Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:21 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
“Better” will always be subjective. There are a lot of people who still consider the NFL an infinitely superior product. Count me among them. The NFL playoffs are so much better than college bowl season and that half ass playoff the NCAA has.
^^ This. There is no way I can go with College is better than the NFL. I pretty much hate college football because of the playoff systems, and the manipulation of them.

And I know the Cardinals were horrible this season, but I would much rather watch New England play the Cardinals than Alabama play The Citadel a million times out of a million.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:47 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,612,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
True, but even the worst NFL team would obliterate the best college team.
For sure. Talent aside the NFL is better. More parity, less blow outs and the biggest names and records to be set and broken.

I love how after two weeks the talk was could Alabama beat the Bills. And Vegas setting a spread at like Alabama +26 of the teams hypothetically played. The public loves to think the best college team could hang with the worst NFL team. Then the Bills promptly curb stopped the Vikings in Minnesota.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:48 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
The college game has come a long way. I can't watch that much football though so I really have to pick college or the Eagles. And the Eagles still win, so...…….

Old 01-01-2019, 08:55 PM

17,983 posts, read 27,442,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
True, but even the worst NFL team would obliterate the best college team.
Who gives flip about that? Not I for instance.

That's like saying a 5a high school football team would annihilate a 1A 11 man team. Doesn't mean Limon vs Meeker isn't an awesome venue.

Oh, but the Enver Donkos can beat the Hoehne Farmers by golly.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:20 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
What's not to like about a sport where we already know that Alabama will be in the Championship Game before the first game is kicked off?

Old 01-02-2019, 05:57 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,917,054 times
I would much rather go to a college game of a team I FOLLOW than any NFL game.

That said, in most instances you'll see a better game when ANY 2 NFL teams play each other than the common possibility of a totally mismatched college game.

The playoff system of the NFL is far better and more interesting than the mess that is the major college bowl setup. At least all other college divisions have meaningful playoffs.

Now, basketball? You might have to give me tickets to go to an NBA game. It's gotten so boring. It's college basketball by a mile.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:34 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I would much rather go to a college game of a team I FOLLOW than any NFL game.

That said, in most instances you'll see a better game when ANY 2 NFL teams play each other than the common possibility of a totally mismatched college game.

The playoff system of the NFL is far better and more interesting than the mess that is the major college bowl setup. At least all other college divisions have meaningful playoffs.

Now, basketball? You might have to give me tickets to go to an NBA game. It's gotten so boring. It's college basketball by a mile.
I'm with you, love college basketball and the NBA is no different than my Alabama reference above. A sport when the champion is pre-determined is no longer a sport, it's pro wrestling. I honestly have no idea why an Oklahoma City fan would have any hope of a title despite having a good team. That's just not the case in the other pro sports.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:39 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
People eat just peanut butter sandwiches? Is it the last thing they eat before they choke and die?
Hahaha I just had three peanut butter sandwiches the day before yesterday, still alive to type this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

College basketball is not more exciting than the NBA to me. College sports in general is messy. The politics are archaic, confusing and rigid. The NCAA tournament is just like the football bowl season, everybody gets a turn! (I will admit though, it's more exciting than bowl season, greater chance for upset). They keep expanding the "play in" games, expanding the field in the tournament. The same schools dominate. Regular season college basketball has all these mini-tournaments and the regular season games keep going up. College sports were better when there were fewer bowls, fewer teams got in the tournament, and there were fewer regular season games...

I can't stand the super fandom of college athletics. Those are some of the worst fans around. I have some programs I have a passing interest in but I don't watch or follow religiously how I do pro ball...

Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm with you, love college basketball and the NBA is no different than my Alabama reference above. A sport when the champion is pre-determined is no longer a sport, it's pro wrestling. I honestly have no idea why an Oklahoma City fan would have any hope of a title despite having a good team. That's just not the case in the other pro sports.
The NBA has always been the major league that has lacked parity compared to the others. What was the point of being an NBA fan in the 2000s if you weren't a Spurs or Lakers fan (those teams won 7/10 championships in that decade). Were you saying the champion was predetermined then?

Or what about the 90s when the Bulls won 6 in 8 years? Was there a point in being a fan of any other team? Was the champion predetermined? Or what about the 80s when the Lakers and Celtics won 8 of the 10 championships that decade?

The casual NBA observer loves to act like one or two teams dominating the sport is new. This is the story of the NBA from its origination. There is always one or two teams that go on these dynastic tears. The NBA's fatal flaw, among only a few that it even has, is that it has struggled to create parity throughout its entire existence. It is a player oriented league and everything is about market size, in that light much like MLB...

I'm defending the NBA here, but I don't think it's a better product than the NFL. I just don't like when people talk about the current era of 1-2 team dominance, but many of those same people loved the handful of teams repeatedly dominating the league in decades past. Revisionist history and/or embarrassingly short memories, because one doesn't have to look far into the past to see more of the same. The Golden State Warriors didn't reinvent the wheel here...

The irony is that this year, nearly halfway through the season, has shown more parity than the NBA has had in a long, long time. The Top 5 seeds in the East are only separated by 5.5 games, and the Top 8 seeds in the West are only separated by 4.5 games. There is a ton of parity through the first half of the season. Even the assumed "best teams" are alternately losing games to other teams, it's becoming "Any Given Night". We'll see if this parity holds for the duration of the year...

Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Who gives flip about that? Not I for instance.

That's like saying a 5a high school football team would annihilate a 1A 11 man team. Doesn't mean Limon vs Meeker isn't an awesome venue.

Oh, but the Enver Donkos can beat the Hoehne Farmers by golly.
Kudos for the Hoehne Farmers reference. Nobody outside Colorado, probably many within, won't have a clue who you're talking about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.