Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:36 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The Packers don't have the same front office as they did in the 90's, and Packer fans like Susan could probably give more incite on the front office. You don't have to look into it that much to see that the front office isn't doing enough to build a complete team. Simply enough, when Rodgers is playing, the Packers win. When he isn't, the Packers don't win. Besides a player or two, what on earth would give you confidence in the Packers once Rodgers is done? I don't see it.
Perhaps not but you can make the same argument for the Browns. What have they done since returning to the league that makes you think they can turn this around? I simply use history as my guide and for my money Green Bay has a better future than Cleveland.. its been that way for 30 years.. perhaps the winds are changing but i wont believe it until i see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Perhaps not but you can make the same argument for the Browns. What have they done since returning to the league that makes you think they can turn this around? I simply use history as my guide and for my money Green Bay has a better future than Cleveland.. its been that way for 30 years.. perhaps the winds are changing but i wont believe it until i see it.

Firing Hue and the OC was a good sign that they're serious. That was basically a "Hey, this situation is BS.. both of you get out of here, that's not the environment/culture that we want here."

Browns have really seemed to make an effort the last 2 years or so of rebuilding and doing it through the draft.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:36 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
No, Green Bay doesn't have a better future than Cleveland right now. Aaron Rodgers is starting to go into the twilight of his career. You can't use history (good or bad) to judge the present or the future. Presently, Green Bay's front office is a mess the GM has to answer to somebody who doesn't have a front office position. At least with Browns you have a young core to build around as opposed to an older core in Green Bay. FYI, John Dorsey is also from Green Bay.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:44 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I can't argue with the previous post. Plus not only Dorsey but 2 others Wolf and Highsmith followed him to Cleveland.

Murphy put the previous structure back, made Gute the GM and those 2 guys left. I think Eliott Wolf (Ron Wolf's son) thought he would get the job.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The Packers job is of course more prestigious.

However, I think that with all the money they sank towards Rodgers, his god-like status there and the condition of the rest of the team that this could be a challenging few years for them and the new coach could quite easily find themselves the scapegoat. Especially if it starts looking like getting trade value for Rodgers to a contender ever came to pass. (I remember the environment after Favre left)

I guess, higher expectations and possible trouble brewin' is a recipe for disaster.

That being said, I think if you go out and tap a talented young coordinator they'll be hungry for whatever they're offered.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Packers job is of course more prestigious.

However, I think that with all the money they sank towards Rodgers, his god-like status there and the condition of the rest of the team that this could be a challenging few years for them and the new coach could quite easily find themselves the scapegoat. Especially if it starts looking like getting trade value for Rodgers to a contender ever came to pass. (I remember the environment after Favre left)

I guess, higher expectations and possible trouble brewin' is a recipe for disaster.

That being said, I think if you go out and tap a talented young coordinator they'll be hungry for whatever they're offered.
Great points.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:08 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
I don't look at history, because past history is exactly what it is - history. A lot of poorly ran teams are currently in the NFL with great history. My team, one of them! I don't go by history of what my team used to be to determine how they will be in the future. I look at what they're doing now. What are the Packers doing now verses the Browns?

Old 12-14-2018, 02:40 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I read all of these with interest because they all make sense! It will depend on what the individual person looks at in terms of their vision, perspective, how they think they fit in with what either of these teams is doing.

There is no right or wrong answer, of course, I think GB is a great choice but working with a young team, up and coming QB has great potential, too.

All is all it will be interesting to see which way both teams go, this off season is going to be interesting, no doubt!

Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't look at history, because past history is exactly what it is - history. A lot of poorly ran teams are currently in the NFL with great history. My team, one of them! I don't go by history of what my team used to be to determine how they will be in the future. I look at what they're doing now. What are the Packers doing now verses the Browns?
Well, the browns have a 20 year skidmark behind them so you'll have to forgive us if we aren't willing to project them to "good things".

I mean seriously, are we supposed to get *excited* because EVEN THEIR WIKI PAGE hides their past seasons. >.<

I'm not even a Packers fan, but when your wiki page won't even link your history....well, that's an admission of shame.

You don't win 1 game in 2 years being "well run".

Old 12-15-2018, 03:06 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
I should bookmark this thread so I can bump it back up in a year or 2 or 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football