Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 AM

482 posts, read 242,233 times

Advertisements

What is your starting offense for an all time team?

You get 11 players to form the greatest starting offense ever. You also get another RB and slot receiver Who you got?

This is my team

QB - Joe Montana (mid 80's when he still had wheels to scramble. He may not have had the strongest or most accurate arm ever, but he was the ultimate winner....... Joe Cool)

HB - OJ Simpson (from his 2k season. I would use him as a pure runner on 1st and 2nd down. I would take him over Barry Sanders in this role simply because he was a little better with the north/south stuff IMO)

FB -John Riggins (I would use him as a lead blocker and to complement OJ in a thunder and lightening role)

HB/FB - Marcus Allen (I would play him as my main back in single back situations. He was the most complete RB to ever play IMO. He could do it all)

WR - Jerry Rice (Early 90's in his prime. He's the GOAT. The best all around receiver to ever play)

WR - Larry Fitzgerald (Another do it all 4 down receiver like Rice. Fitz is one of the best blocking receivers ever and doesn't drop the ball or make many mistakes)

WR - Hines Ward (Another do it all guy that I would use as my slot)

TE- Tony Gonzales (Speed, hands, and toughness. What's not to like. He was also a much better blocker than people remember)

C - Jim Otto (A smaller lineman with great instincts and the ability to get down field. He was a 13 time ALL PRO)

G - Larry Allen (A true physical freak of nature that was able to open up the run game better than any other lineman to ever play IMO)

G- Steve Hutchinson (He might be one of the most aggressive blockers to ever play. Like Allen he is another guy that can make a good running back a great running back)

T - Anthony Munoz (the greatest pure blocker to ever play pro football, and he was as tough as they come. The GOAT lineman)

T - Jonathan Ogden (A mountain of a man with quick feet. A true freak that literally broke his opponents)

Last edited by spider99; 11-13-2018 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 06:44 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
My team, at least for today, offense and defense. Subject to change without notice. Lots of really tough omissions here:

C — Jim Otto
G — John Hannah, Bruce Matthews
T — Anthony Munoz, Roosevelt Brown
TE — John Mackey
WR — Don Hutson, Jerry Rice
QB — Peyton Manning
FB — Jim Brown
HB — Walter Payton

DT — Merlin Olsen, Bob Lilly
DE — Reggie White, Deacon Jones
MLB — Dick Butkus
OLB — Bobby Bell, Lawrence Taylor
CB — Dick Lane, Jim Johnson
S — Ronnie Lott, Larry Wilson

PK — Nick Lowery
P — Sammy Baugh
KR — Deion Sanders, Devin Hester

Old 11-24-2018, 01:04 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Y'all wouldn't win without Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Jim Brown, and Calvin Johnson.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:24 PM

939 posts, read 505,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
My team, at least for today, offense and defense. Subject to change without notice. Lots of really tough omissions here:

C — Jim Otto
TE — John Mackey
QB — Peyton Manning
FB — Jim Brown
HB — Walter Payton

MLB — Dick Butkus

PK — Nick Lowery
P — Sammy Baugh
Good list, as much as I wouldn't consider Peyton Manning my 1st team QB. I wasn't around for their playing days, but its pretty difficult to omit Jim Brown and John Mackey from an all-time first team. I'd take Mackey any day (those days they were more termed "flankers") than catch-happy tight ends of the modern era like Gonzalez.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:45 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
lets start with the anchor for the offense, the linemen;

center - mike webster aka iron mike. played for the steelers in the 70s into the late 80s

guards - bruce mathews and john hannah

takles - art shell and forrest gregg

tight ends - jason witten and rob gronkowski

those guys are all beasts at their positions, and the tight ends can block as well as catch passes.

for receivers

wide outs - calvin johnson and jerry rice

slot receivers - cole beasly and julian edelman

beasly may not be the best, but he is consistent, and he does get open and get yards after the catch. the others are beasts in their positions also.

running backs - jim brown and emmit smith two of the all time greatest running backs

quarterbacks - johnny unitas and roger staughbach. you want guys to make plays in the clutch. these are two of the best.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:15 PM

314 posts, read 238,386 times
QB - Johnny U
FB - Larry Csonka
HB - the Kansas Comet
C - Double Ought
G - Larry Allen
G - Bruce Matthews
T - Anthony Munoz
T - Forrest Gregg
TE - Jason Witten
WR - Chris Carter
WR - Bambi
PK - Adam Vinatieri

Yep! I got two number 19s on my roster.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:15 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post

C — Jim Otto
TE — John Mackey
QB — Peyton Manning
FB — Jim Brown
HB — Walter Payton

MLB — Dick Butkus

PK — Nick Lowery
P — Sammy Baugh
You nailed the defense but I would go with a more modern TE.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:51 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You nailed the defense but I would go with a more modern TE.
Thanks for the kind words.

I chose John Mackey because I wanted a TE that could really block as well as catch a pass; plus he was really tough to bring down once he caught the ball. My alternate choices, Mike Ditka or Dave Casper, could also catch and block. Not many TEs from Kellen Winslow and later could block much except for Rob Gronkowski — they were basically just big wideouts.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:19 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
OK, without looking at any of the other lists, and off the top of my head, I'm going with:

QB Peyton Manning
RB Jim Brown
RB Earl Campbell
RB Walter Payton
WR Jerry Rice

WR Randy Moss

WR Don Hutson

TE Antonio Gates

I'm not going to select any offensive linemen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football