Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 11:05 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times

Advertisements

Alex Smith and HOF are not something I ever expected to read.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:20 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
His stats aren't even close - compared to his peers he's virtually never in the top 10 any annual stat category

He has been a solid QB, but probably didn't have the relative peak of other mid level no chance players

Old 11-10-2018, 01:03 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
I lobe Smith. But other than passer efficiency he just doesn’t have the stats compared to his peers. He’s a franchise QB that has never been asked to carry a team with high volume passing attempts. This has lead to great team success and great efficiency.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:53 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
And probably to the hated "game manager" moniker. I've always liked him, he and Aaron are forever linked together!

Old 11-10-2018, 03:07 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
way too much credit is given for a QB that is lucky enough to have a team carry them thru a SB

examples:
Mark Rypien
Doug Williams
Bob Griese
Jim Mcmahon
Joe Theismann
these guys were on a team that won a SB despite them, not because of them.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:11 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I guess Nick Foles will end up in the Hall of Fame. Good for him.
Nick Foles career is far from over. He will be a starter somewhere next season. We'll see what he does then. He certainly played like an HOF candidate during the last half of the season, and through the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:33 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
I've always appreciated Alex Smith as a QB, and I couldn't care less about his stats. Or any ridiculous HOF scrutiny. Smith is excellent in his own way.

He may not be everyone's cat's meow, or the bee's knees...

He may not be at the very top, but he's competed well against even the best field generals!

In my opinion, he's nifty. He's peachy. He's keen! He's daddy cool! He's one of the ginchiest!

Why? Smith understands his position. He knows his craft. And because he does, he's had longevity. He keeps on keeping on. He's had staying power.

That's what's made him valuable, and continues to make him GREAT, in my opinion.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:59 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Alex Smith has a very nice career....

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...S/SmitAl03.htm

….. and he's put up borderline HOF statistics. But nobody should think about voting him in until he wins some playoff games and at least one Super Bowl.
Alex Smith wouldn't make the HOF even if he did win a Super Bowl.....

He doesn't even have "borderline" HOF statistics when he is compared to his peers in THIS era. The fact that his stats compare favorably to players whose careers were over 30 years ago just proves that point....

In the pass happy NFL of this era, statistically Smith has been in the lower half of the league....

33K yards, 192 TD's and 99 interceptions in a 13 year career????

Drew Bledsoe whose career ended 2 years after Smith's began played in the same number of seasons

44k yards, 250 TD's and 200 Int's

Drew was also 3-3 in the playoffs and led his team to a Super Bowl compared to Smith who was 2-5 in the playoffs and never led a team to a Super Bowl.

I loved Drew but I don't think he'll ever sniff the HOF and neither will Smith.....

HOF is supposed to be for the best of the best...when exactly was Smith ever considered the "best of the best"??

Drew Bledsoe had a couple of seasons early in his career when he was considered a top 5 QB in the NFL....

Smith has NEVER been considered a top 5 QB in the in the NFL....and even he ended up winning a SB that would not change

Old 11-11-2018, 06:09 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Basically, it's become "Alex WHO?". Decent QB. Certainly not an accomplished leader (in the terms of a field general). Not Hall worthy. That is all.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:18 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
In today's pass happy, offensive oriented league.. stats simply don't mean that much.

Case in point, Tony Romo has better stats that Hall of Famers Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach but Romo will never get into the HOF.. not because he wasn't good but because he wasn't a HALL FAMER like Staubach and Aikman.. Stats tell you very little of the story and even less in todays NFL.
It’s pointless to compare stats across eras without some kind of period adjusting. Offensive player stats do tell you something if you do so, but you need to have some kind of context as well. One needs to keep in mind, for example, that WR stats for players on run heavy teams tend to be depressed. Plus defensive stats tend to be misleading in general (lots of INTs can mean a DB who is a ballhawk with a nose for the ball or someone who gets thrown a lot because he’s not good in coverage, while players with lots of sacks tend to get in while the guys clogging up the o-line freeing up the sackers get ignored. And tackle stats mean nothing because there is no standard for awarding them). But stats for QBs and RBs and (with the above caveat) WRs and TEs tend to be more meaningful.

Romo’s numbers are good for his time, though Aikman’s and Staubach’s are better in relation to their own time. He’s the kind of player who needed good postseason results to be seriously considered, which he doesn’t have.

And Alex Smith is no HoFer even if he wins a SB — and most certainly not if Phillip Rivers doesn’t get in. Which the latter likely won’t despite having good regular season stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football