than the team that just won the whole enchilada...

I think the better question is, do you think Reid could have taken this (2017) Eagles team and won the Super Bowl just as Doug Pederson has done. I would say NO but only because his track record indicates he can't take a clear underdog and win the big one... That shouldn't be an indictment on his abilities. Reid is one of the top coaches in the NFL.. he has proven it with the Eagles and again with the Chiefs. He wins, maybe the big one but he is NOT alone in that category.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:48 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I would say he never won "when it mattered" because he never had the best team "when it mattered."
Comparing rosters is a bit of a stretch but if you simply look at key positions then yes, i think this team is better than any of those. Their record shows it and the end result shows it... Of course this is debatable..

In 2001 the Eagles lost the Rams on the road (greatest show on turf).. in a close game, hardly Reids fault.. lost to a better team.
In 2002 the Eagles lost the Bucs at home.. the Bucs eventually won the SB... its hard for me to argue the Eagles were better than the Bucs that season but some will simply because they were at home..
In 2003 the Eagles lost to the Panthers (at home) in just a terrible game.. it was windy but McNabb was god awful... This was the one game i felt the Eagles lost but should have won.. Suppose they win this game, do you think they are favored to beat the Patriots in the SB?
In 2004 they finally break through, beat the Falcons at home, advance to the Super Bowl and lose 24-21 to the Patriots.. a better team.

IMO, the Eagles fell short in 3 of those 4 seasons to a better team... you can certainly blame Reid for that if you want to but i don't think that team was hands down more talanted than the team that just won the whole enchilada...

I think the better question is, do you think Reid could have taken this (2017) Eagles team and won the Super Bowl just as Doug Pederson has done. I would say NO but only because his track record indicates he can't take a clear underdog and win the big one... That shouldn't be an indictment on his abilities. Reid is one of the top coaches in the NFL.. he has proven it with the Eagles and again with the Chiefs. He wins, maybe the big one but he is NOT alone in that category.
Agreed. I was never as anti-Reid as some Eagles fans. Although he ultimately fell short, you have to credit him for what he was able to do. Personally, I do give him a lot of credit.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:04 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Some of the stats I will remember for a loooooong time regarding yesterday's game.

1151 yards total offense between the Pats and the Eagles.

Only one interception between the two teams. And that one was a result of a tip.

3rd down efficiency--Eagles were 6 out of 10, Pats were 5 out of ten.

Only one sack between both clubs.

Only one punt between the two clubs.

One of the most memorable super bowl games--ever!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Agreed. I was never as anti-Reid as some Eagles fans. Although he ultimately fell short, you have to credit him for what he was able to do. Personally, I do give him a lot of credit.
I am sure the Kansas City Chiefs feel exactly the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football