Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 12:39 PM

938 posts, read 1,229,320 times

Advertisements

Last time I went out on the limb was a Breeders cup race. Here goes again. I like Foles. I dont like the secondary but more to this game than that. Foles works time with ball fairly well. The team has played as underdogs many times. I say Foles gets Philly 3 touchdowns. Will this be enough a couple field goals would help the cause. If its 51-14 I am off the mark if its 27 - 17 I will be right on. Go Eagles. Keep the faith. Foles is better than the talk he does it on the field.

Last edited by Norm Barnes; 12-15-2018 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 04:56 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Ironic how things have flipped from last year.

The Eagles were the ones going for home field against the Rams last year, now they are going for home field this year against the Eagles.

I think the rams will get it done. Still rooting for the Eagles though...

Old 12-16-2018, 06:25 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
I don't think the Drop off between Wentz and Foles is a factor.. In fact i think you could argue that Foles might give the Eagles a better chance to win... Still, the Eagles problems extend well beyond the QB position.

I think the Eagles are done. but i thought the same thing last year when Wentz went down so take that with a grain of salt.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,938,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't think the Drop off between Wentz and Foles is a factor.. In fact i think you could argue that Foles might give the Eagles a better chance to win... Still, the Eagles problems extend well beyond the QB position.

I think the Eagles are done. but i thought the same thing last year when Wentz went down so take that with a grain of salt.

Yes, that's it in a nutshell. They haven't had a good enough O line to protect Wentz, and didn't have the depth to overcome so many injuries this year.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

i dont think there is a drop off between wentz and foles. they are just two different kinds of quarterbacks. wentz is the guy that can make things happen with his arm or his legs, where as foles makes things happen with his arm, but does some of the little things wentz doesnt do, like pull plays out of the book like what helped the eagles win the super bowl, and he went out in the flat to catch a TD pass.

either qb can extend the play and make things happen though.

but you are right, the eagles issues are not quarterback related. they have problems on defense that really hurts the team. last year if the eagles had a lead late in the fourth quarter, the defense would stop the other team from scoring. this year not so much.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:30 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,938,490 times
List of the Eagles 2018 injuries. One look at all on IR alone is the Eagles' problem this season. Time to take a good look at the medical and training staff.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...8_injuries.htm

Old 12-16-2018, 10:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
well the eagles pulled together today and beat the rams, though they certainly let the rams make a game of it at the end.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well the eagles pulled together today and beat the rams, though they certainly let the rams make a game of it at the end.
still an upset.......if Foles and the Eagles wins the last 2 games at home versus the Texans in Philly and at the Redskins, they will probably make the playoffs and this is a dangerous team with Foley.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:06 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Glad I was wrong on my prediction. 0-1 for the year.

Foles did well.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:08 AM

5,831 posts, read 5,637,561 times
Eagles panicked and rushed Wentz back too soon. That is an organizational error, they would have done better testing Wentz as long as possible, just like the Colts did Luck last year. Yes, it may have cost them some losses and possibly the season, but if he's your future, you dont risk it for half a year of work...

Wentz was only 5-6 this year anyway and clearly didn't look the part of the elite player from last year. I would attribute at least part of that to a rushed recovery time...

This has to be said, and Eagles fans may not like it. Carson Wentz has now played three seasons. He has tremendous upside, but he has an injury history, and he's looking like the NFC version of Derek Carr. He had one year (last year) that he just knocked it out of the park and looked like he could be one of the best players in the game. Other than that, we are looking at a player who is just slightly above average who cant stay on the field...

If I'm the Eagles, if Foles ends this season on a winning streak, I'm seriously evaluating these two in the offseason. Yeah, we think Wentz is the better player, but we really don't know that, do we? They have virtually the same record as a starter (Foles 23-18, Wentz 23-17), and while Foles has been prone to horrible stretches, he's been around longer. Wentz hasn't had the dumpster stretches, but again, aside from last year, he has a losing record as a starter (12-15). His mechanics aren't great, either...

I'm coming down on Carson Wentz. I'm not necessarily high on Foles either, but I don't think it's so clear cut that Wentz is the better fit for this team, or the better player. I have one great season and two average seasons, I'm weighing "potential" versus what I've actually seen. I just think we did this with Derek Carr a few years ago, we anointed him as an elite player after one great year, when the rest of his body of work is average. If his ceiling is Derek Carr, that isn't terrible but it definitely isn't great...

If, big if, but if Philly finishes this year on a hot streak, there needs to be some serious, serious evaluation at the QB position for next year. I would not be averse to naming Foles the starter and putting Wentz on the bench. He clearly needs more development and again, what I've actually seen, not what I think Wentz can be "possibly", but what I've actually seen, there is a very thin margin as to which guy is the better fit for the team...

They say when you have two quarterbacks, you don't have a quarterback. The Philadelphia Eagles are gonna have a long offseason, they don't have a quarterback...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football