Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:24 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the non call on the PI was terrible but the Saints play calling on that series was atrocious.
After the long catch, they should have run the ball on 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down and make the Rams use their 2 timeouts.
Worse case scenario Saints kick the FG and the Rams have maybe 45 seconds and no timeouts to drive down the field and attempt to kick the game tying FG.
Instead, the Rams had about 1:40 & a timeout to spare.
Not sure why these coaches have an aversion to going conservative when the situation calls for it.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
The AFC Championship may also be tarnished by officiating controversy. Refs called roughing the passer against the Chiefs on a play that was clearly not.

Whatever the outcome the NFL needs to take a serious look into the quality of NFL refs this season. Are the rules too convoluted? Is training lacking? Fans are lacking trust more than ever and this needs to be addressed.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:53 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Blatant interference was not called by the refs. Would have secured game winning field goal by the Saints.
Yup, refs blew NFC Championship Game period.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The AFC Championship may also be tarnished by officiating controversy. Refs called roughing the passer against the Chiefs on a play that was clearly not.

Whatever the outcome the NFL needs to take a serious look into the quality of NFL refs this season. Are the rules too convoluted? Is training lacking? Fans are lacking trust more than ever and this needs to be addressed.
Vegas and TV ratings control the outcome of NFL games these days. Been this way for a while. NFL have the same license as WWE, basically an entertainment license, so this is nothing new.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:13 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
I've seen bad PI calls before. I really don't think I've ever seen a more blatant miss than that one to steal a victory from a team.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:41 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

how about the offensive pass interference on the Chiefs last TD in the 4th quarter....that was an illegal pick. Even Romo said that was illegal and Belichick was mad about it that he threw his game pad. That resulted in a TD for the Chiefs....the call that you are referring it wasn't a scoring TD....The Chiefs had plenty of time and plays to shut down Brady and they couldn't touch him.

and Chief secondary defense got away with a lot of holding that weren't call.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 PM

that was a bad call because it was 2 fouls....P.I. and illegal hit to the head to a defenseless receiver.......you can't miss both calls.......even if you give the defender the benefit of the doubt on the P.I., you have to call the personal foul hit to the head.....that would have been 15 yards, first down and pretty much the game over, the Rams couldn't stop the clock.

when refs miss 2 obvious fouls in the same play with the same players it's a black eye for the league.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:10 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
Do you understand how bad that looked ? How can anyone watch this garbage anymore? This was as blatant as Game 6 Of the NBA Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and the Kings, where the Lakers were awarded 18 more free throws then Sacramento , all in order to allow a Game 7. It was then I stopped watching the NBA and I would never watch the NFL again. Any of you who can’t answer me respectfully and insult me well suit yourself if you want to patronize and/or watch a tainted product, because that is exactly what this NFC championship game was. And I am not a fan of either team involved. All i ask for is a fair game.

Hellion, they didn’t miss those calls. They knew exactly what transpired but rigged it because Goodell would rather have Los Angeles in the SB then tiny little New Orleans, after all that’s why he pushed for years to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post

Hellion, they didn’t miss those calls. They knew exactly what transpired but rigged it because Goodell would rather have Los Angeles in the SB then tiny little New Orleans, after all that’s why he pushed for years to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles.

maybe....or maybe the ref didn't want to throw the flag because he knew the game would have been over and didn't want his call to decide the game, it a very tight game.

there was 2 fouls on the play...and this should have never gone to OT.....the hit to the head to a defenseless receiver was the obvious call and they blew it....This wasn't even a close play to call the 2 fouls....the defender didn't play the ball, he went after directly at receiver and didn't even made any attempts to play the ball and got there early and hit him on the helmet.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:37 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
It was obvious an LA team was getting to the Super Bowl this year...……..and it certainly wasn't going to be the Chargers!

I'm all for letting the players on the field decide the game, if both guys are fighting for the ball obviously let it go, if both initiate contact at the same time let it go. The CB for the Rams wasn't even looking for the ball and just ran over the receiver. This is akin to a player going in for a layup in basketball getting pushed in the back, and not having a foul called. I don't care what the time and score is, if something is as egregious as that is, it has to be called a penalty.

I'm with Sithlord here, one of either 2 things:
1) Either these officials are incompetent, so they need better training with regards to rules, made full time so they can get more training, or get phased out for newer officials that may know what the rules are
2) The NFL is becoming the WWE were games are predetermined before they start.

I would hope it's just the officials are incompetent, need better training on what the rules are and how to enforce them and not number 2, but then I see the roughing the passer "penalty" on Brady there in the 4th and am thinking even if you are incompetent how the hell can you miss that?? My dog would've seen it was a hit in the shoulder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football