Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times

Advertisements

Rivers is very close to being a Hall Of Famer according to the numbers. I was surprised at how good they are over the course of his career. But his downfall is going to the lack of championships. Heck he has never even played in a Super Bowl. I have no problem if Rivers makes the Hall - nor am I going to lay awake at night if he doesn't.

As for the Brees comparison --- I'll take Brees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 09:23 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Of the QBs with over 50,000 career passing yards in NFL history only three of them have higher career QB ratings than Rivers. Brees, Brady and Peyton.

I think Rivers has a least two more seasons in him. At which point he will end his career with over 60,000 passing yards and 400 TDs. Placing him somewhere between 5-7 all time in yards and 5th or 6th in TDs all time.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Matt Ryan is another guy who could definitely be in the conversation assuming he can play at his career averages for another six seasons he will finish with over 73,000 passing yards and 450 TDs. All while being very efficient. Six years would only put him at the age of 39 so it seems doable. These young QBs, Matt Ryan included will have to reach the 70,000 yard passing mark for concideration IMO because of the changes that have benefited the passing game over the years. Whereas QBs like Rivers and Big Ben can be considered HOFers with only 60,000 yards.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:14 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Brees is going to finish as the LeBron of the NFL. He's going to hold the vast majority of the major records and he'll be a champion (probable multiple champion it looks like). But he'll be less accomplished in accolades and have fewer championships and postseason success than Brady...

I think he's making a relevant conversation out of something I've said for years, which is that he's up there with Manning and Brady. He's assaulting Manning's records year after year, he beat Manning head-to-head in the Super Bowl, and he could finish tied in ring count and greater playoff resume. If you take accolades and championships out of it, you have a very debatable Brady or Brees convo as well...

Drew Brees is already one of the Top 8 or so to play the position. This season is elevating his legacy and if he caps it with a ring he is going to fly past most guys...

Old 11-26-2018, 12:05 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I actually think Brees is better than Brady if you look at the body of work. Brees can make all kinds of throw, he's more mobile, very accurate and doesn't depend on schemes like Brady does. The reason Brady has won so many years because the AFC East sucks. The Pats have always had the easier schedules than other contenders, I don't know how they get away with it. The rarely play tough teams throughout the last decade. When you get to play the AFC East 8/16 games with the bad teams like Jets, Bills, Dolphins you're gonna have 10 win teams every year. They will all be in the HOF.

My top 5 QB of this gen regardless of record:

1. Rodgers
2. P.Manning
3. Brees
4. Brady
5. Ben

Old 12-14-2018, 02:47 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Rivers is making a push for MVP and a Super Bowl would lock his HOF bid in with no questions left. I'm rooting for him, unless he plays Seattle or New Orleans, but even then I can't not like the 2018 Chargers!

Old 12-14-2018, 03:00 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I actually think Brees is better than Brady if you look at the body of work. Brees can make all kinds of throw, he's more mobile, very accurate and doesn't depend on schemes like Brady does. The reason Brady has won so many years because the AFC East sucks. The Pats have always had the easier schedules than other contenders, I don't know how they get away with it. The rarely play tough teams throughout the last decade. When you get to play the AFC East 8/16 games with the bad teams like Jets, Bills, Dolphins you're gonna have 10 win teams every year. They will all be in the HOF.

My top 5 QB of this gen regardless of record:

1. Rodgers
2. P.Manning
3. Brees
4. Brady
5. Ben
I do agree the Patriots have had it easy playing the teams in the East but outside of that they have had to play all the first place teams every year because they win their division. It isn't like they have a say in their schedule. They also only play 6/16 games within their division. I am no fan of the Patriots but I also know they haven't had it that easy outside of their division.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:02 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Rivers is making a push for MVP and a Super Bowl would lock his HOF bid in with no questions left. I'm rooting for him, unless he plays Seattle or New Orleans, but even then I can't not like the 2018 Chargers!
I would love to see a Chargers/Saints Super Bowl. No matter the outcome it would be bittersweet because of my huge respect for both QBs. Brees is by far my favorite player and the Chargers are my team by birth right. Ha!

Old 12-15-2018, 07:39 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Being a Cowboys fan, i dislike the Giants from every level. Wish they went 0-16 every year... but i think Eli has a decent shot at the Hall of Fame. He didn't just win 2 Super Bowls, he was MVP of 2 Super Bowls. That's a real short list of 2x Super Bowl MVPs. He didn't simply get lucky 2x... he led his underdog Giants team to 2 Super Bowl wins.. something that simply cannot be understated.

I don't think he is a lock nor do i necessarily think he should go in... But if you gave me Rivers or Eli and asked me to put 1 in the hall, i am taking Eli.... stop looking at stats and start looking at big games. Rivers has simply not been in any big games minus 1 AFC Championship game which he lost... Eli has won both the NFC Championship games and both the Super Bowls he has been in.. and in all 4 of those games, he was the best player on the field. And for my money, that is the sole difference between Eli and Rivers.. those 2 Super Bowl Runs that Eli and the Giants had that Rivers and the Chargers have not had.. and make no mistake, without Eli the Giants neither win nor make either of those Super Bowls.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:27 PM

I respectfully disagree mco65.

For me Eli’s postseason success only adds up to a nice story in an otherwise below average career. Eli’s career numbers are average. His numbers are one small step ahead of Ryan Fitzpatrick when you look at QB rating, TD%, INT%, completion % etc. Rivers on the other hand has numbers on par with the all time greats.

I’m also not so sure about Eli really being he best player in those four games. The Giants defense deserves most of the credit in those super bowl wins against potent NE offenses. It’s not like he had an all time great postseason like Joe Flacco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football