Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:00 AM

340 posts, read 260,994 times

Advertisements

A new spring football league will launch a week after Super Bowl LIII. Check it out for yourself: https://aaf.com/

Does it have a chance to succeed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,570,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
A new spring football league will launch a week after Super Bowl LIII. Check it out for yourself: https://aaf.com/

Does it have a chance to succeed?
It would be a breath of fresh Spring air if it succeeded. However, due to the history (lack of success) of most all other start-ups, I certainly have my doubts!

Old 09-27-2018, 06:07 PM

3,633 posts, read 2,467,688 times
Castleton, Thanks for the heads-up.

The USFL had their best success when they played in the spring.. it was when they tried a head-to-head (vs. NFL) Fall schedule that their league collapsed.

2 initial things I noticed.. all the teams are in the South & West. And the Fleet's logo looks very similar to the old UFL' Virginia Destroyers logo..

It'd be nice to have a legit alternative to the NFL..

Old 09-28-2018, 12:19 AM

17,388 posts, read 14,925,309 times
Huh.. They got Spurrier? I hadn't heard about that.

I'll say the same thing about them that I said about the XFL when it was announced.. If they operate as a feeder league.. They have a shot.

One of the smart things I see right now.. They have rosters in place. It's basically October, they don't play until April or so.. This is a fair shot better than the first go round of the XFL where they had about 2 weeks of practice before the first game. And, they're beating the XFL to the field by a year.

The USFL succeeded, briefly, simply because of the money they threw out. They got top players, so they could, for a time, compete with the NFL so far as quality. This league will not be able to do that. Accept it and play to that.

Minor league baseball is just as fun to go to as a major league game, even though you're not seeing the top stars.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:49 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,400,990 times
I agree with Labonte18. If they keep this league as a spring, feeder league, it does have a shot at succeeding. Of course, NFL Europe eventually faded away and was basically just that - a spring feeder league. Of course, it was heavily supported by the NFL.

I would rather see this than Arena football.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:20 AM

6,401 posts, read 8,919,587 times
For a league set to kick off in 4 months there's not much publicity. There's been some media coverage about the Arizona Hotshots but only because a few people are offended by the name thinking it exploits the Granite Mountain crew. The league does have some financial backing with Ebersol and Polian and a few notable players in other roles. I'll give it a shot as long as ticket prices are reasonable.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 2,467,688 times
For whatever it's worth, they've started a YouTube page..

'Alliance of American Football' in the search bar & it pops up. Some franchise promos & coaches speaking..

Old 10-26-2018, 05:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,633,484 times
good question can this league succeed. i think it can as long as they do the things necessary to succeed. leave it spring football, build the league up through advertising and expansion, slowly of course. and pick up the young players the NFL ignored or dropped from their rosters.

this will be competition for arena football in the end, so it should be interesting.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:22 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,680,563 times
Good input by everyone here. This league is getting off to a good start IMO and the one thing I notice most is something that the American Football League did back in 1959 when they drew up the plans. That is start off with 8 teams. That's where the USFL made their first mistake, starting off with 18 teams was a problem right off the bat. And they saw five teams fold by the 1985 season.

Here's how the league stacks up with head coaches that have been named--

Atlanta Legends-Brad Childress
Birmingham Iron-Tim Lewis
Memphis Express-Mike Singletary
Orlando Apollos-Steve Spurrier

Arizona Hotshots-Rick Neuheisel
Salt Lake Stallions-Dennis Erickson
San Antonio Commanders-Mike Riley
San Diego Fleet-Mike Martz

The one thing I noticed right away when I pulled up their site-at the top of the page it states "Season tickets start at $75." I hope it DOES succeed.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-27-2018 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: spelling, addition

Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 PM

17,388 posts, read 14,925,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good input by everyone here. This league is getting off to a good start IMO and the one thing I notice most is something that the American Football League did back in 1959 when they drew up the plans. That is start off with 8 teams. That's where the USFL made their first mistake, starting off with 18 teams was a problem right off the bat. And they saw five teams fold by the 1985 season.

Here's how the league stacks up with head coaches that have been named--

Atlanta Legends-Brad Childress
Birmingham Iron-Tim Lewis
Memphis Express-Mike Singletary
Orlando Apollos-Steve Spurrier

Arizona Hotshots-Rick Neuheisel
Salt Lake Stallions-Dennis Erickson
San Antonio Commanders-Mike Riley
San Diego Fleet-Mike Martz

The one thing I noticed right away when I pulled up their site-at the top of the page it states "Season tickets start at $75." I hope it DOES succeed.

And.. Very little direct competition with the NFL there? Where is the Arizona team? Tempe, so.. That's overlap as is Atlanta.. as I recall, teams in Birmingham have historically done well attendance-wise with the various leagues.

This league seems sane.. Whether it succeeds or not I can't say, but.. They're doing things right, it appears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football