Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Here's the list:

1963- "Slingin" Sammy Baugh, Bert Bell, Joseph Carr, Dutch Clark, Harold "Red" Grange, George Halas, Cal Hubbard, Earl "Curley" Lambeau, Tim Mara, George Preston Marshall, John McNally, Bronko Nagurski, Ernie Nevers, Art Rooney, Jim Thorpe
Total of 15 inducted in the first year.

1964- Jim Conzelman, Ed Healey, Clark Hinkle, Mike Michalske, George Trafton

1965- Guy Chamberlain, John "Paddy" Driscoll, Dan Fortman, Otto Graham, Sid Luckman, Steve Van Buren, Bob Waterfield

1966- Bill Dudley, Joe Guyon, Walt Kiesling, George MacAfee, Steve Owen, Hugh "Shorty' Rae

IMO it was important to the league to have this many players in the HOF in its first year and actually there are as many owners and coaches in the Hall as there is players voted in that year, for instance George Halas (Bears), George Preston Marshall (Redskins), Tim Mara (NY Giants), Art Rooney (Steelers). Jim Thorpe is in there for several reasons, not that he was rolling up big stats in the NFL. He was a big name. How big? An Associated Press poll listed Thorpe as the greatest athlete in the first half of the 20th century, easily over Babe Ruth. He was the first noted NFL player in its history. And I believe everyone knows his appearances in the Olympics. AND he spent several years with the New York Giants (baseball) when John McGraw was the manager.

In 1967 the well known players, and players who have been discussed on this forum, started stacking up. That year the inductees were Dan Reeves (owner of L.A. Rams), Chuck Bednarik, Paul Brown, Charles Bidwell, and Bobby Layne.
So many greats in those first few years inducted into the HOF! Big names! Thanks for the info, HH.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:15 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Smith in the HOF ... not even close. He's only considered as well as he is because he was in the Andy Reid system. Reid always seems to have great QB's. Talent or system?

Based on what exactly? Alex Smith has never once been considered in the group of the best QBs of his time, he's not even in the second group and never has been. No he is constantly rated in the 15-20 range and that is not Hall of Fame territory. Let's not forget 2 contending teams felt he was holding them back and went in another direction and of course for years he was considered a bust in SF, those years counts too.

This is so bizarre to me that anyone thinks he is a slam dunk. Are you related or something?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
[b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Based on what exactly? Alex Smith has never once been considered in the group of the best QBs of his time, he's not even in the second group and never has been. No he is constantly rated in the 15-20 range and that is not Hall of Fame territory. Let's not forget 2 contending teams felt he was holding them back and went in another direction and of course for years he was considered a bust in SF, those years counts too.

This is so bizarre to me that anyone thinks he is a slam dunk. Are you related or something?
Speaking of bizarre.

Don't really know WTH you are inferring. I said Smith was not even close to a HOF candidate. Might want to reread my post and try some comprehension this time.

Now maybe when I was describing Reid as having "great" QB's you read something into that and in retrospect I should have said "his QB's appeared to perform well" but most readers can see that I don't feel Smith is worthy of the HOF. Obviously not you.

My direct quote, which you have above is : "Smith in the HOF ... not even close."

Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
[b]

Speaking of bizarre.

Don't really know WTH you are inferring. I said Smith was not even close to a HOF candidate. Might want to reread my post and try some comprehension this time.

Now maybe when I was describing Reid as having "great" QB's you read something into that and in retrospect I should have said "his QB's appeared to perform well" but most readers can see that I don't feel Smith is worthy of the HOF. Obviously not you.

My direct quote, which you have above is : "Smith in the HOF ... not even close."

I'm sorry, I read it to mean "Not even close" meant you thought it was a slam dunk. Sorry man, I read so many sharing this opinion I thought you were one more.

I believe this makes me the 3rd person in the history of the internet to admit he was wrong on a message board. Sorry again.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If Smith has 3 more good seasons after this year, and wins a SB - he will be considered for HOF. Should he be? Probably not, but the conversation will come up.
No....it absolutely will not come up....even if he were to win a SB.

Smith will never be in the HOF conversation......end of discussion.

Do you know how many QB's are currently in the HOF from the modern era which is 1950's to today?

26.....roughly 3-5 per decade.....

Heck Smith could win 2 Super Bowls and he still wouldn't "be in the conversation"

He will NEVER....as in NEVER EVER will be considered one of 3-5 best QB's of his era, his narrative has been written and nothing will change that....

He would have to pass Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Ben, Rivers, Rodgers....

Never mind Ryan, E. Manning, Wilson, Newton etc....

Eli has 2 Super Bowl wins against the dominant team of the past 2 decades and he is FAR from a slam dunk himself....

I would bet my house that Smith will never be seriously considered for the HOF

Old 11-15-2018, 07:27 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
^^^^^^^^^^basically a duplicate of post #18^^^^^^^^^

And on THAT note, it's best to close the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football