Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:31 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Why does the national anthem have to be played before every sporting event? I don't think it makes us any less patriotic as a nation if we don't do it. Do we play the anthem before church? or movies? or charity events. No we don't. I think it's time to move on from this tradition. It's getting hijacked now and turned into a circus.
We used to play it when TV came on at approximately 0600 every day, before cable tv. We sued to play it at movies. Private events , such as Church or charity, no.
History is a wonderful thing people keep forgetting.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You know with the advent of social media, people are far more aware of what is wrong with this country and as a consequence they ain’t gonna feel the “God Bless America” move. Can’t really blame anyone for feeling a certain type a way against a country where people get more upset by taking a knee than people getting killed by police brutality.
People are being fed what is wrong, not the good. If you are fed bad information, wrong information daily, it becomes all you know.
If you stay one site, facebook, the view, for example, and many left wing media outlets, you will hear allot of Bad press about the USA. If it is so fricking bad, why arent people leaving to Canada like they scream. And why not go to Mexico, hmm...??
Yes our country has had some bad moments. Yes we have had bad politicians that have screwed things up giving us a bad name. But overall, we have many people that want to be here and love this country because it offers so much more than other countrys.
I sent my daughter to France to spend time with my cousin. She loved it, and Spain too. She said it was so much better than the USA. I said, well, yhou were a guest. You werent working there trying to making a living. My cousin has a vineyard and such. Life was real good for her in France and Spain.
But, We are a damn fine country and many around the world are trying their hardest to get here. We are a spoiled nation, and many have no idea how good they have it..

Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
You know with the advent of social media, people are far more aware of what is wrong with this country and as a consequence they ain’t gonna feel the “God Bless America” move. Can’t really blame anyone for feeling a certain type a way against a country where people get more upset by taking a knee than people getting killed by police brutality.
And you can't really blame anyone for resenting your using a very few isolated incidents of injustice to condemn an entire nation, it's people, and everything they stand for.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Now officially NFL players are required if they are on the field for the anthem, they are required to stand. They can stay in the locker room if they do not want to stand. The Jets chairman has come out against the new policy already. 49ers owner Jed York abstained from voting on the rule due to a lack of input from players.

Sure this won’t be a surprise to some but I think the NFL took a cowardly way out to appease the current presidential administration and a lot of fans who could care less about the welfare of the majority of players that make up rosters.
And its not even April 1st, good fans......

Old 05-25-2018, 08:39 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The NFL as an employer has every right to limit the behavior of it's employees while "on company tme" in order to protect it's own best intetest. Most businesses do.
Oh, cmon macie! You don’t expect the poor, mistreated, unappreciated NFL whiners to give up their constitutional rights, do you? Oh wait, they still enjoy those rights you say? You just expect them to follow company policy at their jobs, which they participate in of their own free will, right?

Beware macie! Common sense like that is not appreciated by the ‘professional victim’ crowd. That group is well represented here.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:10 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide1703 View Post
Why do people get so gosh darned bent out of shape when someone kneels? It isn't disrespectful to kneel, is it? Don't people kneel before the queen and stuff? I would think wearing undies with the flag on them, rubbing your butthole against them would be far more disrespectful, right (That last part was stolen from Buzzfeed)? Do you stand up at home with hand over heart, and look at a flag? Do you care about the people who don't stand in the stands, or the ones who aren't even in the stands, but in the bathroom or getting a hot dog?
And with that illustrious first post, you're probably on a half dozen ignore lists. Great start.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide1703 View Post
Why do people get so gosh darned bent out of shape when someone kneels? It isn't disrespectful to kneel, is it? Don't people kneel before the queen and stuff? I would think wearing undies with the flag on them, rubbing your butthole against them would be far more disrespectful, right (That last part was stolen from Buzzfeed)? Do you stand up at home with hand over heart, and look at a flag? Do you care about the people who don't stand in the stands, or the ones who aren't even in the stands, but in the bathroom or getting a hot dog?

it is a convoluted reasoning, but when you kneel before the queen, king, or other head of state, you are showing due deference to them and the position they have acquired. this goes back many generations.

but kneeling during the playing of a countries national anthem is not showing respect, but rather it is disrespecting the nation and the flag of that nation. watch the playing of any countries national anthem around the world, and note that virtually NO ONE kneels for the playing of the anthem, in ANY country.

also note that kaepernick said that he refused to show respect for the flag and the country due to police brutality, whether perceived or real. he was doing it to protest that issue. so it is known to be a sign of disrespect to kneel during the playing of a countries national anthem, and a sign of disrespect to not kneel before many countries top leaders.

in asian countries it is a sign of disrespect to not bow to others, even if that bow is just a slight head bob.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:41 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Disrespect gets tossed around a lot. These players don't burn the flag, or in anyway deface the flag. All they do is silently protest what gets done in this country to people of color by the police. It's not a perception, it's a reality. What the players are doing is the ultimate sign of being an American. The right to protest and speak out against injustice. Those that would silence them are the real unpatriotic folks. Remember when you try to remove someones rights, or silence protest/debate, you lose in the end as well. One day someone will come for your rights, or want to silence you, and no will be there to help.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
People say kneeling is not disrespecting the flag, but I disagree. Protest, in itself, is a form of disrespect. It does not matter if it is for a good cause or not, it is still disrespect. The message is, "Until I feel like you respect me, I am revoking my respect for you." That is what protest is. So please don't sit there and say kneeling is not disrespecting the flag, because it is. That is the whole point. Kneeling for the flag when it is customary, respectful, and honorable to stand for the flag, is an attempt to force change. The issue is, people, in general, do not tend to respond positively to a negative action. The other issue is, inequality is not a positive thing, so how do you turn attention to such a negative thing in a positive manner?

Personally, kneeling for the National Anthem, while a powerful display and thought provoking, is negative. It is disrespectful. But, you have that right. Just like the NFL has the right, as a private company, to say they want people to stand for it or let them sit in the locker room. I don't necessarily agree with how the NFL is handling this, but they have to look at this from a business perspective, and this hurt business last year.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
People say kneeling is not disrespecting the flag, but I disagree. Protest, in itself, is a form of disrespect. It does not matter if it is for a good cause or not, it is still disrespect. The message is, "Until I feel like you respect me, I am revoking my respect for you." That is what protest is. So please don't sit there and say kneeling is not disrespecting the flag, because it is. That is the whole point. Kneeling for the flag when it is customary, respectful, and honorable to stand for the flag, is an attempt to force change. The issue is, people, in general, do not tend to respond positively to a negative action. The other issue is, inequality is not a positive thing, so how do you turn attention to such a negative thing in a positive manner?

Personally, kneeling for the National Anthem, while a powerful display and thought provoking, is negative. It is disrespectful. But, you have that right. Just like the NFL has the right, as a private company, to say they want people to stand for it or let them sit in the locker room. I don't necessarily agree with how the NFL is handling this, but they have to look at this from a business perspective, and this hurt business last year.
And you are free to disagree. That's what's great about this country, right? We also have some not so great things, which is what they are trying to bring attention to. Are they going about it the correct way? Maybe, maybe not, but one thing is for certain, and that is the fact that they are bringing a ton of attention to it, negative or not. I am sure you have heard the saying, "Any publicity is good publicity"?

Now, I am not saying that all of the players think the same way, or that they are all doing it for the right reasons either. I am just saying that they are using the avenue that they think is best. Leave them to it. If people weren't making such a stink about it, it would have more than likely gone away already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football